Wouxun KG-935 Plus frequency limits

numnutz6383

Question

I'm trying to set up my 935 to receive a few surrounding town public safety frequencies. One of them falls beyond the specified limit in the manual (Receive (RX) Frequency Range: 136-174.995 MHz 400-479.995 MH). The frequency I need to program is 484.400. I noticed in CHIRP there is a section called "Frequency Limit" that appears to be adjustable. Can I adjust the upper frequency of the 935 in CHIRP without risking damage to the radio, and am I running afoul of the FCC given that radio was certified (or whatever the term is) at the specified frequency range?

19 answers to this question

9 minutes ago, numnutz6383 said:

I'm trying to set up my 935 to receive a few surrounding town public safety frequencies. One of them falls beyond the specified limit in the manual (Receive (RX) Frequency Range: 136-174.995 MHz 400-479.995 MH). The frequency I need to program is 484.400. I noticed in CHIRP there is a section called "Frequency Limit" that appears to be adjustable. Can I adjust the upper frequency of the 935 in CHIRP without risking damage to the radio, and am I running afoul of the FCC given that radio was certified (or whatever the term is) at the specified frequency range?

As long as it’s only for receive neither the radio nor the FCC will mind. Try it and see.

16 minutes ago, SteveShannon said:

As long as it’s only for receive neither the radio nor the FCC will mind. Try it and see.

This. It probably won't work *as well* but chances are it'll do what you want.

I am curious if it will work, though would be surprised if it did.

I have all my local emergency services programmed into my 935G+ but I did not use a computer. That radio is very easy to program from the front panel.

Let us know how it goes.

Before I asked the question I programmed channel 999 with 484.400 via CHIRP (before I realized the frequency limits). After the settings were uploaded I looked at the Channel 999 in Frequency mode and the frequency displayed was 400.0250, so there appears to be some automatic reset of the frequency if the programmed frequency exceeds that for which the radio is specified.

9 minutes ago, WRWE456 said:

I am curious if it will work, though would be surprised if it did.

I have all my local emergency services programmed into my 935G+ but I did not use a computer. That radio is very easy to program from the front panel.

Let us know how it goes.

I just attempted to enter 484.400 via the keypad and same result, I got a double beep and a reset to 400.0250.

1 hour ago, numnutz6383 said:

...so there appears to be some automatic reset of the frequency if the programmed frequency exceeds that for which the radio is specified.

The OEM software behaves the same.

Negative, haven't had a chance yet. I emailed buytwowayradios.com to get their opinion and received the following reply:

"It's hard to say conclusively as that is very close to the factory limit. It's unlikely that the radio will be damaged merely by receiving a transmission. More often than not transmitting on bands the radio is not built for will either just not work, or work badly and damage the unit. I do want you to be aware though that using the radio on bands it's not rated for will void the warranty." 

Which is essentially what the replies I received here are.