Is this the end of GMRS Nets?

Had our net tonight.  Just simple stuff, more like a roll call of people interested in participating in said net.  We had a member pass and we held a silent moment after the net manager called out for his reply 3 times.  No reply was heard and we put his member number into the books as permanently logged off.

After that anyone interested in calling out states their ID#, call sign, name, and radio type (base, mobile or HT).  The net manager would repeat it back and log it, then state the R# for the quality of the reception into the repeater.

Today we had a member that was trying out 5 different HTs from the same area and the net manager told him how he was received on all.  Only one of his radios sounded bad, very muffled sound.  Maybe a defective microphone.

No big deal or fanfare.  At the end he would ask if there was any traffic, there never is.

1 hour ago, LeoG said:

Had our net tonight.  Just simple stuff, more like a roll call of people interested in participating in said net.  We had a member pass and we held a silent moment after the net manager called out for his reply 3 times.  No reply was heard and we put his member number into the books as permanently logged off.

After that anyone interested in calling out states their ID#, call sign, name, and radio type (base, mobile or HT).  The net manager would repeat it back and log it, then state the R# for the quality of the reception into the repeater.

Today we had a member that was trying out 5 different HTs from the same area and the net manager told him how he was received on all.  Only one of his radios sounded bad, very muffled sound.  Maybe a defective microphone.

No big deal or fanfare.  At the end he would ask if there was any traffic, there never is.

👍 I like some of the ideas in your NET like mentioning one's radio, and a measurable response about the quality of their check-in.

In the weekly Net that I participate in, the net controller almost always says everyone has a "good signal" ... and well.. sometimes to me at least it does not seem some are that strong or clear. I think it is a more practical and useful method your group is using if the purpose is to check and test communications and how they are working. I might suggest this to our net controller.

The tribute to a "permanently logged off" member also was a touching thing to do. We have members how have passed listed as "silent key" members. Many are checked in by the net controller as silent keys for a number of weeks or more after their passing in memory of their years of service to the club.

Sometimes I don't agree with the rating the net controller gives to the sound quality of some of the members.  We have a guy on the outskirts and sometimes he's an R3, other times an R7 but that's rare.  We have a couple who can touch the repeater but can't really stay connected who get R1s.  Most are R9 because they are pretty close to the repeater and the antenna is close to a 1000 feet off the ground.  And even then we have a woman who has a great signal but her modulation is very low.  I'd give an R7 but she always gets an R9.

Forgot to mention we give our location too.  Most are close but there are a few that are pretty far out.  I'm 21 miles out and one guy is 42 miles out but still shows R9 into the repeater.  Must be up on a hill himself.

I think radio club nets are boring, especially if you are not a member, but they do let you and others know about your signal strength and audio quality

which you really need to know if ever there is a need for serious comms.

It depends on why there is a net - A CERT net -- an event or drill will need a net control to keep things organized.

Different types of nets have their purposes, and you don't have to check in to it if it's not your thing. (doesn't mean you can sit there and jam it)

They should be local - not the whole state

My 2.3 cents (inflation adjusted)

22 hours ago, CaptainSarcastic said:

In days of yore, actual messages would be relayed during these traffic nets (ARRL - American Radio RELAY League)

There's a group here in southern California that still does this traffic net several times a week. Pretty dedicated bunch. 

The preamble for our 2m and GMRS Nets always starts with " this net is to test our equipment incase of an actual emergency. We decided to cut the GMRS net back to once a month but have the 2m net every week. We are also going to link our 3 70cm repeaters together since they are spread out across our area. Another plan is to have a simplex net once a month on our 2m repeater output frequency.

We have had a couple of guys use our emergency coms trailer to run the weekly net from so that we know everything is working in the trailer.

One of the local GMRS repeaters out here run a SkyWarn (storm spotter thing) every Tuesday. They run the same basic preamble that WRYZ926 posted, something like "This net is to test our equipment incase of an actual emergency. All licensed GMRS users are encouraged to check into the net, if you are SkyWarned trained or a CERT member please let us know your info when checking in". There are usually 25-35 folks that check in per week. It's actually a pretty good turnout for a stand alone repeater I think. A lot of the 2 meter nets have less check in's.

