Does CTCSS ruin GMRS/FRS?

iadams

CTCSS, PL, whatever you want to call it, I'll use 'tone' to refer to it here.

Does the use of a tone ruin GMRS/FRS?  Given that the users are not familiar with communications equipment, and that most users don't know anything beyond selecting a channel and pushing the PTT button, we cannot expect them to understand the use of tones and what they do/do not do.

Because of bubble pack radios coming pre-programmed with tones, people will generally only hear those who have the same radio.  While the purpose of FRS/GMRS isn't to find people to chat with, it also loses the possible utility in emergency situations.  For instance, there may be 5 groups of hikers, each with their own separate set of radios in a National Forest hiking when someone is hurt.  Even going through every channel calling for help, the person would not be able to reach another party that may even be close by.  

It also seems that it is unlikely that people will check the channel for activity before use, causing interference with other parties.

While I can understand the need to use tones in urban areas because the amount of traffic may get annoying, the reality is that the tones just create more of an inability to coordinate and share the frequency.

Why wouldn't we really want every radio to come out default with carrier squelch?

Its not the tone/CTSS creating the potential issues you mention, it's stupid people that are too lazy to invest 3 minutes of their life to read the directions and learn/understand how their equipment works that are the problem..

Even if they do read the directions, that doesn't change the fact that FRS/GMRS radios do not come out of the box with basic cross brand and model interoperability for the most part due to the pre-programming.  To me, they are set up to make coordinated use difficult (sharing channels) and emergency/outside contact unlikely.  

Given the transmit range, outside of urban areas the likelihood of needing the tones so that you don't hear other traffic seems very small - especially with the fairly low number of users (on top of the aforementioned TX distance limits).

Even someone with a large amount of knowledge would have the same issues with bubble pack radios.

When I am walking down a hallway and meet someone, I go right and he goes to his right.  This coordination wouldn't be possible if we both had our eyes closed, and had only opened them once for a few seconds before we started walking.  This is what using tones seems like to me.  You check the channel by using CSQ for a few seconds, hear nothing, and start using the channel oblivious to the (radio) world around you.

It seems odd to me that the default mode in this radio service is to block outsiders rather than enabling it if necessary.

iAdams, Not true at all, and if you or others would read the directions, there is always a chart with a list of what number goes to which code. 99% of the bubble pack radios I have used all used the same number and codes, from motorola to cobra to midland, even older radioshack radios use the same frequency's and code lists. Older radios may not have all of the codes available, thus there are times discrepancies exist. This may have changed but I do believe channel 20 with no code/pl is the emergency hailing channel, much like CB channel 9, however this was mostly a courtesy than a rule and should not be relied on.

Point is, you should be prepared for the trip. Ensure you have a cell phone, bring your radio (and a way to charge it or spare batteries,) but most of all do research. If you know you are going to hike in a particular area, look up the emergency contact information as 911 may not be able to help locate you and could take longer to deploy SAR. While doing research, look to see if there are any GMRS repeaters in the area, or if people use a particular frequency and code on simplex. Lastly always have a fallback plan with family or friends should they not hear from you by a particular date and time. Be sure they know where you were headed and what your goals were. This helps should you find yourself unable to call for help and unable to make your way to safety.

In the end, it works off of common sense. Part of that is understanding that GMRS was not designed with the primary goal of emergency communications, it was designed to keep family members in communication with one another.

Use of smartphones is way more complex than bubble pack radios.  I know plenty of 6 year old kids that can run a smartphone like champs. Adults have no excuses.

As far as FRS radio compatibility goes, 100% of all FRS radios are compatible with each other.  It is mandatory per federal statute and FCC rule that all protocols must be published before use and strictly adhered to.  The original set of continuous signal-controled selective signalling (aka Continuous Tone-Coded Squelch System, CTCSS, Tone Squelch) has been published since 1952 with ten code.  The last revision was made in February of 1980, introducing the current 38 codes, which still includes the original ten codes from 1952. 

Today, you would need a working radio that is within months of being 40 years old, before your tone options start to become limited. Even a radio that is almost 70 years old, CTCSS is still compatible with a radio made today.  Given FRS was not even a thing prior to 1996... there is zero compatibility issues with any FRS radios from brand to brand and model to model.

