Radio Range

I am brand new to GMRS and just bought 2 Baofeng GM-15 Pro radios. I set up one of the channels on both radios for privacy codes and at home they work great. The range is a different story, however. Very limited (a couple blocks at most).

What is the expected range of these radios? If limited, do I need to connect to a repeater?

I’ve performed many radio checks on various channels with no responses whatsoever. 

I’d be grateful for any tips and tricks for a new user.

Many thanks.

There are a lot of variables that affects range. Buildings/structures, terrain, foliage/trees will all affect the range of GMRS and other UHF radios. Hand held radios will also be a little handicapped due to the low power level and short antennas.

People in urban areas or hilly and heavily forested areas will have less range versus someone living in the desert or plains with good lines of sight. A few blocks to  a mile or two is normal for talking between two hand held radios, rain it depends on location.

Yup.  Totally line of site dependent. A 50watt radio in the city may only get 1-2 miles or less  then a 5w hand held radio in the open my get 30or even 50plus miles.  An upgraded antenna may help or not.  Again it’s totally dependent on line of site.  460mhz (gmrs) does not bounce much at all.  

If you can get any type of antenna up high at home and connect it to one of your hand helds that may help you.  

36 minutes ago, WSDV836 said:

I am brand new to GMRS and just bought 2 Baofeng GM-15 Pro radios. I set up one of the channels on both radios for privacy codes and at home they work great. The range is a different story, however. Very limited (a couple blocks at most).

What is the expected range of these radios? If limited, do I need to connect to a repeater?

I’ve performed many radio checks on various channels with no responses whatsoever. 

Many thanks.

I have those radios and like them.  I live in a heavily forested area and usually tell people "Half a mile, maybe two if you're lucky" when asked about range.

Try a 771-style antenna, which might help.  If you're mobile a mag mount on the roof of your vehicle will make a difference.

You can also do some testing with a family member, which can be fun too.  You might identify some key spots in your home that receive well.  If you want a significant improvement, get a small antenna and mount it on the outside of your home like others have suggested.  Just make sure it is optimized for GMRS frequencies.

44 minutes ago, WSDV836 said:

I am brand new to GMRS

Many thanks.

Welcome to the world of GMRS!  Sounds like you're on the path of discovery in trying out the radios for range.  As far as not getting responses to your radio check calls, understand that, for the most part. Most people use GMRS as a point to point, short range communications service within a small circle of family and/or friends, and are not listening for, nor responding to, other users on the air. If you are receiving the other radio you have, you do know they work. So factors such as terrain, obstructions and antennae come into play for the amount of "Fars" you will get.  He gets his share of grief from "Some People", but look up notarubicon on Youtube. Randy is a wealth of knowledge for both GMRS and Off-Roading.

Enjoy, check back in often!

17 minutes ago, OffRoaderX said:

This is why it is very important to always wear clean panties when transmitting!

And your hands and feet dry.

BTW, after seeing the video on the new $11 BooFwangs, went ahead and ordered up a pair.  Wonder if they can be programmed via Odmaster?

As others have mentioned, it's a Line of Sight (LOS) service.  The signal will only penetrate buildings and trees for very short distances.  The radio LOS is about 15% further than your visual LOS, as a quick reference.

From the ground, I can talk on Amateur Radio satellite repeaters in orbit 240+ miles above Earth.  However, my house is at the bottom of a hill and I can't talk more than a few blocks with 5 watts while in my yard.  Just the way it works.

20 minutes ago, OffRoaderX said:

This is why it is very important to always wear clean panties when transmitting!

What if I leave my FCC type approved wrist band at home?  How close to said panties could I possibly get?  Does antenna size matter?

Just now, marcspaz said:

What if I leave my FCC type approved wrist band at home?  No close to said panties could I possibly get?  Does antenna size matter?

We despeartely need your expertise over on the most excellent FB Group "a group where we all pretend to be amateur radio elmers"  Randy would also love it as we really send up the "Some People" crowd!

36 minutes ago, marcspaz said:

What if I leave my FCC type approved wrist band at home?  How close to said panties could I possibly get?  Does antenna size matter?

As long as you have your FCC approved Belt Clip, and are wearing it on your belt, you are OK. 

As close as you want on the panties, but beware the palm slap of doom from the wearer if they dont like it.

My stubby antenna works perfectly fine, at least, thats what she tells me.

😃