Ordered a new radio.

5 hours ago, WRYZ926 said:

I want to learn CW but I also want to start studying for my Extra test too. And I have radio projects in the shack going on too. Decisions decisions.

2 minutes ago, WRXB215 said:

Same here. 😐

In my opinion, get the extra first. You can do it in two weeks of studying, especially if you just recently got your general. I say that only because it builds on the foundation you built studying for the general. CW is learned completely differently (for me personally at least) not hard, but a different part of my brain, related more to hearing sounds and pattern recognition. 

15 hours ago, WRYZ926 said:

I want to learn CW but I also want to start studying for my Extra test too. And I have radio projects in the shack going on too. Decisions decisions.

Get the Extra first. It's much faster to achieve, and it's much more useful than knowing CW. You never have to worry about what portion of a band you can use, and once you have it, you never need to test again. CW is more of a novelty that takes much longer to learn and has limited usefulness in the real world of amateur radio*.

*The opinion expressed here is strictly my own and does not represent that of a dwindling subset of octogenarian amateur radio operators who believe only real amateur radio operators know CW.

The Amazon radios are flying off of the shelf. I just had a left hip revision done and will be studying for the technician license during my recovery. I was able to find a few radios on Scott's radios and he will be shipping mine out tomorrow. I don't know when Amazon or Radioddity would have more in. I'll have to look into taking the test online because I won't be able to for 6 weeks or so.

On 8/16/2024 at 6:06 AM, nokones said:

Also, some, not many run both a CB and GMRS. The GMRS channel will vary depending on the group/club. When I am alone, I scan all them without any tone. As for the CB, I'll monitor Ch. 16 AM. The other days on my run to Crown King I actually heard some off-roading radio traffic on CB Ch. 16. There were a few Side-X-Sides on the road and I did notice a CB antenna and an UHF antenna on one of them.

On 8/26/2024 at 12:14 PM, warthog74 said:

Well, i know people still using the original 6666 that came out a decade ago. In todays throw away world, i say 10 years out of a CCR is pretty damn good. Also 90% of the President radios now come from China. Only a few “flagship” models still come from Vietnam. At any rate the QT80 is a great rig. Just talk some SSB DX and you’d be amazed how many are using AnyTone/Radioddity products because they are spot on frequency with great audio for a respectable price.

image.png.cfefe617a5e9a67048089ba373644f88.png