Also, Continuous Digital-Coded Squelch System (aka CDCSS, DCS, sub-channels) is in the same boat.  It was originally released with 38 digital signals, now has 121, including all original 38 codes.

So if all of the the majority of radios sold (bubble packs) come pre-programmed with the same codes....why put codes in at all?

I guess you are failing to see my point.  First, yes a cell phone is complex - but also familiar and designed to be intuitive.....and as someone who administers a large group of cell phones....people have trouble even though they've had the same brand for 8 years..  I would not say that use of tones is intuitive, and understanding of RF behavior is definitely not for the average Joe.  

Explain this to me:  Given the market and the usage reality - what benefit is served by pre-programming tones in?

If someone is already using a channel, you only know that by monitoring (turning to carrier to check).   Many uses may only have TX for 10-15 seconds/minute, so there is a good chance you wouldn't catch the use with a check.  So what, you're going to check again ever few minutes?  Right there shows why it would be better with no tones and you could just hear them.

So if all of the the majority of radios sold (bubble packs) come pre-programmed with the same codes....why put codes in at all?

The purpose of Digital Private Line (DPL Tone) is so many "user groups" can share the same channel without causing harmful interference to each other.  The technology is extremely proficient at its intended purpose. 

The radio still receives a signal from a radio that doesn't have a matching sub-tone.  The radio just discriminates between received signals and only opens the squelch when your selected code is detected.  You can literally have 280 groups on one channel, all having different conversations, and not interfering with each other.  Go to a major public event (like a Boy Scout Jamboree) and suddenly, 22 channels is no where near enough.  Enter DPL on a modern FRS/GMRS combo radio and now you have the ability to have the equivalent of 6,160 channels.  Even at a major event, the likelihood of interference due to things like splash, inter-modulation, etc, is almost zero.  Especially when you are only using 0.5 watts of power.

I guess you are failing to see my point.  First, yes a cell phone is complex - but also familiar and designed to be intuitive...

I see your point, I just disagree.  "Familiar" and "intuitive" are words used to describe ease of ability to naturally understand how something works.  That understanding ONLY comes with experience and repetition.  No one is born familiar with anything and no one is born "intuitively" knowing how to do anything but suck and poop.  Everything else is a learn skill.

Explain this to me:  Given the market and the usage reality - what benefit is served by pre-programming tones in?

I already answered that question above (my first 2 paragraphs in this post)

If someone is already using a channel, you only know that by monitoring (turning to carrier to check).   Many uses may only have TX for 10-15 seconds/minute, so there is a good chance you wouldn't catch the use with a check.  So what, you're going to check again ever few minutes?  Right there shows why it would be better with no tones and you could just hear them.

How you handle any harmful interference you may cause is up to you.  If you don't want to use DPL.... don't use DPL.  By no means is the feature "ruining" the radio service.  It is extremely beneficial to the radio community and has been for 70 years.

Actually, the tones are not preprogrammed. Out of the box, all the channels are set to use carrier squelch. You have to make the decision to use a code, selecting it from a menu. I don't see the issue here. I would not want to buy a radio with fewer options. Out of the box, without reading any directions, basically anyone can turn on a pair of radios, hand one to someone, and use them to communicate. 

I use tone (DPL actually) so that I DO NOT hear anyone else sharing the same frequency.  I don't want to hear the annoying chatter from everyone else at the lake, I only want to hear when MY family members call.  THAT is what tone squelch is for.  LOTS of people can share the same channel without me having to listen to everyone.

Your argument of "what if I have an emergency and need help"...well, this may sound harsh, but your emergency is NOT MY PROBLEM, and I don't care.  FRS/GMRS is not designed for emergency comms, but may be use as such by organized groups.

