Listed Repeaters NOT ON THE AIR

batt63

I think there should be a renewal component to registration. 

I know of a listing of about 20...and I'm not sure if even one of them is on the air. Some people list them to try to keep others from using the channel and others list them...well as the dream of owning a repeater. I don't like that 2% of people are making the resource inaccurate. 

We're working on a new website and this will be one of the first "new" features once it's rolled out. There will be a voting system where people can indicate whether a given repeater is online or not. Using this information, we can get rid of the offline and outdated systems.

Right now, we hide anything older than a year from the map page, but that's not perfect. There are systems that haven't been updated in a long time that are still on the air, and some that were listed more recently that are already gone.

I think this voting system will be the better way to handle it unless someone has better suggestions. I think requiring someone to log in every year to update the listing is difficult to do, and risks hiding good stuff out there. We could also handle signal reports through this system so you can get feedback on where people are reaching it from and the signal quality.

Hi this is more a question than an answer.

I just want to know is there any rules stating that repeater owners that list their repeater have to have a valid callsign to list their repeater on here. Is there a rule in general that the owner have to have a GMRS license?

Hi this is more a question than an answer.

I just want to know is there any rules stating that repeater owners that list their repeater have to have a valid callsign to list their repeater on here. Is there a rule in general that the owner have to have a GMRS license?

Technically, in order to have a repeater online, it has to have a licensed owner/operator, and thus would have a valid callsign, since that device would be broadcasting your input.

• 6 months later...

Over the years ive had to report repeaters after trying to contact the owner and getting a reply stating "Business use only. not for public use".

Maybe if you have this voting system it could ask a question of did you try to contact the person for access and if so did you get a reply?

And it would also be nice to have information on the listings page to see if the repeaters listing was updated within the year and if the callsign of the person listing it is valid instead of having to go to each repeater listed.

Over the years ive had to report repeaters after trying to contact the owner and getting a reply stating "Business use only. not for public use".

Business use is quite possible and legal on GMRS. At one point business licensing was permitted and those licenses are still valid and grand-fathered for their original usage. See § 95.1705 (g)

In my case it's NOT listed repeaters that ARE on the air.

Sounds like a good time to try and hit some area repeaters while out and about in the hills and possibly report whether they function.  None of the 4 repeaters in this area are Updated on the map but I know 3 of them are working.  I've spoken with all the owners for tones and permission even if not requested, then powered them up.

Some substantial elevation changes around here so expect to hit them from a long way.  Just have to get a 2nd party to play with.

In my case it's NOT listed repeaters that ARE on the air.

Sounds like a good time to try and hit some area repeaters while out and about in the hills and possibly report whether they function.  None of the 4 repeaters in this area are Updated on the map but I know 3 of them are working.  I've spoken with all the owners for tones and permission even if not requested, then powered them up.

Some substantial elevation changes around here so expect to hit them from a long way.  Just have to get a 2nd party to play with.

Not everyone lists there repeaters. I have multiple that are not listed and know of others out there. Its a volunteer thing to go in and ujpdate and many don't care.

Not everyone lists there repeaters. I have multiple that are not listed and know of others out there. Its a volunteer thing to go in and ujpdate and many don't care.

I think there is an ongoing impression, especially amongst people new to GMRS,  that repeaters are somehow part of GMRS and generally available to licensed GMRS users and that this site, or any other, is somehow involved.

It has been posted here before, but perhaps it needs to be made sticky, that:

A GMRS license includes the right to use simplex communications on all 22 GMRS channels, subject to the published power and bandwidth limitations. While a licensee also has the right to operate a repeater, the license does not include the right to use other repeaters. Any such access, if permitted, must be done in accordance with the operating practices set by the repeater owner.