Ground wire

WSCU736

Question

13 answers to this question

2 hours ago, Jasper said:

Can you run the ground wire right next to the coax line? Or wrap it around the coax?

I don’t understand why you would. Run it to a ground rod. Then bond that ground rod to you utility service ground. 

Rather than start a new thread I thought I’d jump in here with a similar question. I plan on running my coax down the antenna mast then attaching a bronze ground clamp to the mast about 4 feet off the ground where I’ll run 10 AWG wire to the utility co’s ground rod. My coax will continue down the mast and make its way to my new $1,500 repeater. But I’ll install a lightning arrestor between the coax and the repeater. 

Just a little apprehensive that my coax will be zip tied to the mast that will hopefully divert the electric charge down the wire to the rod and not continue down the coax. And even if it does it will be greeted with the arrestor. Am I pretty safe with this setup?

All good advice given by others. Definitely go with 6 gauge wire for grounding the mast/tower. I do run 10 gauge from my lightning arrestors to ground, but that is such short run. 

I made my own wall passthrough which has a piece of 1/4" all thread for a grounding point. All of my lightning arrestors are attached to it with 10 gauge wire and I have a single 6 gauge wire going from the all thread to my ground rod.

Thanks for the advice to you both. I not only upgraded my mast ground wire to 6AWG, I also stepped up the coax to LMR400 (from RG8X). It took two 25’ cables to reach from my antenna to my repeater which is in the bedroom on the other side of the wall. I put the lightening arrestor between. That and the mast are attached to the ground rod. Am I good? 

IMG_1498.jpeg

IMG_1496.jpeg

29 minutes ago, back4more70 said:

I can appreciate all of these questions, but does no one ever hire an electrician?

I did. But he just did what I asked him to do. I guess the only thing outside of his scope was where I put the lightening arrestor - which was really the only place I could put it without splicing one of the 25’ coax. He did a great job. Guess I was just showing off a bit, too. Love how it turned out. I can reach my entire neighborhood now and have a B-Tech RPT50 Repeater inside. 

The mess in my close-up photo that consists of the orange and black wires (with white paint) aren’t on me. That’s Comcast I think 😐

On 7/20/2024 at 6:08 AM, WSBT338 said:

IMG_1498.jpeg

I don’t want to be negative here but your electrician may want to familiarize themselves with the electrical code section 110.26 Spaces About Electrical Equipment. Particularly the section and tables on working clearances. Your local utilities company also will have rules.