What a large majority of people buying blister pack radios think is that having a two-way with them when they go out into the wilds is the radio WILL allow them to contact someone in the case of emergency. We more knowledgeable users know it just ain't so. I doubt there are very many active REACT groups for 27 MHz CB anymore either. Forty years ago back in the '70s CB was a fad and there were a lot of people that took it seriously but the fad died long with the skip and CB devolved into something long haul truckers used to combat loneliness along with the pimps and prostitutes hanging around truck stops. The language heard could best be described as filth that would put a drill sergeant or sailor to shame that the people that would have stopped or provided assistance all went away. Cell phones replaced CBs along with a sense of being connected to others around you as you drove around. Some Ham operators do provide a critical service in connecting people in a disaster situation but, for the most part you never hear about the service. LMR, Land Mobile Radio is dying. Fewer new voices are being heard and many of the most stalwart proponents are passing on and their keys are going silent.

Saying all that, I don't believe LMR in all its forms will ever truly die but it will become more and more a niche industry and hobby. The largest user group of two-way radio are those in public safety followed closely by business and industrial users. Public safety agencies are migrating to a cellular system called FirstNet in the 700 MHz range. Once the key issue of mission-critical voice is resolved you will see their VHF and UHF systems dismantled and the trunked 800 MHz voice systems repurposed to a network similar to FirstNet. As both the 700 and 800 MHz systems are close in their propagation characteristics one could be used to handle the voice traffic and the other the data functions from the same transmission sites all tied together with fiber and computers.

This shift will further move people from dedicated voice only devices just as we are seeing the shift from simple flip phones to smart devices capable of doing many different functions with varying degrees of success. But that's just my take on where radio is going.

LMRS will never go away... ever.  As good as trunked networks, WebEOC and FirstNet are, they will never be reliable because they are all reliant on a single massive infrastructure to exist and be configured correctly to work.  Anyone who has ever worked a true SHTF mass casualty, mass municipality response, knows that NONE of those networks work in the affected area.

LMRS only requires that an EMP or Nuke hasn't gone off near unprotected radios, and you're moving voice, video and data around the world.

As good as trunked networks, WebEOC and FirstNet are, they will never be reliable because they are all reliant on a single massive infrastructure to exist and be configured correctly to work.  Anyone who has ever worked a true SHTF mass casualty, mass municipality response, knows that NONE of those networks work in the affected area.

True THAT!

The last true natural disaster I worked as a volunteer communicator was the May 6th, 2015 tornado that went through Roseland Nebraska.  I was taking an alternate route on my way home to avoid the storm, talking to friends on the 2 Meter repeater in Hastings when I got a call (on the 2 Meter repeater) from the Adams County EOC, asking if I was in the area of Roseland.  I was about 10 miles east of there, and could see the problem.  They had ZERO information on the situation, and were unable to contact anyone in the area.  At their request, I turned west, and proceeded toward Roseland.

When I got there, the damage was done. The storm was already passed.  No longer able to reach the Hastings repeater, I checked into the Heartwell NE repeater, which is RF linked into the Campbell NE UHF hub, which is RF linked into the Hastings Repeater.  I was the first to call in to Adams County EOC to have them send first responders.  I found no injured persons. I found property damage to the extreme. On my reports, they called in trucks, tractors, saws, manpower, the natural gas and electric power companies.... No one really needed ambulances, so only one or two had to be sent out just in case.  That saved hours of time for emergency responders.

Why did ham radio help here? ...because the tornado ripped out the main fiber optic box on the south end of town, thus there was NO internet. NO telephone. NO cable television, NO emergency communications to the dispatch office. NO police radios. NO fire department radios. NO service to the local cellular phone tower.  The place was an island of zero communications due to one point of failure.

But that has nothing to do with GMRS.  I was asked to help if I could, and I did. It DOES go to show that any installed communications structure that relies on land based internet, or even cellular data, is prone to failure at the time it will be most needed.

I'm a little late to the party, but here's my thoughts:

Most people are operating in close proximity (to other operators in the same building or within a few hundred feet), where the other party will overpower any other users on the channel except in dense areas. For FRS, that's fine. I use it to talk to my family members and my unlicensed friends, and neither of us wants to hear the other users on the channel.

