Repeater connection question

WSEB581

Question

Hey all

Very new to GMRS here and trying to figure things out. I have two (2) Midland GXT67 Pro handheld amd I'm trying to connect to a local repeater.

I have the repeater function enabled.  The repeater frequency is xxx.600 which corresponds to channel 17 (RPTR 17) on the Radio.

The input/output tones of the repeater are listed as 141.3 hz. I set the TX Privacy Code on the radio as CTCSS 141.3, which in Midland language is CTCSS Code 22. I left the RX privacy code off.

That all being said, I've tried transmitting WELL within range of the repeater and get nothing. No reply, no kerchunk, nothing.

Also I should mention this particular repeater transmits a Morse Code identifier every 15 min and I have DO receive that. (Usually on regular channel 17)

Am I missing something

21 answers to this question

no, it does not sound like you are missing anything. Double check the tone in your Midland table, and if possible, confirm that the tone for the repeater is correct.. 

It is possible that the repeater/tone you are configuring is no longer online, and you are hearing a different repeater.

I was really really hoping you'd be one of the replies Randy. I've been DEEP into your videos since deciding to get into GMRS!!

So I have semi-communicated with the repeater owner via the comment post section on his repeater page. Based on those correspondences, I'm fairly sure I have everything correct. 

I guess it certainly is possible that I'm still not in range. I'm pretty sure I'm getting a MXT275 mobile for my bday in 2 weeks. I'll try with it and see if the additional wattage reaches the repeater.

Thanks for the reply!

WRCP381

To be totally honest I don't know the exact location. Based on its location as shown on the myGMRS map, I should be within a couple miles of it with no real obstruction. But thinking about it now, I really can't say for sure. 

26 minutes ago, WSEB581 said:

WRCP381

To be totally honest I don't know the exact location. Based on its location as shown on the myGMRS map, I should be within a couple miles of it with no real obstruction. But thinking about it now, I really can't say for sure. 

Well with a hand held a “couple” miles may or may not work.  Maybe an antenna upgrade.  I’d find out exactly where the repeater is and then drive closer and see how things go.  Then once  you can communicate on the repeater then look into upgraded antenna or a base/mobile radio. 

16 minutes ago, WSEB581 said:

I was able to get a more accurate repeater location from the owner. I think I'm still too far away with the handheld. Going to venture a little closer in the next couple of days and try again.

Thanks all for your inpuy

Now that you know the repeater location this line of sight tool may help you see what you can expect connecting to it and from where. Good luck. 

UPDATE

First of all, thank you all for the input and advice.

Secondly, (and quite frustratingly), I have NO idea what I did differently or what changed, but I'm now hitting said repeater......repeatedly! I was able to get it from approx. 6.4 miles today (according to goog-lerf). And that is with the 5w handheld. I'm curious to see what happens with the 15w mobile next week.

Thanks again to all

On 8/21/2024 at 5:34 PM, WRUU653 said:

Now that you know the repeater location this line of sight tool may help you see what you can expect connecting to it and from where. Good luck. 

WOW! Thank you for that link! I have been looking for something that could show line of sight and take elevation into consideration.
Do you know if it also accounts for curvature of the earth over distance or does it just simple calculate on elevations.

7 minutes ago, TrikeRadio said:

Do you know if it also accounts for curvature of the earth over distance or does it just simple calculate on elevations.

It doesn’t appear to use the earth’s curvature. I selected two points 800 miles apart and the result didn’t display curvature. 

5 hours ago, SteveShannon said:

It doesn’t appear to use the earth’s curvature. I selected two points 800 miles apart and the result didn’t display curvature. 

Well... next time I try to hit that repeater 800 miles away... 😛

On 8/20/2024 at 3:52 PM, WSEB581 said:

Hey all

Very new to GMRS here and trying to figure things out. I have two (2) Midland GXT67 Pro handheld amd I'm trying to connect to a local repeater.

I have the repeater function enabled.  The repeater frequency is xxx.600 which corresponds to channel 17 (RPTR 17) on the Radio.

The input/output tones of the repeater are listed as 141.3 hz. I set the TX Privacy Code on the radio as CTCSS 141.3, which in Midland language is CTCSS Code 22. I left the RX privacy code off.

That all being said, I've tried transmitting WELL within range of the repeater and get nothing. No reply, no kerchunk, nothing.

Also I should mention this particular repeater transmits a Morse Code identifier every 15 min and I have DO receive that. (Usually on regular channel 17)

Am I missing something

Not all repeaters have a hangtime. Do you hear any hangtime kerchunks from other users? Are you sure that you are on a Repeater Channel that transmit 467.600 MHz?

On 8/22/2024 at 3:42 PM, WSEB581 said:

I was able to get it from approx. 6.4 miles today (according to goog-lerf). And that is with the 5w handheld. I'm curious to see what happens with the 15w mobile next week.

It's not so much about the added power as it is about a better antenna mounted outside the vehicle. If you had a handheld that had a removable antenna you could connect it to a good mobile or base station antenna and greatly improve your range. That's the main reason I don't like Midland HT's.

Remember GMRS is UHF which is mostly "line of sight" If the two antenna's can see each other they can communicate. I live on top of a hill that has line of sight to a large foot print repeater on a mountain East of Seattle that is 92 miles from my location. I can easily communicate with it using a five watt Wouxun KG-935G+ hand held connected to a roof top antenna.

1 hour ago, WRWE456 said:

It's not so much about the added power as it is about a better antenna mounted outside the vehicle. If you had a handheld that had a removable antenna you could connect it to a good mobile or base station antenna and greatly improve your range. That's the main reason I don't like Midland HT's.

Remember GMRS is UHF which is mostly "line of sight" If the two antenna's can see each other they can communicate. I live on top of a hill that has line of sight to a large foot print repeater on a mountain East of Seattle that is 92 mile from my location. I can easily communicate with it using a five watt Wouxun KG-935G+ hand held connected to a roof top antenna.

"Some People" has "Some Radios" with weak receiver designs that cause them to go deaf or make "weird noises" if you hook a better antenna to the antenna hole of the radio.  Not mentioning any specific brand name...but it rhymes with Pooftwang...

1 hour ago, JoCoBrian said:

"Some People" has "Some Radios" with weak receiver designs that cause them to go deaf or make "weird noises" if you hook a better antenna to the antenna hole of the radio.  Not mentioning any specific brand name...but it rhymes with Pooftwang...

That is surprising given the price. 😉