GMRS Transitioning to Hobbyist-Type Service?

Amateur operator with a GMRS license and also a police dispatcher.  I have no problem keeping the lingo separate.  Ten codes are common for my agency but I do not use them anywhere else.  I do hear them on ham and GMRS from a few people around here though...mostly new licensees.  Most of the GMRS folk here also have ham licenses.
Yeah you can tell by certain people, the way they speak and what codes they use. Their back grounds become apparent.

I too try to keep all the garbage out as much as possible.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

32 minutes ago, WRYZ926 said:

I sometimes slip and use military protocol on the radio but I try not to do that very often. Biggest issue for me is getting my call signs mixed up 

Sometimes I'll mess with people I know while they are on the repeater... they will ask me where I am and I'll reply "Departure, this is Viper zero one passing two thousand for two zero thousand."

13 hours ago, marcspaz said:

Sometimes I'll mess with people I know while they are on the repeater... they will ask me where I am and I'll reply "Departure, this is Viper zero one passing two thousand for two zero thousand."

I have been known to mess with the guys that like to rag chew by using military protocol. They don't like it when I say break before continuing my transmission. It is fun to mess with people at times. I've even turned the Roger beep on to mess with friends.

30 minutes ago, WRYZ926 said:

Another thing I am guilty of at times is grabbing the wrong mic. I try my best to keep my dual band mic and my GMRS mic separated but it doesn't always work out.

Have done that once, but it was in grabbing the HF radio mic instead of the 2m mic.  Heard a local friend of mine's call on the radio and jumped on and gave my callsign. I thought I'd grabbed the 2m mic and was calling him on the local repeater we both hang on, but I grabbed the HF rig mic (this was mobile and they're on mic holders right next to each other, and it was dark out) and called him.  Well he was about 7 miles from me running 500 watts and was in QSO with a guy in Idaho. Both his and the ID station were loud and clear, so I thought I was on the 146.25/85 machine. I apologized, but then he said, "join in", and we had a three-way (sorry Randy, not the grindr kind) on 20 meters.

With the GMRS now in the mobile, I can't make that mistake since the mic on the RA87 is so lightweight compared to the Kenwood 281 or Yaesu 891's mics.

1 hour ago, WRYZ926 said:

Another thing I am guilty of at times is grabbing the wrong mic. I try my best to keep my dual band mic and my GMRS mic separated but it doesn't always work out.

I have dual watch on my mobile and I'll often respond on the wrong channel.