Any Columbia, SC GMRS users?

First time posting, and I got my FCC license about a week ago.  

I live in the Blythewood area of SC, near Columbia.  There are a number of repeaters in the area, including NE Columbia, Lexington, Little Mountain and Hopkins, yet I never seem to hear very much traffic on any of them.  

I have made a few contacts here and there, but its mostly silent every time I transmit.  I'm on the repeaters probably 2-3 times per day.  My usual times are 0500-0545 and 1800-1830, but it varies every day.  Some days I'm on during the day even.  

Currently I'm running a Midland MXT-115 mounted in my vehicle, but I plan on buying a Baofeng handheld in the near future, as I have been educating myself on using the CHIRP software.  Quick question about that - does CHIRP work on a Mac computer?  

If anyone here is in the central SC region, I'd love to hear from you!  I go back and forth between the Columbia/Lexington repeaters (linked) and the Little Mountain/Hopkins repeaters (also linked).  

Jason D.

Blythewood, SC

WREX979

Hi Jason, welcome to the forum.

Midland radios are tough to use on gmrs. They are narrow band. They do not support split pl tones. I have 2, a 275 and a 400. Midland decided to make them the same as their handhelds.

Most repeaters you will find are wideband. They will also support split pl tones, Midland will not.

I also have a baofung hand held, its not a bad radio, people here will say otherwise.

My advise to you is to read every post about ccr radios (Cheap Chinese Radios) and decide from an informed view point AFTER you have read their input!

Hi Jason. I don't want to repeat the previous reply, but I'll support his response. 

Midland has told me they intend to "update" the product line this year and that the Micro Mobiles will be wideband capable. They basically screwed the pooch. and didn't mean to, on those, with the oversight being that wideband GMRS repeaters (which are 99% of them) don't play nice with narrowband only radios. The split PL thing has never been a big deal to me, as in 30 years of working with radio commercially, and being a GMRS licensee for 25, I have never used or setup any repeater in any service with split PL's. I see the reason why someone would, but I have not. 

I own a good many mobiles and portables, and a MTR2000 repeater...all have a "M" on them, so I am spoiled. 

I have a couple of Boafeng 888's that I kind of play with on a secondary repeater, and a UV5R, they all have their place. It's all about expectations. 

My personal repeater runs split tones, and several other private repeaters around me run split tones. It's almost exclusively commercial radios being used on those. That said, nearly all of the GMRS activity happens on repeaters without split tones. Having that capability isn't essential for a first radio, but a need might arise later on.

• 4 years later...