Local repeater and CHIRP

letapia

Question

Hello there, I am having trouble with programming my local GMRS repeater to my radio (Baofeng UV5RTP) using CHIRP.  The owner of the repeater was not super helpful but still kind enough to have the repeater, so that's cool.  It can be found here ----->   https://mygmrs.com/view?id=3768

Here is the repeater info

output: 462.625 MHz - 156 DPL

input:   467.625 MHz - 156 DPL

deviation of 12.5 KHz

What do I need to enter into the columns of CHIRP so I can use the repeater?

Thank you,

Lou

7 answers to this question

First off, Welcome to GMRS. All of us here hope you have a good experience.

All licensees are obligated under the terms of their license to know, understand and follow the rules. In case you have not studied them, here are some links that are immediately relevant.

https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/FCC-17-57A1.pdf

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/47/part-95

The first link contains a PDF version of the rules that you can download, keep and reference.

As you read through the rules you will learn a lot about GMRS and the other Personal Radio Services. You will also learn that in 2017 the rules evolved to require that only radios that are type certified (95e and earlier 95a grandfathered). The rules clarify that new products will be not be certified for GMRS unless they comply with technical requirements of 95e, they clarify that it is the licensee’s obligation to use only compliant equipment and they clarify by specific example that non-certified equipment (such as amateur radio equipment) cannot and will not be certified for use in GMRS. The UV5R is not a certified radio, thus it can only legally be operated by a licensed amateur radio operator on amateur radio frequencies only.

Admittedly, you will eventually learn that some folks on this and other forums do not comply with the rules. They do this at their own risk. But is is also safe to say that the majority of folks here want to be good stewards of the GMRS service and we hope you will too.

Once you have read the rules through a couple of times, feel free to ask whatever questions you have. There are a lot of knowledgable folks here. Probably best to start separate thread with you questions so as not to hide them under the current “Local Repeater and Chirp” topic.

Once again,

Welcome to GMRS.

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

I am new at this so forgive my ignorance. When putting in a repeater channel, I am a little confused as to tone. I can just put tone or Cross tone or TSQL or DTCS but I can't figure exactly what tone to use. For example:

462.60000 +5

Any suggesstions would be a great help, thank you and Happy New Year.

GRMS callsign: WRJY843

The way you need to go about it can very by radio model in my experience.

First off, you asked about tone, then you list an example that has to do with frequency. Two separate things.

My answer is based on you using Chirp and a radio that it supports. I also strongly recommend you review the information available on the Chirp website. Here is a link that provides the official explanation of the fields in the memory grid.

https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/MemoryEditorColumns

With regards to frequency. When entering frequencies, with some radios you can enter the Rx frequency, offset direction and value. In other cases you must enter the Rx frequency and Tx frequency explicitly. You can find the official explanation on the same link included above.

Hopefully this helps.

I am new at this so forgive my ignorance. When putting in a repeater channel, I am a little confused as to tone. I can just put tone or Cross tone or TSQL or DTCS but I can't figure exactly what tone to use. For example:

462.60000 +5

Any suggesstions would be a great help, thank you and Happy New Year.

GRMS callsign: WRJY843

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

Thanks Michael, I needed this info a month ago... why did you wait.... just joking.  This makes so much sense.... I did set up correctly.  

Jack

The way you need to go about it can very by radio model in my experience.

First off, you asked about tone, then you list an example that has to do with frequency. Two separate things.

My answer is based on you using Chirp and a radio that it supports. I also strongly recommend you review the information available on the Chirp website. Here is a link that provides the official explanation of the fields in the memory grid.

https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/MemoryEditorColumns

With regards to frequency. When entering frequencies, with some radios you can enter the Rx frequency, offset direction and value. In other cases you must enter the Rx frequency and Tx frequency explicitly. You can find the official explanation on the same link included above.

Hopefully this helps.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM