How are you notified by FCC

Guest Toby

Guest Toby

I applied for my GMRS license today. When approved, how does FCC notify me and tell me my call sign? Is it through email?

Yes, they will notify you via email, but many people (such as myself) never see the email.  it usually takes 2-5 business days and you can check the status by logging into the system with your FRN and stumbling your way to the "my licenses" (i don't recall the exact wording, but you'll see it) link.

• 1 month later...

I received my email in around two days, click on the Licensing Manager link in the email you receive and log in, and it should take you right to your license page, at least mine does. My brother got his in less than twenty-four hours, had to help him over the phone navigate the site. It's bad enough doing it yourself when you have some decent computer skills, it's probably one of the worst government websites to navigate.

Guest geauxgreddy

Just applied for my GMRS license...that was way too many clicks to simply enter my basic information and pay.  I apply for permits for a living and this was a complete cluster. I wonder if they could they make it MORE inefficient and confusing? 🤣  

2 hours ago, Guest geauxgreddy said:

Just applied for my GMRS license...that was way too many clicks to simply enter my basic information and pay.  I apply for permits for a living and this was a complete cluster. I wonder if they could they make it MORE inefficient and confusing? 🤣  

They say you don't have to test for a GMRS license... navigating the fcc website IS the test😃

Guest Masa

I got license!

After getting license, what should I do?

Can I buy GMRS trancsiever? 

Please let me know how to use my call sign?

Should I say my GMRS callsign when I talk by transceiver like radio amateur?

Please let me know the process after getting license.

31 minutes ago, Guest Masa said:

I got license!

After getting license, what should I do?

Can I buy GMRS trancsiever? 

Please let me know how to use my call sign?

Should I say my GMRS callsign when I talk by transceiver like radio amateur?

Please let me know the process after getting license.

Yes, you could have even before getting a license  

Just say your call sign once in a great while. You don’t have to spell it out. And if you neglect saying it probably nobody will notice. 
Push the button and talk. 

• After getting license, what should I do? -- Start talking with your friends 
  • Can I buy GMRS trancsiever? -- You always could, anyone can.
  • Please let me know how to use my call sign?--  Press the talk button, say your callsign in plain, normal-person english, then start talking
  • Should I say my GMRS callsign when I talk by transceiver like radio amateur? -- Give your callsign at the beginning of your transmissions or at least once every 15 minutes
  • Please let me know the process after getting license. -- The process is:  start talking to your friends on your radio

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, by email. The email give you instructions on how to print out your license.  Usually, it is just a link to view the license.

I applied for another Business Radio Service License on Aug 1, and I received the email for the new license yesterday (8-8-24). The FCC turn around time is pretty quick these as compared to several years ago. Even the on-line application is a tremendous improvement over the paper Form 601 or 605 forms

On 7/31/2024 at 9:24 PM, OffRoaderX said:
  •  
  • Should I say my GMRS callsign when I talk by transceiver like radio amateur? -- Give your callsign at the beginning of your transmissions or at least once every 15 minutes
  •  

Slight correction ( and said with love!) It's nice to ID when you start talking, but the requirement is every 15 minutes and at the end of your transmission.

46 minutes ago, Davichko5650 said:

Slight correction ( and said with love!) It's nice to ID when you start talking, but the requirement is every 15 minutes and at the end of your transmission.

I would like to hear a call sign at the beginning of the transmission so I can address the person on the other end.

1 hour ago, back4more70 said:

I would like to hear a call sign at the beginning of the transmission so I can address the person on the other end.

If it were a random contact, I would also like that. More often than not it's my wife, son or the couple friends I converse with locally and we know each other's voices well enough.  On group rides, same thing unless there's a new driver who is licensed that we've not spoken with before. Again, as a general rule, I don't answer random callers on the repeaters or simplex  freqs. I hear, not why I got GMRS.  YMMV of course.

1 minute ago, CALO50 said:

I tell people that's the actual test for the license.

People keep saying this. I must be the odd man out here as I've never had any issues using the ULS system for my licenses. Also have found the FCC phone helpline has some very good people on it. Super helpful and knowledgeable. Much better than dealing with my "friends" at a certain Dept. of the Treasury service!

7 minutes ago, Davichko5650 said:

People keep saying this. I must be the odd man out here as I've never had any issues using the ULS system for my licenses. Also have found the FCC phone helpline has some very good people on it. Super helpful and knowledgeable. Much better than dealing with my "friends" at a certain Dept. of the Treasury service!

I’ve also had great experiences with the FCC Helpline, and I’m able to find my way through ULS, but it’s certainly not intuitive.
I’ve also had great experiences dealing with ATF (both as a 40 year former FFL and in meetings with leaders because of rocketry), BLM, IRS, and FAA.  I know it’s popular to bash government agencies, but the vast majority of employees I’ve dealt with have been extremely conscientious and sincere in wanting to help.