GMRS emergency channel?

frao74

44 minutes ago, amaff said:

I believe he meant this one. But the point remains.

Thanks, I guess I goofed that. Went back and fixed it.

I guess I entered the wrong linking code to the electronic device… thank goodness it wasn’t an emergency depending on that 😂

Edited by WRUU653
Just a bit of fun to make a point…

54 minutes ago, kirk5056 said:

I think having a non-cluttered distress channel is even more important for NON-radio geeks.  IMHO most people dont want to listen to constant clutter, rag-chew, etc.  Without listeners any distress channel is worthless.

I absolutely agree with you but as I’m sure you realize, tones do not reduce clutter.  They simply mask it. If a channel is busy it’s entirely possible that an emergency call will never be heard.  This is part of the fallacy of relying on GMRS for an emergency wherever it’s in heavy use.

With that said, having a two way radio of any kind and knowing how to use it is infinitely better than having no way to communicate.

Knowing how to use it is important.  There are actually minor things that can reduce range that are simple to learn how to overcome, but people in general, think you can buy accuracy, range, performance and strength; just like those 1940's Jeeps outdoing the tricked out V-8's.   Knowledge often outflanks strength and money.

On 7/8/2024 at 12:33 PM, SteveShannon said:

They simply mask it. If a channel is busy it’s entirely possible that an emergency call will never be heard

"masking" clutter is all I need.  If the un-masked clutter chases me off the channel then there is a 100% chance I will never hear the call.