#1 WRFF247

WRFF247

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationKent, WA
  • GMRS Callsign:WRFF247

Posted 20 February 2020 - 08:13 PM

NEW to GMRS. Got my license, purchased a Midland MXT400 AND the 6db antenna. 

I'm mounting this opposite my CB antenna on the hood-one is passenger side, the other drivers. 

Do I need to tune this setup like I did my CB once its installed? The antenna came with a small allen wrench and a set screw where the whip enters the spring base. 

I have a SS bracket made for the Jeep hood contour but it's drilled out at 1/2" for a CB style antenna mount. The GMRS antenna comes with a plastic insulator bushing that requires a 5/8" hole. I assume I can enlarge the bracket and that should be good. 

My goal for this setup is off road comms and maybe some casual station monitoring and playing around with repeaters. I'll have to do more homework on that once I get things installed and operational. I am pretty familiar with the CB world but GMRS is something new. 

Not looking to go full HAM but that is always a possiblility down the road. For now, just want to get the GMRS up and running. 

#2 marcspaz

marcspaz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 20 February 2020 - 10:33 PM

You are good to go with the antenna. Its pre-tuned.

Just be sure the negative side is properly grounded, add a ground strap from the hood to the top of the inner fender and the common ground under the hood or the negative side of the battery. You will see improvements with CB performance, too.
  • krvw likes this

#3 quarterwave

quarterwave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • LocationOh-io
  • GMRS Callsign:KAF4073
  • Ham Callsign:K8MLO

Posted 21 February 2020 - 09:26 AM

Pictures when you are done! Folks love to see a good install. 

#4 Elkhunter521

Elkhunter521

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • LocationWashougal Washington
  • GMRS Callsign:Ask

Posted 23 February 2020 - 04:50 AM

Hi, Keith here. Im in Washougal Wa. Just East across the river from Portland Or . The good side of the river.

You will do best if you can mount your antenna in the center of a 61/2 in of metal that is well grounded

Be vewy vewy quiet.
I'm listening to my wadio!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users