Associate Call Sign with FRN?

WQWI871

Is it a difficult or delayed process? Although I presented my GMRS license during the exam which has my already existing FRN on it, I think my FRN was over looked being GMRS and not amateur and I may have to associate it when ever the call sign is available in the database. I can wait, but, I just worry about other issues. The examiner and I both don't have neat (putting it lightly) handwriting, so, if they're doing the filing by mail, I hope my information will be legible to understand and I won't have to do any contacting. I know it can take some time, though.

Is it a difficult or delayed process? Although I presented my GMRS license during the exam which has my already existing FRN on it, I think my FRN was over looked being GMRS and not amateur and I may have to associate it when ever the call sign is available in the database. I can wait, but, I just worry about other issues. The examiner and I both don't have neat (putting it lightly) handwriting, so, if they're doing the filing by mail, I hope my information will be legible to understand and I won't have to do any contacting. I know it can take some time, though.

Most VEC's won't submit testing results without an FRN these days. If they insist on an FRN and you don't have one, they'll have you get one on the fly before you take the test. It only takes a few seconds online to get an FRN.

If I recall correctly, I had to provide my FRN number when filling out the paperwork just before or right after the test.

When your license is processed and granted, you can view it through the ULS search and double check the FRN. If you did not apply for one at the testing site, that's a fair sign that the VEC correctly used the one from your GMRS license.

If, by some remote chance, you end up with two FRN's, you can go to the FCC's Registration System and manage things. Typically, you'd combine all of your licenses on one FRN for ease of future maintenance. The empty FRN is then voided.

I manage the radio station licenses for our town. They had two separate FRN's, one for each license. I combined them all one FRN. It makes things much simpler.

Okay. Yeah I handed them my GMRS with the FRN on it when they asked for my state ID and any amateur license I may have. They looked both over and said they meant amateur license and not GMRS, which I understood, but, only provided it for the FRN that's on it. I provided my social security number which was taken note of, so, I'd assume one of those were noted. I'll keep checking the ULS search and my ULS license(s). I think I still have about another week and half to see anything, though. Thank you for your response.

. Well when entering name and address also SSAN they tend to match...

Nice call on that one, I feel better now. It just showed up in the database and already associated with my FRN in the ULS. Thanks. :)

Edit: Doh! I knew me and the examiner has sloppy handwriting. My last name is spelt wrong. And email address and mailing address. Anything I can do about that?

I'm not particular fond of the call sign choice. I'm not complaining, but, I'm use to the phonetic alphabet, and, saying this call sign in the phonetic alphabet can be a tongue twister.

Nice call on that one, I feel better now. It just showed up in the database and already associated with my FRN in the ULS. Thanks. :)

Edit: Doh! I knew me and the examiner has sloppy handwriting. My last name is spelt wrong. And email address and mailing address. Anything I can do about that?

I'm not particular fond of the call sign choice. I'm not complaining, but, I'm use to the phonetic alphabet, and, saying this call sign in the phonetic alphabet can be a tongue twister.

You can log into the Registration system and update your contact info any time. I am not sure if they'll accept a spelling change on the name online, but you can check while you are in there. https://apps.fcc.gov/coresWeb/publicHome.do

As for the call sign, GMRS folks are not nearly so anal as hams about phonetic spelling of your call sign. I would never insist that a GMRS user use phonetics. If it was an obviously difficult situation like lots of background noise or other obstacle, I might ask that they use phonetics. And, on GMRS, if someone used Adam instead of Alpha, it's not a mortal sin.

You can log into the Registration system and update your contact info any time. I am not sure if they'll accept a spelling change on the name online, but you can check while you are in there. https://apps.fcc.gov/coresWeb/publicHome.do

As for the call sign, GMRS folks are not nearly so anal as hams about phonetic spelling of your call sign. I would never insist that a GMRS user use phonetics. If it was an obviously difficult situation like lots of background noise or other obstacle, I might ask that they use phonetics. And, on GMRS, if someone used Adam instead of Alpha, it's not a mortal sin.

Thanks. I was unsure how to change the details for the specific call sign / license. Because the contact details on my ULS account are correct, as well as my GMRS license. It's just the amateur license isn't correct. I guess I'm use to phonetic with GMRS because my call sign is kind of catchy, and can stated in phonetic fairly quick and easy to understand, so, I generally do. But, I can predict errors when trying to use phonetic with this new amateur call sign. It's like the suffix is backwards from the prefix lol. I was thinking about requesting a systematic call sign, as I didn't want to wait a long time for vanity. But, I don't understand much about the systematic.

Thanks. I was unsure how to change the details for the specific call sign / license. Because the contact details on my ULS account are correct, as well as my GMRS license. It's just the amateur license isn't correct.

Log in through the License Manager and you can update name, mailing address, and email address for a specific license.   https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsEntry/licManager/login.jsp

You use your FRN and Registration System password to log into the License Manager. This is where having all of your licenses  both operator and station, associated with a single FRN gets real useful.

Having that U their after the W lol and followed by a 62. I will say that I think it sounds better with the dub-ya route than trying to do a you after a double-you. Yeah, sometimes full or even partial phonetics can be easier. By the way, I think I understand how the systematic works. It's the next available in line. Maybe considering I requested a change about an hour after it was in the ULS, there wasn't much of a change.

yes they got my name wrong couldn't find it. And had to do an administrative change. All good though

yes they got my name wrong couldn't find it. And had to do an administrative change. All good though

I don't know why, maybe because I knew the examiner and I have poor handwriting. Although I don't want to say that was the problem. But, I was in doubt that it would go well. I thought either it wasn't processed after the fifteen days and would need to do some contacting, or, it was processed but details were wrong. So, in addition to checking my ULS, I actually decided to search by city and state than my name. Just in case name was wrong or FRN wasn't noted. But yeah, all is okay and I'm happy the licensee update application and call sign application was granted quickly. Now I get to play around with echolink.