New GMRS Radio Wouxun KG-1000G

Gerald1971

• 3 weeks later...

Here's another radio that i found on buy two way radios website. now were getting some choices in gmrs radios :)

https://www.buytwowayradios.com/blog/2020/11/wouxun-kg-1000g-mobile-gmrs-radio.html

Just had two delivered. Set one up as my base station. Hitting the repeater 30 miles away and enjoying some of the features that my old Midland MXT 400 did not have. It was easy to program using their data cable and software I downloaded from the website. So far so good. Changed out my mobile unit as well and love the detachable face plate that I can now mount on the dashboard very cleanly.

• 2 months later...

Are two Wouxan KG-1000G's in repeater mode able to send out a morse type ID at a set time interval?

Vernon

WRKY635

No. You will need additional electronics for that.

Your repeater does not however need to identify if you and your family are the only ones that use it, and your family members self identify per the rules. Since that is often too limiting, since you are likely to also converse with non-family members, you might need to look into a third party controller or announcer to suit your needs.

I just recently purchased, but not received yet, a product that you can add to nearly any radio to self identify (ArgentData ADS-SR1). I will be adapting it to work with my base radio to assist with the various range testing I am doing. It can do a lot of things. In my case one of those things will be to transmit my call sign and a message on a schedule while I do my tests. Take a look and see if it may work for you.

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

I know we have talked about this before... but I have evolved in my understanding of the rules...  So I have a private family repeater, have my VRX-7000 send out my call sign in morse code as first time key up the repeater.  I understand it is an approved form of sending out the first time key the mic.  At the end of conversation or every 10 minutes close with verbal call sign.  Is that ok or am I missing an issue with the way you read the rules.  I accept your answers with any or all your declaimers and will not call you as a witness at my FCC hearing.

Jack

No. You will need additional electronics for that.

Your repeater does not however need to identify if you and your family are the only ones that use it, and your family members self identify per the rules. Since that is often too limiting, since you are likely to also converse with non-family members, you might need to look into a third party controller or announcer to suit your needs.

I just recently purchased, but not received yet, a product that you can add to nearly any radio to self identify (ArgentData ADS-SR1). I will be adapting it to work with my base radio to assist with the various range testing I am doing. It can do a lot of things. In my case one of those things will be to transmit my call sign and a message on a schedule while I do my tests. Take a look and see if it may work for you.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

I know we have talked about this before... but I have evolved in my understanding of the rules... So I have a private family repeater, have my VRX-7000 send out my call sign in morse code as first time key up the repeater. I understand it is an approved form of sending out the first time key the mic. At the end of conversation or every 10 minutes close with verbal call sign. Is that ok or am I missing an issue with the way you read the rules. I accept your answers with any or all your declaimers and will not call you as a witness at my FCC hearing.

Jack

Hello Mac,

Every operating (transmitting) radio is a station. Every station is required to ID per the 95E rules. A station transmits on only one frequency at a time and each station needs to identify on the frequency being used. When you are using your repeater station and you identify from your handheld station you are transmitting and identifying on a 467.xxxx frequency. Your repeater receives and retransmits it on a differ frequency (462.xxxxx). Because the repeater is a station too, it must identify. Now, when only you (the licensee) and your family are using your repeater, and everyone identifies per the rules, all stations involved in the communications are properly identified according to the rules. The family individuals are properly identified when they give your callsign on the 467.xxxx frequency, your repeater when it retransmits them using your callsign on 462.xxxxx.

All this changes when the repeater is used by others however. The official identification of the repeater is and will always be your callsign. Why? Because you are licensee and the repeater is operating under the authority of your license. You are wholly responsible for it.

If another neighborhood family uses your repeater, they are responsible for ID’ing their own transmissions. However your repeater must still identify its transmission with your callsign. It cannot officially identify using someone else’s call sign because it is not their station, it is yours. So as a repeater owner your have a choice. You can sit by the radio and transmit your callsign every 15 minutes manually while the repeater is in use by others, or you can install an automatic identification module. The latter is the simplest and preferred approach.

So let us boil it down. If you and only your family use the repeater and no one else, the repeater is property identified when you property identify while using it. When you let others use it, the repeater still needs to identify using your callsign. In my view the simplest solution is just to let the repeater always automatically self-identify.

Hope this helps.

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

Back to the OP’s topic...  :)

I just ordered one of these units for myself.  From looking at the manuals and YouTube review from “notarubicon” it looks pretty easy to program from the front panel/handset.   It doesn't look like the unit includes a programming cable - Does anyone know which cable is needed (there are three or four different USB programming cables listed on buytwowayradios.com and its not clear which one works with the KG-1000G...

I haven’t decided yet whether to run this unit in my Jeep or to install in my off-road trailer with a telescoping antenna to use as a base station while camped...   looks like a really good radio for GMRS considering the feature set.  I opted for this over a Kenwood TK-8180 HK2 (& KRK-10 faceplate) simply because I got tired of waiting for one to come up on eBay.   I'd be interested in someone comparing this radio against the TK-8180 at some point...

On the cable PCO-03 $14.99 for the Wouxun 1000G comes with a CD disk with the drivers. As a comparison the Kenwood 8180 K is a solid transceiver and the two work fine. Where the 1000 K shines is 50 watts, dual band scanning (say your group uses GMRS on the trail but the leader and the talk gunner want to be able to talk on GMRS 22 to make sure every one is making the correct turns you can set the first side to GMRS 22 and the second side to GMRS 17 and monitor both at the same time). The programing with a cable is better than the key pad but the key pad does many things on the fly. Great radio so far and the squelch actually works!