That's all undesirable for disaster communications, where I can use my higher power level to reach many users. Putting a proper emergency channel in FRS radios would end up the same as CB 9, full of false reports and interference. A licensed solution would improve the situation, but that's not possible anymore with 22-channel FRS (I would also prefer a solution under Part 90 or a similar setup, but that's a topic for another thread). FRS can be a tool but much of the hardware are toys and perform in RF-busy environments like you'd expect a $10 radio to perform.

Motorola's Quiet-Talk enabled by default is stupid, it defeats the purpose of FRS's interoperability requirements. FRS 1 in CSQ should be the out-of-the-box channel for all radios, and mandating the radios be shipped in that mode would greatly assist emcomm. It wouldn't make much sense in reality where there's no distinction between calling and working channels and where it's impractical to attempt to train kids on that stuff. The FCC won't recommend a calling channel or tone for a reason.

Agreed, LMR is not going anywhere. Infrastructure dependence is a real concern among the public and first responders alike, and those views can be seen in some cities' resistance to joining county/state trunked systems (see LA-RICS). Being able to communicate unit-to-unit effectively is an underrated feature of two-way radio that cell phones still can't provide, especially where interoperability is required.

If you only remember two paragraphs in this post, I hit the "Post" button a bit early.

• 4 months later...

I am late to the game...just saw this post.

Jeez guys, nobody really understood the poster's question.   The issue is why would a manufacturer or supplier sell a radio pre-programmed with tone squelch, instead of just carrier squelch?  The fact that some may do this was a surprise to me.   I just looked up some common "FRS" and GMRS radio models and some in fact come with tone squelch on. 

This is really a poor idea for the consumer and supplier.  It may create incompatibility with other radios and result in poor reviews and a greater number of support calls, and the user can't hear someone if they really need help.   (Note: but its also a poor idea to expect to reach someone anyway, but its better than nothing - but only if you run carrier squelch).

This is what happens when "drive-by" manufacturers and suppliers get into the game to make a quick buck, then leave the mess with someone else (GMRS licensees) when the profits decline.     

Like many things in this world, GMRS users used to be a reasonably-trained and disciplined service (not to the level of amateur radio, however).   GMRS still is to some degree.  But the Commission's goal was to promote the greatest amount of benefit in a given spectrum band.  While many in the FCC are aware of the "Tragedy of the Commons" (below), they may believe we are not yet there.  But IMO, we are getting really close.  It should be our collective goal to push back on this when possible.          

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragedy_of_the_commons:  The tragedy of the commons is a situation in a shared-resource system where individual users, acting independently according to their own self-interest, behave contrary to the common good of all users by depleting or spoiling the shared resource through their collective action.) 

I am late to the game...just saw this post.

Jeez guys, nobody really understood the poster's question.   The issue is why would a manufacturer or supplier sell a radio pre-programmed with tone squelch, instead of just carrier squelch?  The fact that some may do this was a surprise to me.   I just looked up some common "FRS" and GMRS radio models and some in fact come with tone squelch on. 

This is really a poor idea for the consumer and supplier.  It may create incompatibility with other radios and result in poor reviews and a greater number of support calls, and the user can't hear someone if they really need help.   (Note: but its also a poor idea to expect to reach someone anyway, but its better than nothing - but only if you run carrier squelch).

This is what happens when "drive-by" manufacturers and suppliers get into the game to make a quick buck, then leave the mess with someone else (GMRS licensees) when the profits decline.     

Like many things in this world, GMRS users used to be a reasonably-trained and disciplined service (not to the level of amateur radio, however).   GMRS still is to some degree.  But the Commission's goal was to promote the greatest amount of benefit in a given spectrum band.  While many in the FCC are aware of the "Tragedy of the Commons" (below), they may believe we are not yet there.  But IMO, we are getting really close.  It should be our collective goal to push back on this when possible.          

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragedy_of_the_commons:  The tragedy of the commons is a situation in a shared-resource system where individual users, acting independently according to their own self-interest, behave contrary to the common good of all users by depleting or spoiling the shared resource through their collective action.) 

I have never seen a bubble pack radio programed to use a tone out of the box by default. All I have seen have carrier squelch by default, and are "preprogrammed" with tones that can be selected if desired. 

...  Jeez guys, nobody really understood the poster's question.   The issue is why would a manufacturer or supplier sell a radio pre-programmed with tone squelch, instead of just carrier squelch?...

