mire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationDenver
  • GMRS Callsign:WREA791

Posted 14 September 2019 - 06:29 AM

This is a pretty common practice.... flaggers,, framers, etc. using FRS and GMRS blister pack radios. There's a lot of construction going on where the old Denver University hospital used to be between 8th and 9th going north/south and Colorado and Bellaire going east/west, plus several shops being renovated along 8th, and all those crews are using them. A few are using MURS and some sort of crew somewhere a bit further out has been running 151.505, so VHF isn't dead.

• Hans likes this
2x Kenwood TK-3180
3x Kenwood TK-380
Motorola HT750
Kenwood TK-3700
3x Kenwood TK-350G
Kenwood TK-353G
A whole slew of BaoFeng BF-888S and GT1 radios
Kenwood TK-880
Kenwood TK-890
Kenwood TK-8360

#42 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WRCH569

Posted 01 October 2019 - 08:50 PM

https://www.amazon.c...y/dp/B07J2DGCLT

DeWalt and others are selling FRS as "license-free business radios" now...

Edit:  Cobra too.

• Hans likes this

#43 marcspaz

marcspaz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 01 October 2019 - 09:06 PM

That's going to end up getting people in legal trouble (maybe?). While the FRS frequencies are shared, the GMRS frequencies are not, and those radios definitely operate on the GMRS frequencies.

#44 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WRCH569

Posted 01 October 2019 - 09:10 PM

FRS and GMRS use the same frequencies, though.

• Hans likes this

#45 marcspaz

marcspaz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 10:26 AM

For the most part, yes. Though 8 through 14 are exclusively FRS and the GMRS repeater inputs are between those dedicated FRS frequencies.

Power and radio type are (for the most part) the only significant characteristics that set them apart from each other.

#46 Hans

Hans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationTrapped in Yankee territory
  • GMRS Callsign:WQXE920
  • Ham Callsign:N8VHF

Posted 02 October 2019 - 07:55 PM

For the most part, yes. Though 8 through 14 are exclusively FRS and the GMRS repeater inputs are between those dedicated FRS frequencies.

Power and radio type are (for the most part) the only significant characteristics that set them apart from each other.

That's from the old rules. There are now no longer exclusive FRS channels. There are only exclusive GMRS repeater inputs. The 22 simplex channels of both FRS and GMRS are all the same frequencies now.

https://www.law.corn.../text/47/95.563

§ 95.563 FRS channels.

The FRS is allotted 22 channels, each having a channel bandwidth of 12.5 kHz. All of the FRS channels are also allotted to the General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS) on a shared basis. The FRS channel center frequencies are set forth in the following table:

https://www.law.corn...text/47/95.1763

§ 95.1763 GMRS channels.

The GMRS is allotted 30 channels - 16 main channels and 14 interstitial channels. GMRS stations may transmit on any of the channels as indicated below.

• Ian and marcspaz like this

#47 marcspaz

marcspaz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 09:27 PM

That's from the old rules. There are now no longer exclusive FRS channels. There are only exclusive GMRS repeater inputs. The 22 simplex channels of both FRS and GMRS are all the same frequencies now.

Thanks.... I forgot.  Old habits die hard.  LOL

• Hans and H8SPVMT like this

#48 Hans

Hans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationTrapped in Yankee territory
  • GMRS Callsign:WQXE920
  • Ham Callsign:N8VHF

Posted 02 October 2019 - 09:51 PM

Thanks.... I forgot.  Old habits die hard.  LOL

It happens to me all of the time. :lol:

• marcspaz likes this

#49 mire

mire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 04 October 2019 - 01:48 AM

https://www.amazon.c...y/dp/B07J2DGCLT

DeWalt and others are selling FRS as "license-free business radios" now...

Edit:  Cobra too.

DeWalt makes two-way radios? Or markets them, anyhow? I might have to buy one just on principle.
2x Kenwood TK-3180
3x Kenwood TK-380
Motorola HT750
Kenwood TK-3700
3x Kenwood TK-350G
Kenwood TK-353G
Kenwood TK-880
Kenwood TK-890
Kenwood TK-8360

#50 drk1970nj

drk1970nj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey
  • GMRS Callsign:WRCU244

Posted 06 October 2019 - 06:33 PM

I got a company in my area that uses 462.600 for there yard staff moving trailers around .....Guess they cant afford business radios  :lol:

#51 w4thm

w4thm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:wrjh488
  • Ham Callsign:w4thm

Posted 24 September 2020 - 01:21 PM

Particularly with schools, there's not a whole lot of money to go around to buy and license business radios. A school fairly close to me started popping up on Baofeng channels; I talked with the school's administration who confirmed it was an after-school program, and administration forced them to go back to 'more expensive' FRS radios. The after-school program wasn't run by the school, so they didn't have access to the Part 90 license and radios of the school. Many of the Amazon listings for the BF-888S and rebrands of such state they work out of the box, legally, without a license; someone in the after-school program probably took the bait and bought a six-pack for less than the cost of a PL-capable FRS radio.

So you succeeded in getting a school with no budget to stop using their 2w radios? Made a huge impact on those airwaves huh?

#52 mire

mire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 24 September 2020 - 11:20 PM

So you succeeded in getting a school with no budget to stop using their 2w radios? Made a huge impact on those airwaves huh?

What would you suggest? Just let the squatters take whatever they want, like how they did with 15 - 22?
2x Kenwood TK-3180
3x Kenwood TK-380
Motorola HT750
Kenwood TK-3700
3x Kenwood TK-350G
Kenwood TK-353G
Kenwood TK-880
Kenwood TK-890
Kenwood TK-8360

#53 Lscott

Lscott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WRBZ532
  • Ham Callsign:KC8LDO

Posted 25 September 2020 - 07:18 AM

What would you suggest? Just let the squatters take whatever they want, like how they did with 15 - 22?

