unlicensed

Guest A G Lafon

Guest A G Lafon

Unlicensed

Well i got a new one ( We're Grandfathered ) this was the reply i got when i ask for call sign ?

This is the Salvation Army Camp Tomahawk in WV. I informed them that a license is needed

on GMRS 462.700Mhz then Manager made remark above ! :huh:

Reminds me of a recent event I had with Walmart. Not only they use GMRS, though, but, 2m as well. Sad thing is, a lot of employees just look up to the managers or whomever provides and coordinates the communication methods. So, for the employees that are not familiar with radios or regulations (other than knowing the basics of using it such as power on/off, volume and PTT) they wouldn't know what they're doing is wrong if the coordinator doesn't say anything. That older guy I met at Walmart, he works the shopping carts and greetings, he isn't very familiar with the specifics, he just knows what frequency the team uses and that's all. So, It's not really his fault. Kind of like parents buying children those FRS/GMRS combo radios and let them play around on the GMRS frequencies while none of the family members are licensed. It's not really the childs fault. I kind of feel bad for the guy, but, I can't really do anything.

Guest Einfahrt CALLE

I am trying to contact Salvation Army division managers and now seem to be getting

bounced around seems no one wants to take deal with issue! This camp was sued for

use of PA system last year. They were waking up neighbors at 5:45 am 7 days a week.

I saw one case i had to shout in my driveway to get over PA they're 1/2 mile away.

Guest Guest

Looks like I'll need to send out a certified letter or two as they're still coming on to GMRS band.

I've warned them more than once and keep getting a stupid response of ( We're Grandfathered )

Yesterday someone claiming to be camp manager got on and yelled at Repeater IDer :rolleyes:

Looks like I'll need to send out a certified letter or two as they're still coming on to GMRS band.

I've warned them more than once and keep getting a stupid response of ( We're Grandfathered )

Yesterday someone claiming to be camp manager got on and yelled at Repeater IDer :rolleyes:

Uh, under the new FRS rules, aren't they legal up to 2 watts on the 462.xxx repeater out channels? I am pretty sure that is the case so you really don't have much of an argument other than to negotiate shared use of the frequency.

The "new rules" aren't in affect yet, as far as I know.

Looks like the official adoption date was May 18th and the publication date was the following day. So 90 days is just a few weeks away. At this point in time, I would suggest that any debate over two watts vs. a half watt under FRS rules is almost nonsensical and completely unproductive.

As far as the OP's situation, the real issue is that of a "grandfathered" licensee who most likely never bothered to renew the license. If memory serves, failure to renew would clearly negate the grandfathered status once and for all. If they're using low power gear (2 watts or less) they're only a couple of weeks away from being legal. If they're using higher powered portables or mobiles or base radios, they're clearly operating illegally, regardless.

If I was the OP, I'd be reminding the camp that their grandfathered status holds only if the license has been properly renewed and is not expired at this time. The second thing I would remind them of is the fact that FCC rules clearly require users to share the frequencies and that there is no guarantee of a private channel, even under the old rules way back when they were first licensed. If their license is valid, they are obligated to play nice in the sandbox. If their license expired, then they are no longer grandfathered, and the lower power FRS rules would apply. I think it would be a waste of time to try to explain today's rules which will be obsolete in less than 30 days so I'd just mention the new rules that will be effective in August. If they complied with the new rules now, it would probably eliminate most of the interference to the repeater, but they'd still be stuck with hearing the repeater unless they figured out how to enable PL. Then the big question would be what radios they have. If they're bubble pack, that is easily fixed at no cost. If they're commercial grade stuff, then there's a visit from a radio tech needed and that costs money which it's unlikely that the Salvation Army would pony up give the fact that they most likely haven't spent the buck to keep their grandfathered license current.

The "new rules" aren't in affect yet, as far as I know.

So, what do you think of the TYT MD-2017? Or, at least compared to the Retevis Ailunce HD1, RT82 or similar?

Sorry, I ask you, because I have trouble finding many reviews on new models. And, it seems you and I have been checking out the same YouTube videos, not that I'm spying.

And anyone else is welcome to comment.

PS, sorry to the original poster for being off topic.

I have no basis for a comparison. I returned my MD-2017 to the vendor because it appeared to have a problem of not reliably connecting with two local repeaters less than 2 air miles from me with antennas at 520'...

However, it turns out that there was a bug in the Import feature of the MD-2017 software such that when importing an existing MD-380 code plug, the DCDM switch was enabled in the import table. However, when populating the Channel information, the DCDM Switch displayed "greyed out" - hence inactivated - when in fact it was activated.