I understood the question just fine, and answered it. So did others.

If you read my responses, you will see that I used polite language to express that fact that the tech is extremely useful (and why) and he (everyone) should spend 3 minutes reading the owners manual to learn how to use the new radio they just bought instead of complaining about it here. 

Of course, I just gave you the less polite, 5 cent version... but question answered none the less.

Why is simple. Because buyers want it. If someone wants to put up a repeater and use travel tone for all to use, that’s their prerogative. Likewise, if they want their repeater to be private, more the same.

It’s certainly less exclusive than various non-compatible digital protocols like DMR and D-Star and P25.

If it confuses someone, if only there was some kind of resource you could access on a computer to make those inquiries. If only.

How much you think I knew about any of this stuff beforehand? The cool thing about ham and GMRS alike is that a lot of the people involved… well, they’re radio enthusiasts. Good people to touch base with. Oh, they’re kinda particular about BaoFengs? Hey, here’s a guy offering me one hell of a good deal on a TK-380 (or maybe three).

Nah, if anything ruins GMRS, it’s the bandits who cause repeater owners to not want to partake in the ORI, and people who don’t actually get to know their fellow GMRS users. I’m a loner by nature - I don’t particularly like people. Yet I’m having lunch today with someone from Front Range GMRS because we both like radio and we found out we get along.

You wanna ruin GMRS, treat it like CB, don’t have those interactions beyond RF, don’t participate in group events. Otherwise, you come to FRGMRS, and your blister pack or Midland can’t do our split tones, I’ve got three TK-380s I got at a really good deal. Hoss, I got you for a loaner radio or to sell you one at the same deal I got them for. Or you got the B-Tech GMRS-V1 and don’t know how to program it or don’t have a cable… got you covered (and the guy I’m having lunch with loaned me his cable before I got one).

If you’ve got that going on, CTCSS, DCS, split tones aren’t a big deal.

That’s the difference between ‘Babbabooey Bob’ on 11m just passing through and enthusiast/hobbyists - there’s a sense of community there. Be a part of it.

And this isn’t to say it’s completely dead on CB… I was a truck driver, I’ve had those instances where I’d happen across someone on the CB, we’d grab a cup of coffee then shoot the breeze on the CB while we drove. It’s just unfortunate that CB culture is a bit of a rarity and trailer trash culture has stepped up to fill the void.

Why is simple. Because buyers want it. If someone wants to put up a repeater and use travel tone for all to use, that’s their prerogative. Likewise, if they want their repeater to be private, more the same.

It’s certainly less exclusive than various non-compatible digital protocols like DMR and D-Star and P25.

If it confuses someone, if only there was some kind of resource you could access on a computer to make those inquiries. If only.

How much you think I knew about any of this stuff beforehand? The cool thing about ham and GMRS alike is that a lot of the people involved… well, they’re radio enthusiasts. Good people to touch base with. Oh, they’re kinda particular about BaoFengs? Hey, here’s a guy offering me one hell of a good deal on a TK-380 (or maybe three).

Nah, if anything ruins GMRS, it’s the bandits who cause repeater owners to not want to partake in the ORI, and people who don’t actually get to know their fellow GMRS users. I’m a loner by nature - I don’t particularly like people. Yet I’m having lunch today with someone from Front Range GMRS because we both like radio and we found out we get along.

You wanna ruin GMRS, treat it like CB, don’t have those interactions beyond RF, don’t participate in group events. Otherwise, you come to FRGMRS, and your blister pack or Midland can’t do our split tones, I’ve got three TK-380s I got at a really good deal. Hoss, I got you for a loaner radio or to sell you one at the same deal I got them for. Or you got the B-Tech GMRS-V1 and don’t know how to program it or don’t have a cable… got you covered (and the guy I’m having lunch with loaned me his cable before I got one).

If you’ve got that going on, CTCSS, DCS, split tones aren’t a big deal.

That’s the difference between ‘Babbabooey Bob’ on 11m just passing through and enthusiast/hobbyists - there’s a sense of community there. Be a part of it.

