Grrrrr

chiefeis

So I'm sort of involved in an Emergency Preparedness (i.e. prepping) group.  We get lots of invites to online seminars, and today I was actually listening to one (vice ignoring the invite).

The topic was Emergency Communications.  The presenter was the author of several preparedness books, including one on communications.  I tell you, I was digging what he was laying down - right up to the point when he talked about two-way radios that you can get at Walmart.  And how they are great because you "Don't need a license".

*sigh*

Last week I actually had a Walmart employee (he seems to monitor/greet customers on the way in and retrieves shopping carts outside) and he seen my handheld on my belt. He said politely, "You know, you don't actually need a license?" he uses a Baofeng B6 for the job site and was looking for an upgrade, mostly because the other employee's take his battery's / charger (they're compatible) I've seen other employee's inside using some Motorola's. I didn't question him what frequencies he or his team uses (although I think I recall hearing employee's on FRS/GMRS 5 one day) He seemed nice, so, I just went along with it and stayed friendly. That is kind of a downer about that announcement, though. You technically don't for FRS, but, I feel that answer wasn't as clear. I don't like promoting those radio's and people get the idea that they can use any channel. Reminds me of three kids that kept swapping channels earlier for hours. They even got on the REACT team, as I was monitoring that as well. On an understanding note, though, I can't fault it much. I feel that It's nice to have a couple unlicensed services. My grandmother for example is ill and elderly and simply has no interest in radio's or studying and paying big for a license. FRS is great for that purpose (close range, of course) and with my GMRS license, I can authorize her for GMRS use. Perhaps if the licensed and unlicensed services were split into separate radios, it could limit the unlicensed from using licensed services. And clearly printing on the outer packaging to highlight that rather than slipping it into some fine print in the back of the manual.

Edit: Dang, they're actually still playing around. I keep hearing them mumble and using those call buttons that produces a ring.

• 3 weeks later...

So, the walmart employee talked with me today. They use FRS/GMRS 5 sometimes, but, he told me the frequency the team generally uses which is 2m. I knew another walmart used that frequency, but, didn't know that one did, too. I'm curious what they think / know of the rules if not all (or any) of the employees are licensed.

Yeah, but, I feel that breaking multiple rules is worse than breaking less rules. Rules are rules regardless, and, some may feel that one rule is just as bad as three or four, but, still. They're not even using a tone, It's open. But, I suppose nothing is going to happen with a worldwide chain like Walmart, and, It's not like Walmart is going to listen to a mere customer. I think they should at least use a tone, though. And the guy wants to tell me "don't program that frequency into your radio because the manager may wounder where you got the frequency" as if the frequency was private and owned.

And the guy wants to tell me "don't program that frequency into your radio because the manager may wounder where you got the frequency" as if the frequency was private and owned.

Oh my! That would just encourage me to use that 2m frequency for a daily net or something like that...

...or better still, use it as the output frequency for a DMR repeater! :lol:

Oh my! That would just encourage me to use that 2m frequency for a daily net or something like that...

...or better still, use it as the output frequency for a DMR repeater! :lol:

Lol. I generally use it at the other walmart to ask if any employees know where (this) product is. I look around, but, sometimes can't find what I'm looking for. And, It's tough finding employees sometime to ask. I'd cross band it, but, it won't reach that far. Almost, though.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

All of the Walmart stores in Nebraska, and most in Kansas use 154.600, also known as the "Green Dot" channel, or MURS-5.

Walmart at one time had several hundred different part-90 "IG" class licenses for this frequency under the FRN of 0008627473, but all have expired, and the frequency has been re-assigned to the MURS service, so they (and anyone else) can now legally use this frequency for business purposes without a license anyway.

Walmart still holds licenses for many other frequencies.  Many of the larger locations are using UHF, and have private repeaters.

I have never been to any Walmart that is using an illegal radio system.

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like a culprit that a group of local walmart employees started using Baofengs. Even one was purchased for the general manager. The other local walmart (there's about four walmarts local to me) uses MURS 4. One of the employees started talking with me about the Baofeng he usually sees me carry when I go their to shop. They're unlocked (not locked to only 2m and 70cm) cheap, and works. That's all he wanted to know. So, he purchased ten of them for the group and one from me. Some of the employees are using Motorola's their, though. That reminds me, I just got a new Yaesu handheld in. I go to walmart tomorrow. :D  sometimes I think I should have saved for a DMR, though. Maybe I can find something affordable at an upcoming hamfest. :(