Since neither the 2m or 70cm repeaters are "Dual Capacity", the end result was that obtaining a "Connect" was a total crapshoot! Most often one would hear a "Bonk" instead indicating no connection. I've apologized to the vendor and asked them to return the radio to me, after having explained all of the above.

Okay. I was having trouble deciding, as I can't find many dual band DMR handhlds, that are affordable at least. I'd go with a 380 if there was a dual band option. I can carry two handhelds, but, that's annoying. I think I will choose either the MD 2017, RT82 or wait for two more models that are suppose to be released later this year. Thanks for your input.

Hmm, the website still shows the $219 price when I check. A good price reduction would be nice, though. I don't mean to be cheap, but, with me recently purchasing other supplies such as my mast and 9800, I can't dish out over $200 for a dmr handheld right now. lol. I've been pondering if I should go with an MD 380 VHF for the price, I'd just rather not carry two handhelds and I use both 2m and 70cm. :(

They can not list their actual selling price on their web page listing. However, here is what I received back when I placed my order:

Thank your for ordering from R&L Electronics

------------------------------------------------------

Order Number: 44228

Detailed Invoice: https://store2.rlham.com/shop/catalog/account_history_info.php?order_id=44228

Date Ordered: Saturday 08 July, 2017

I understand from another of your customers that the current price is $149.95.

Products

1 x TYT MD2017 (MD2017) = $219.00

Sub-Total: $219.00

Flat Rate (Best Way): $0.00

Total: $219.00

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

R&L Electronics

Order Number: 44228

Detailed Invoice: http://store.rlham.com/shop/catalog/account_history_info.php?order_id=44228

Date Ordered: Saturday 08 July, 2017

The comments for your order are

Actually it $149.00. Thanks

Guest Guest

No license found nor call sign given.

Camp manger seems to think he owns every thing

around camp including airways. I got a audio clip

of him yelling at repeater ider :lol:

Guest Guest

Well after repeated tries at talking to someone in charge.

We had no luck with over the air contacts also going to

camp lead to a confrontation with manager claiming  we're

trespassing by going to office? A few days later we started

using small beams on public road way and were forcibly stopped

by camp manager on public road! IE blocked in this lead to a

call to police. After talking to police the camp manger has collected

all radios issue seems to have stopped. Camp manager was informed

by police he can not stop or block cars on state public roads  :angry:

Well after repeated tries at talking to someone in charge.

We had no luck with over the air contacts also going to

camp lead to a confrontation with manager claiming  we're

trespassing by going to office? A few days later we started

using small beams on public road way and were forcibly stopped

by camp manager on public road! IE blocked in this lead to a

call to police. After talking to police the camp manger has collected

all radios issue seems to have stopped. Camp manager was informed

by police he can not stop or block cars on state public roads  :angry:

I take it that you kept your cool and explained the situation to the police in fairly simple terms so that they gained a clear understanding of your side of the situation. Obviously, the camp manager forcibly blocking a state road didn't help his case.

I would loved to have witnessed this.

• 2 weeks later...

A follow up i had also sent a number of e-mails out to higher management with Salvation Army.

Well i had got no replies till now it seems they have stopped all radio operation on FRS/GMRS.

But i got a very oddly worded message from local Head of Salvation Army ( Martinsburg, West Virginia )

stating ( I have no idea what you're talking about we have no radios in that camp ) I'm truly sorry 

but i have clear recordings of personnel who clearly state they are at Camp Tomahawk.

In fact i had a few short conversations with persons on 462.587.5Mhz FRS channel 2

who indicated they worked for Camp? So i guess they're now trying to run and hide from the fact.

How funny? Well looks like it's stopped i did not mean for them to stop all operations just

get the Mischief maker off our repeater frequency.

P.S. Camp manager had a FRS radio on his side when he blocked road too.  :huh:

It's amazing how many idiots live among us. I think some of it is truly the mentality that "if I paid for these radios, then my communications are exclusive and private", not unlike having Wifi, but leaving it open with no password required and blaming the guy who is using it without "permission". Or maybe, buying an airplane and just flying it wherever you want, whenever you want. Not quite the way it works. 

It's amazing how many idiots live among us. I think some of it is truly the mentality that "if I paid for these radios, then my communications are exclusive and private", not unlike having Wifi, but leaving it open with no password required and blaming the guy who is using it without "permission". Or maybe, buying an airplane and just flying it wherever you want, whenever you want. Not quite the way it works. 

:)