And this isn’t to say it’s completely dead on CB… I was a truck driver, I’ve had those instances where I’d happen across someone on the CB, we’d grab a cup of coffee then shoot the breeze on the CB while we drove. It’s just unfortunate that CB culture is a bit of a rarity and trailer trash culture has stepped up to fill the void.

Great synopsis of the radio hobbyist community! I agree, 100 percent.

LMAO, Marc, less polite? not really, still pretty nice response.... and the 5 cent version? What about the nickel version? is a nickel 10 cents?

G.

I understood the question just fine, and answered it. So did others.

If you read my responses, you will see that I used polite language to express that fact that the tech is extremely useful (and why) and he (everyone) should spend 3 minutes reading the owners manual to learn how to use the new radio they just bought instead of complaining about it here. 

Of course, I just gave you the less polite, 5 cent version... but question answered none the less.

I have never seen a bubble pack radio programed to use a tone out of the box by default. All I have seen have carrier squelch by default, and are "preprogrammed" with tones that can be selected if desired. 

Motorola's used 67.0 Hz by default, while Midland's are CSQ by default. Motorola also had an optional Quiet-Talk feature, which requires an additional tone (52 Hz) before transmissions; this went away when they introduced their current Txxx series radios because it didn't work well.

FRS isn't about communicating with everyone else on FRS, it's about selling a set of radios that work together and don't unmute on interfering signals. Look at Midland's "extra channels".

Motorola's used 67.0 Hz by default, while Midland's are CSQ by default. Motorola also had an optional Quiet-Talk feature, which requires an additional tone (52 Hz) before transmissions; this went away when they introduced their current Txxx series radios because it didn't work well.

FRS isn't about communicating with everyone else on FRS, it's about selling a set of radios that work together and don't unmute on interfering signals. Look at Midland's "extra channels".

Thanks. The Motorolas I bought used CSQ, I thought. I didn't keep them long, I returned them since they had horrible volume issues. I bough Midlands and they outperformed the Motorolas. Before I returned them, I was able to communicate with the Midlands with no changing of any settings. I still use the Midlands from time to time, though I have bought better radios since. 

I will say that having a radio preprogrammed to use a tone by default is not necessarily bad, and possibly a good thing for someone who simply wants to talk to family. They don't deal with hearing others without having to select a tone, unless of course there are others using the same radio nearby. None of it is much of an issue since tones are easy to select, and the radios come with instructions. 

I acquired a pair of Motorola MR-355R blister pack radios in 2009. It has an admixture of 121 CTSS and DCS tones, and they synch up with the Midland MXT-325s I have, plus I can program any number of radios (whether BaoFengs or Commercial) with the corresponding tones or octals listed in the user manual, and they’ll communicate with each other.

https://www.motorolasolutions.com/content/dam/msi/docs/business/staticfiles/mr355_and_mr356_user_guide.pdf

Page 4 of 5 in the .pdf file. My Midland MXT-325s match what’s shown in that user manual, as well.

But, these may be later models than what was being referred to?

I also had a pair of Motorola MJ270s which matched the MR-355R, except those were not repeater capable. I have them to my shop lead, after he said he needed a couple two-way radios.

The MXTs are from a box of 24 that someone I know who bid on and won a storage unit acquired, and the two MJ-270s were in that one also. I gave the rest away, mostly to parents who wanted them for their kids to play with. I won’t give out the MR-355Rs. Even though FRGMRS uses split tones on their repeaters, there’s a couple non-network ones using single tone CTCSS or non split standardized octals, and I don’t want the kiddos inadvertently getting on those. If you scan with the Motorolas and it hits an active frequency, it automatically identifies the CTCSS tone or DCS octal in use, if it’s from that standardized list… it seems to default to Tone 1 (67 hz) when it encounters an octal that isn’t programmed to that radio. Haven’t tried it with the MXTs, but I’m assuming they do the same.

I know the CTCSS-capable Motorolas will automatically pick up on the CTCSS/DCS in use on a channel while scanning, but I went through a bunch of user manuals for Midlands and didn't see that functionality. A scan talkback feature is described, so I don't know if the functionality is present but not discussed.