22 minutes ago, MarkInTampa said:

One of the local GMRS repeaters out here run a SkyWarn (storm spotter thing) every Tuesday. They run the same basic preamble that WRYZ926 posted, something like "This net is to test our equipment incase of an actual emergency.

While we have not activated a SkyWarn net on our GMRS repeater, we do activate it every time there is sever weather on our 2m repeater. And participating in regular nets allows everyone to know if they can reach the repeater or reach others on simplex incase of an actual emergency or SkyWarn net.

31 minutes ago, WRYZ926 said:

While we have not activated a SkyWarn net on our GMRS repeater, we do activate it every time there is sever weather on our 2m repeater. And participating in regular nets allows everyone to know if they can reach the repeater or reach others on simplex incase of an actual emergency or SkyWarn net.

I'll usually listen to the net with my 2nd VFO listening to the input frequency of the repeater. I'm 35 miles west of the repeater and find it interesting to see who I can hear on the input. If I can hear them I could probably talk simplex with them.

For grins, I mapped out the check in's of one of last months net by callsign...

bartow1.jpg

I have had a GMRS Repeater for over 20 years on 462.600 in Central Texas. Recently Bell County government decided to use up 3 of the 8 GMRS Repeater pares with a networked GMRS System. The local head of the EOC used a license in his name, since a government entity cannot be licensed for GMRS. See screen shot below of the Bell County Ownership in their own words. Bell County EOC already has Ham Repeaters, Cell Phones, and a County Wide P-25 System, so they already have several layers of communication. Linking of GMRS has never been allowed so this is not something new. This why there were never any phone patches back before cell phones became common. GMRS was designed for Family/Individual use with or without repeaters. Two guys talking who are separated by 1 mile bring up every GMRS Repeater on the network which is a supper waste of resources and blocks locals from using the repeater system. Often, as in my case, someone decides to throw up one or more repeaters without checking to see if the repeater pare is in use so they can build a network. Often the "EMERGENCY USE" Card is played to justify a system, when there are already multiple systems in existence, to cover emergency situations. Also, EMERGENCT USE is not legal if there are any other systems available such as cell phone, amateur, or government radio systems. No matter how hard you want to be able bend the rules to fit your desires, there are rules that will eventually be enforced by the FCC. As a commercial radio operator and an amateur radio operator I am glad to see the FCC step up and put a stop to linking GMRS Repeaters. Now I would like to see the FCC enforce the rules about Government Entities not being able to use GMRS as Bell County Texas has decided they will. Look up the GMRS call sign in the jpg below and you will find it belongs to the Bell County EOC Director. The guy also has an amateur extra class ham license so he should know how to read the FCC rules and know better. He just decided to "BEND" the FCC rules to get around the prohibition of Bell County getting a GMRS license from the FCC by using his GMRS license.

Bell OEM 600 Kileen 2.jpg

48 minutes ago, WB5TTY said:

I have had a GMRS Repeater for over 20 years on 462.600 in Central Texas. Recently Bell County government decided to use up 3 of the 8 GMRS Repeater pares with a networked GMRS System. The local head of the EOC used a license in his name, since a government entity cannot be licensed for GMRS. See screen shot below of the Bell County Ownership in their own words. Bell County EOC already has Ham Repeaters, Cell Phones, and a County Wide P-25 System, so they already have several layers of communication. Linking of GMRS has never been allowed so this is not something new. This why there were never any phone patches back before cell phones became common. GMRS was designed for Family/Individual use with or without repeaters. Two guys talking who are separated by 1 mile bring up every GMRS Repeater on the network which is a supper waste of resources and blocks locals from using the repeater system. Often, as in my case, someone decides to throw up one or more repeaters without checking to see if the repeater pare is in use so they can build a network. Often the "EMERGENCY USE" Card is played to justify a system, when there are already multiple systems in existence, to cover emergency situations. Also, EMERGENCT USE is not legal if there are any other systems available such as cell phone, amateur, or government radio systems. No matter how hard you want to be able bend the rules to fit your desires, there are rules that will eventually be enforced by the FCC. As a commercial radio operator and an amateur radio operator I am glad to see the FCC step up and put a stop to linking GMRS Repeaters. Now I would like to see the FCC enforce the rules about Government Entities not being able to use GMRS as Bell County Texas has decided they will. Look up the GMRS call sign in the jpg below and you will find it belongs to the Bell County EOC Director. The guy also has an amateur extra class ham license so he should know how to read the FCC rules and know better. He just decided to "BEND" the FCC rules to get around the prohibition of Bell County getting a GMRS license from the FCC by using his GMRS license.

Bell OEM 600 Kileen 2.jpg

I would head over to the FCC complaint HTML and log a complaint.   If FCC doesn’t know about it, it site unseen 

19 minutes ago, LeoG said:

Sounds like time for an anonymous letter to said individual about him misusing his license.  Just a friendly heads up.

More like a complaint filed directly to the FCC and maybe a copy sent to ‘idiot’. 

I am trying to be nice.  Let the guy know what he is doing.  That he is taking up the 3 radio frequencies that are public domain and using them for govt.  And he should be worried about someone letting the eff sea seas about his operation.

10 minutes ago, LeoG said:

I am trying to be nice.  Let the guy know what he is doing.  That he is taking up the 3 radio frequencies that are public domain and using them for govt.  And he should be worried about someone letting the eff sea seas about his operation.

He knows what he is doing. The guy being a HAM,  common.    I have no mercy for idiots.  Especially in today’s Information Age.  Let her rip….

Give him the chance to make it right before you sic the dogs of war on him.  Idiots make mistakes too.  The eff sea seas is likely going to give him a warning 1st anyway, why let it get to that point when the object of desire is to free up those 3 channels.

Pretty likely you'll end up notifying the eff sea seas anyway because idiots will be idiots.

Rules for being Americans as the founding fathers intended:

1) mind your own f’ing business

2) never ask the government to clarify anything. It will NEVER go in the direction of freedom.  …unless you are a complete a-hole and can’t handle rule #1.   

P.S.  This comment is NOT in response to the few comments above regarding govt use. I don't know the details about that.

6 hours ago, WRZK971 said:

2) never ask the government to clarify anything. It will NEVER go in the direction of freedom.  …unless you are a complete a-hole and can’t handle rule #1.   

P.S.  This comment is NOT in response to the few comments above regarding govt use. I don't know the details about that.

both very true...

On 8/20/2024 at 6:29 AM, amaff said:

NGL, I tried when I started getting into this. I just couldn't.
"This? This is what y'all are doing with your weeknights?" I'm glad people enjoy it. It's not for me.

I also tried one Thursday night. I just couldn't hang. 

On 8/24/2024 at 6:06 PM, WRZK971 said:

When the FCC has a congressionally approved method to petition for change for YOUR benefit directly - use it. This "free men don't ask" trope is worn out and many have warned since the 2017 update how apathy like this will lead to further issues down the line especially with the rapid increase in GMRS use that was to be predicted (and happened).

This Fudd Talk needs to stop. If companies/carriers can petition the FCC for beneficial use of a service/band, so can private citizens who are licensed for a family band. Speak up and do your part or quit gnashing your teeth to internet strangers when something changes that isn't to your benefit.

On 8/22/2024 at 11:18 AM, MarkInTampa said:

I'll usually listen to the net with my 2nd VFO listening to the input frequency of the repeater. I'm 35 miles west of the repeater and find it interesting to see who I can hear on the input. If I can hear them I could probably talk simplex with them.

For grins, I mapped out the check in's of one of last months net by callsign...

bartow1.jpg

I may have to bring my Radio, when I’m down for spring training !