Well they can go out and buy the new cheap 2 watt legally FCC certified FRS radios, and yes they can do 2 watts on 1-7 and 15-22 under the new rules, 2017, which became effective starting in 2018, then its back to business as usual.

https://en.wikipedia...y_Radio_Service

FRS -> UHF CB radio

#54 n1das

n1das

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationNashua, NH, USA
  • GMRS Callsign:KAE9013
  • Ham Callsign:N1DAS

Posted 25 September 2020 - 01:23 PM

I got a company in my area that uses 462.600 for there yard staff moving trailers around .....Guess they cant afford business radios  :lol:

If FRS works for them and don't want to upgrade to business radios, then that's perfectly OK.  I am OK with business use of FRS.  Most business users of FRS are casual users of 2-way radio and don't need expensive business radios and the hassle with FCC licensing that goes with it.  Given that business use of FRS is 100% legal, it helps fill this niche, sort of like what PMR446 does in Europe.  Accommodating casual business users of 2-way radio as FRS does helps keep the Part 90 Industrial/Business (IB) pool frequencies more available for licensed users who really need those frequencies.

I recently had a paving crew resurfacing one of the streets next to my house and the flaggers were using FRS.  I saw them using FRS and I quickly found them on FRS channel 1 (462.5625).  The flaggers were only about 100 feet or so apart and FRS worked fine for them.  What was different about them was they behaved themselves and strictly used the radios for what they were meant for.  They actually sounded professional, unlike the usual sewer mouth chatter you normally hear from flaggers on FRS.

• Hans, berkinet, marcspaz and 1 other like this

David Sterrett, N1DAS

Nashua, NH, USA

Ham [HA] = N1DAS (2/1984)

GMRS [ZA] = KAE9013 (12/1992)

#55 mire

mire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 29 September 2020 - 01:33 AM

15-22 under the new rules, 2017, which became effective starting in 2018, then its back to business as usual.

Which was exactly what I was referring to. They weren’t supposed to be on them in the first place, but squatted on them to the point that the FCC threw in the towel. Those of us who paid to use those frequencies lost out to the squatters, and just last Thursday, I was driving behind someone, using 650 and 151.4, and suddenly we’ve got a restaurant employee demanding we get off of “his” channel.
So, where does it stop? When the BaoFeng crowd starts running simplex over repeater inputs because they don’t know better or simply don’t care? Just let them take that, too?
2x Kenwood TK-3180
3x Kenwood TK-380
Motorola HT750
Kenwood TK-3700
3x Kenwood TK-350G
Kenwood TK-353G
Kenwood TK-880
Kenwood TK-890
Kenwood TK-8360

#56 jec6613

jec6613

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WRJI473
  • Ham Callsign:N1VHV

Posted 29 September 2020 - 10:57 AM

Well they can go out and buy the new cheap 2 watt legally FCC certified FRS radios, and yes they can do 2 watts on 1-7 and 15-22 under the new rules, 2017, which became effective starting in 2018, then its back to business as usual.

https://en.wikipedia...y_Radio_Service

FRS -> UHF CB radio

"Cheap" is relative, the only true 2W (and not 1.2 or so) that I've found are the DeWalt ones, and they cost as much as a Wouxun GMRS setup - though they're much better built.

• Lscott likes this

#57 Lscott

Lscott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 03:19 PM

Which was exactly what I was referring to. They weren’t supposed to be on them in the first place, but squatted on them to the point that the FCC threw in the towel. Those of us who paid to use those frequencies lost out to the squatters, and just last Thursday, I was driving behind someone, using 650 and 151.4, and suddenly we’ve got a restaurant employee demanding we get off of “his” channel.
So, where does it stop? When the BaoFeng crowd starts running simplex over repeater inputs because they don’t know better or simply don’t care? Just let them take that, too?

I wouldn't say they "squatted", but more like the FCC ignored the illegal operation to the point of no return. In fact you could say the FCC screwed up by commingling FRS and GMRS together by allowing dual service radios in the first place.

It's really no different than the old CB radios days when so many people got radios and skipped getting the license. After a while the FCC gave up and made 11M effectively license free. They made their problem go away by making the unlicensed illegal operation now legal.

Oh, about a restaurant employee demanding you get off "his channel", well go look for videos and stories about Walmart and MURS. Seems like some of those places think they own those frequencies too. Don't forget that MURS is open to various uses including wireless intercoms, digital data etc. You'll have that to look forward to as well when more people start using it.

Oh, when you were on 151.4MHz were you using an FCC certified radio for MURS and what model was it? There aren't that many out there. If the radio was certified before the FCC created MURS, Part 90, it likely would be legal to use when programed with the correct output power and channel bandwidth. I have 5 Kenwood TK-270G-1 5/1 watt 128 channel radios for just that reason plus they work on 2M as well. I started another thread a while back on this form asking how many people use MURS.

#58 Lscott

Lscott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 10:12 PM

Just an additional question was that a GMRS frequency, 462.650/467.650 with a tone of 151.4? It wasn't exactly clear to me when i read it the first time around. The frequency 151.4 looked like a typo for one of the three MURS channels in the 151 MHz range.

#59 kb2ztx

kb2ztx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationEast Coast
  • GMRS Callsign:WQLY948
  • Ham Callsign:KB2ZTX

Posted 30 September 2020 - 06:38 AM

151.4 for is a PL/CTCSS tone.

• mire likes this

#60 Lscott

Lscott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 05:50 PM

151.4 for is a PL/CTCSS tone.

Yeah, after I went back to read some other posts it made more sense it was a PL tone. My mistake.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users