GMRS REPEATER Question

WRXM210

Question

Hello,

I am BRAND NEW to GMRS Communications. I am trying to connect to my first repeater, a local repeater in Los Angels (Sierra Repeater). I am using ODMaster to program channel 33 to to the information found on this page: https://mygmrs.com/repeater/7804

Are these the correct settings on ODMaster?

Channel: 33
RX Frequency: 462.550
TX Frequency: 462.550
Frequency Hop: OFF
DEC: OFF
ENC: OFF
TX Power: High
W-N: W
Busy Lock: OFF
SCAN_ADD: OFF
PTT ID: OFF
Name: Norwalk
Scramble: OFF

Thank you in advance in helping me understand repeaters.

Richard

14 answers to this question

25 minutes ago, WRXM210 said:

Hello,

I am BRAND NEW to GMRS Communications. I am trying to connect to my first repeater, a local repeater in Los Angels (Sierra Repeater). I am using ODMaster to program channel 33 to to the information found on this page: https://mygmrs.com/repeater/7804

Are these the correct settings on ODMaster?

Channel: 33
RX Frequency: 462.550
TX Frequency: 462.550
Frequency Hop: OFF
DEC: OFF
ENC: OFF
TX Power: High
W-N: W
Busy Lock: OFF
SCAN_ADD: OFF
PTT ID: OFF
Name: Norwalk
Scramble: OFF

Thank you in advance in helping me understand repeaters.

Richard

Did you ask the owner for the tones.  You haven’t listed them and they are not public. And yes the transmit needs to be 467.550

7 minutes ago, gortex2 said:

TX needs to be 476.550. You will also need to get the input tones from the repeater owner by requesting access.

Thank you for the response. I did request access from the owner, but haven't yet heard back. 
Why is TX 476.55? I'm sure there's a simple answer, but the TX isn't listed on the repeater info (https://mygmrs.com/repeater/7804)
Again, thanks for your time and helping me understand.
Richard

It’s 467.550 he made a typo.  Repeaters always listen on 467.xxx and transmit on 462.xxx.   All gmrs repeaters should have an +5.000 off set.  Unless it’s a simplex repeater but I don’t think it is.   And you will need the input tone from the owner or you won’t open the repeater.  

14 minutes ago, WRXP381 said:

Did you ask the owner for the tones.  You haven’t listed them and they are not public. And yes the transmit needs to be 467.550

2 minutes ago, WRXP381 said:

It’s 467.550 he made a typo.  Repeaters always listen on 467.xxx and transmit on 462.xxx.   All gmrs repeaters should have an +5.000 off set.  Unless it’s a simplex repeater but I don’t think it is.   And you will need the input tone from the owner or you won’t open the repeater.  

Ah, got it! Thank you for the clarification!

39 minutes ago, WRXP381 said:

I tried to change the TX frequency to 467.55, but when I save it, it reverts back to the same frequency as RX frequency in OD Master. Any thoughts as to why it won't accept another frequency in this slot?

10 minutes ago, WRXM210 said:

I tried to change the TX frequency to 467.55, but when I save it, it reverts back to the same frequency as RX frequency in OD Master. Any thoughts as to why it won't accept another frequency in this slot?

Are you programming in the proper offset for the repeater channel? The offset should be set to a + 5 MHz.

11 hours ago, WRXM210 said:

Thank you for the response. I did request access from the owner, but haven't yet heard back. 
Why is TX 476.55? I'm sure there's a simple answer, but the TX isn't listed on the repeater info (https://mygmrs.com/repeater/7804)
Again, thanks for your time and helping me understand.
Richard

And you probably won't. Most of the repeater owners in the LA area that have their tones unlisted with permission required have a habit of not responding.

11 hours ago, WRXM210 said:

You might not be on a repeater channel.  1-22 are simplex channels, which transmit on the same frequency they receive. But there are eight repeater channels which allow the repeater to transmit while simultaneously receiving.  Doing both at the same time is called Duplex. Different manufacturers denote those channels differently.  Some continue the numbering scheme and refer to them as channels 23-30, others repeat the 15-22 numbers but prepend or append RP to the channel, like 15RP, to indicate that they are repeater channels.

Repeaters receive on the 467 MHz main frequencies and transmit at exactly the same time on the 462 MHz main channels. That’s referred to as an offset and it is generally exactly 5.000 MHz for UHF channels (in ham radio also). They need an offset to be able to transmit while receiving. So, in your radio there should be eight repeater channels which are programmed to receive on exactly the same 462.xxx frequencies as 15-22, but which transmit on the main 467.xxx frequencies, where xxx is typically the same for both.  You need to use one of those.

7 hours ago, Sshannon said:

You might not be on a repeater channel.  1-22 are simplex channels, which transmit on the same frequency they receive. But there are eight repeater channels which allow the repeater to transmit while simultaneously receiving.  Doing both at the same time is called Duplex. Different manufacturers denote those channels differently.  Some continue the numbering scheme and refer to them as channels 23-30, others repeat the 15-22 numbers but prepend or append RP to the channel, like 15RP, to indicate that they are repeater channels.

Repeaters receive on the 467 MHz main frequencies and transmit at exactly the same time on the 462 MHz main channels. That’s referred to as an offset and it is generally exactly 5.000 MHz for UHF channels (in ham radio also). They need an offset to be able to transmit while receiving. So, in your radio there should be eight repeater channels which are programmed to receive on exactly the same 462.xxx frequencies as 15-22, but which transmit on the main 467.xxx frequencies, where xxx is typically the same for both.  You need to use one of those.

I totally agree that's what I read in owners manual for all six of my owners manual 

On 5/21/2024 at 6:03 PM, WRXM210 said:

It sounds like you are using the app.  I had the same problem. I use the web based ODmaster. You can use the “add frequency plan” and it will have everything correct. I uploaded it it my TD H3 and it was happy happy. https://web.odmaster.net

On 5/21/2024 at 7:08 PM, gortex2 said:

TX needs to be 476.550. You will also need to get the input tones from the repeater owner by requesting access.

TX should be 467.550, along with whatever tone it requires.