Correct SMA adapter?

I want to try my Diamond mag mount UHF/VHF antenna with a Baofeng UV 5R. It works great with my Icom ID 51 and 92 AD in the car or on a sheet pan. Looking at the adapters, it seems there are some with, and some without "RP" or a reverse polarity type of construction. I'm thinking the Boobrie SMA Male to SMA Female Connector RF SMA Coax Coaxial Cable Adapter brand item looks right and makes sense, but, I don't want to Bork the radio or my signal making the wrong choice. Or is the RFAdapter SMA Male to RP-SMA Female Adapter the proper type? It seems to be a higher quality construction, but who knows what is marketing hype and what actually contributes to performance...

3 hours ago, 808Beachbum said:

I want to try my Diamond mag mount UHF/VHF antenna with a Baofeng UV 5R. It works great with my Icom ID 51 and 92 AD in the car or on a sheet pan. Looking at the adapters, it seems there are some with, and some without "RP" or a reverse polarity type of construction. I'm thinking the Boobrie SMA Male to SMA Female Connector RF SMA Coax Coaxial Cable Adapter brand item looks right and makes sense, but, I don't want to Bork the radio or my signal making the wrong choice. Or is the RFAdapter SMA Male to RP-SMA Female Adapter the proper type? It seems to be a higher quality construction, but who knows what is marketing hype and what actually contributes to performance...

You wouldn’t bork your radio with the wrong adapter. It just wouldn’t fit. 
Just make sure it looks like what you’re adapting to. 

13 hours ago, Sshannon said:

You wouldn’t bork your radio with the wrong adapter. It just wouldn’t fit. 
Just make sure it looks like what you’re adapting to. 

The adapters I am looking at appear identical, yet, as noted, some brands mention "reverse polarity", which indicates to me that they are electrically different. Normally, in coax cable, the outer conductor, or "shield" is grounded, which is why I am asking...  I know that with other "gadgets", some patch cords are straight, while some are reversed with respect to the pins, but I have not run across this particular term for just a straight male to female adapter with no cabling. Just being cautious...would hate to damage a $27 radio 😆

IMG_3905.thumb.jpeg.b033bebbec32979abaaa74191a547246.jpeg

18 minutes ago, 808Beachbum said:

The adapters I am looking at appear identical, yet, as noted, some brands mention "reverse polarity", which indicates to me that they are electrically different. Normally, in coax cable, the outer conductor, or "shield" is grounded, which is why I am asking...  I know that with other "gadgets", some patch cords are straight, while some are reversed with respect to the pins, but I have not run across this particular term for just a straight male to female adapter with no cabling. Just being cautious...would hate to damage a $27 radio 😆

No, reverse polarity has nothing to do with electrical polarity. RF is AC. 
SMA connectors have an outer threaded sleeve and an inner pin/socket. Sometimes the SMA connector on the radio will have the male pin paired with the female threaded sleeve. The antenna will have the female center socket surrounded by a male threaded sleeve. 
But it’s possible to order SMA connectors that pair the male threaded sleeve and the male center pin. The matching connector will be the female sleeve and female center connector. 
So there are four permutations of the SMA. I don’t know which is considered Reverse Polarity. I just buy what looks right. 
Most of my radios have a female threaded socket and male center pin, but one has a male threaded sleeve and female center socket. 
Just be careful to exactly match the mechanical configuration. 

15 minutes ago, 808Beachbum said:

Picture = 1,000 words.

image.thumb.png.fde474f4c2a7326be11fbce02ac27ef4.png

OK, thanks all, @WRQC527 your pic did help. Besides the "reverse polarity" terminology, the Baofeng has both internal and external threading, which, although I understand the external threads are for the retaining nut for the terminal, were still throwing me off. I have just been overthinking it... 🤔

1 hour ago, WRQI663 said:

This combination works for any of my antennas --- female sma to bnc and bnc to so239

20240521_060942.jpg

I almost got connectors that look just like that but sma to bnc on both. I just liked the black ones from signal stuff more.