GRMS Needed?

Guest mav375

Guest mav375

I'm am just getting into overlanding. I don't see any reason to get a gmrs radio as cell coverage is everywhere except some areas in mountains. Am I wrong?

Short answer: yes, you're wrong.
Longer, more nuanced answer: It depends on where you are and how comfortable you are being solely reliant on cell service if something goes wrong.

I spent most of last week in areas with at best spotty (but usually no) cell coverage running GMRS radios for car-to-car and hiker-to-hiker comms. Worked great.

FRS radios would work for most of that, but there are places without cell coverage where I can talk through some of our mountain-top repeaters that, were I or someone I was with to get hurt, we could call for help even without cell service. That's an edge case of an edge case, mind, but it's nice to have as a backup.

18 minutes ago, WRXB215 said:

Ultimately only you can answer that question.

This!

If a person only goes where there’s guaranteed cell service (that’s not overlanding!), and only wants to talk to one person at a time (possibly two) and doesn’t want the convenience of pushing one button, and doesn’t need to monitor others in the party, then cell phones are fine. 

30 minutes ago, Guest mav375 said:

I'm am just getting into overlanding. I don't see any reason to get a gmrs radio as cell coverage is everywhere except some areas in mountains. Am I wrong?

I don’t think there is a requirement to get Gmrs.  If you don’t want it then don’t get it.  

It does prove useful in those areas without cell coverage and is fairly easy and cheap insurance.  

Since you plan on over landing I would add that if you wish to communicate with someone outside of the vehicle while they spot your tire placement or backing up, navigating obstacles, if you travel with other people in other vehicles or even a group. Sometimes a radio is better. It depends on your needs.

Let's be real here.

You're coming to a forum full of GMRS users and asking if you really need GMRS for your situation.

What kinds of answers did you honestly think you'd get?

If you don't think you need it, then don't get a radio or a license. If/when you think it would benefit you, get a couple of radios and a license. It's $3.50 per year for a license. Overlanding doesn't tend to be an inexpensive hobby, so surely the entry fee for GMRS won't put you in a financial bind.

3 hours ago, Guest mav375 said:

You're stirring the pot is what you're doing. This is a website devoted to those of us who use and find value in GMRS. If you have a specific question about the use of GMRS, GMRS equipment, how-tos, etiquette, that kind of thing, fire away. I think most of us here would recommend GMRS for what you're doing, but since you've already decided it's useless to you, I think we'd be talking to a wall.

3 hours ago, Guest mav375 said:

(assuming this is not a troll)

I cannot think of anyone who off-roads who doesn't at least consider getting a radio in addition to their cell phone. If you are overlanding, I assume you are pretty self sufficient and getting high centered or somehow otherwise stuck on a trail is no big deal. Perhaps you tear a hole in your gas tank, oops. there's a zillion ways you might need help or just want the lowdown on what's around. Radios might help.

do you need a GMRS radio? who knows?!  what region are you offroading? are you with friends, ever need spotting on the trail? hand signals, yelling out the window work pretty well. have you thought about CB? what worries you and makes you consider it in the first place?

I hope the OP doesn't hit the dirt in remote areas by himself (solo vehicle) and get involved in an incident. Also, don't go off-road with just a cheap Chinese POS handheld radio. You should be equipped with a reliable 50 watt mobile GMRS radio with a mobile antenna.

57 minutes ago, nokones said:

I hope the OP doesn't hit the dirt in remote areas by himself (solo vehicle) and get involved in an incident. Also, don't go off-road with just a cheap Chinese POS handheld radio. You should be equipped with a reliable 50 watt mobile GMRS radio with a mobile antenna.

In a truly remote area (like the kind of places I go every weekend) there will not be any difference between a $18 Baofeng and a $300 50-Watt GMRS radio because neither will do any good.

Nobody NEEDS some technology that could save them trouble. All you really need overlanding is a backpack full of water, map, compass, and some nonperishable food, along with good hiking boots so you can walk out for help.

As for GMRS vs cell, one will reach whoever is listening, which may be nobody, and one will reach the party you call if there's a cell tower in range. In both cases getting to high ground can help. GMRS isn't the only safety communication option, and in a given situation it may not even be the best option. But it has a lot of uses in group activities, and the added benefit of possibly allowing you to call for help.

Or you can try smoke signals.

12 hours ago, OffRoaderX said:

In a truly remote area (like the kind of places I go every weekend) there will not be any difference between a $18 Baofeng and a $300 50-Watt GMRS radio because neither will do any good.

Totally true. That is why I have the Garmin Inreach Satellite Service and it works great.