quarterwave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • LocationOh-io
  • GMRS Callsign:On-File

Posted 15 November 2018 - 09:23 AM

However, as I was reasoning earlier, the manufacturer's responsibility lies in them honestly pursuing FCC certification in good faith for their designs and sticking to those designs. The FCC's responsibilities include making sure that it is not certifying non-compliant designs. The licensed individual's responsibilities, license by rule or by application, is to adhere to the parameters of relevant regulations.

With FCC certified hybrid bubble pack radios, I don't fault the manufacturers. Rather, I fault the FCC for certifying them and I fault the user for not reading and following the requirements.

I agree.

• Hans likes this

#22 jimndfw

jimndfw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQWI959

Posted 16 November 2018 - 06:32 AM

Obviously, the current rules and interpretations prohibit crossband mobile repeater at this time as the rules are currently written.

However, a low power (1 to 2 watt) crossband mobile repeater channel would be an interesting ideal to petition the FCC for.

I think/assume if we ask Rich or the staff here at GMRS they could provide some guidance, assistance in drafting a formal petition, as well as suggest the best verbiage needed to give the petition the best chance of getting the current rules changed to allow a low power crossband mobile repeater in the GMRS.

• Hans likes this

#23 PastorGary

PastorGary

Senior Tropical Weather Analyst, TSRC, Gulf Shores, Alabama

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1457 posts
  • LocationMultiple locations in USA seasonally.

Posted 17 November 2018 - 04:56 AM

FYI - That would be a project for Rich - if he could find the time to assist.   The Mod Staff at MyGMRS will not be involved in any type of legal or procedural advisories due to individual liability issues.

PastorGary -

Weather postings Copyrighted © TSRC, All Rights Reserved

#24 Hans

Hans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationTrapped in Yankee territory
  • GMRS Callsign:WQXE920
  • Ham Callsign:N8VHF

Posted 17 November 2018 - 05:40 AM

I think, at this stage, it would be a gigantic reach and likely to fail. IMHO, it's something that should stew for a bit in the GMRS community.

My intention was to kick off some discussion about what GMRS licensees might like to see along these lines and how best to shape a pitch for it eventually.
  • kmleslie likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users