Beginning GMRS User

dchemphill1

Hey I am new to the community and to running a GMRS radio.  How do I go about finding others in the area that are on any of the channels 1-7 FRS or 15-22 GMRS or repeater channels 15-22?  Is there a proper way to let people know you are on the air?  Are there channels that are more often used like the CB used channel 19 as a standard for truck traffic back in the day.

Thanks for helping a nube out with his new tech.

Easiest option would be to "scan" the channels. I believe Ch 20 is considered the "emergency" hailing frequency (think ch 9 on CB) however I wouldnt depend on it.

As for repeaters, you can check the MyGMRS listings here, while not 100% accurate, they do help in finding something local. Repeaters usually increase the range of your portable so you can get your signal out further, and there are some linked repeater systems which will allow you to talk regionally or even nationally as well. Be sure to check that a repeater is "open" for use or obtain the repeater owners permission prior to use.

Welcome dchemphill1 to the group...  I agree with WRAK968, just have set radio to scan..  If you hear some traffic on the any of the channel just say WRAK968 monitoring or radio check.  Strike up a conversation...  Good group of folks.  And do look for repeaters in your area.

As a newbie myself feel free to ask as this site gets new folks with the same question and these guys take turns answering my dumb questions.  In fact I got so self-conscious I would Private Message the poster to get a better understanding.  You will find all my mentors and coaches...

Jack  

I'll add a warm welcome to this growing fraternity. Thankfully there's no hazing involved. The channels around me seemed pretty silent when I first got my license, too. But with some patience and a lot of leaving the radio run in my home office, I've connected with a few folks. And don't be shy about asking permission to use a repeater you find listed here. In my limited experience most who run them are extremely helpful.  

Hello. I am new to the GMRS world. Just obtained my license. I have a Btech V1. Curious if someone can point me in the right direction for a better antenna. Also looking to chat and learn more.

Welcome to the forum Jeepandy. Welcome to myGMRS.

I would recommend you start a new thread with a clear title for your topic over in the General Discussion area of the forum. Doing so will make it easier for you and others to find and track along with the discussion.

Once again, Welcome!

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

Hello Group!

New to GMRS and learning about how all this works..   My main purpose in getting into GMRS is for backup coms for my family, and I know there is a lot to learn. HAM would have required everybody to test.. and that wasn't happening.. lol

We've purchased several BTech products  (2x 50X1 - 3x V1) and now nobody knows how to use/program them. Lots of foreign terms and programming lingo. Pretty sure i've figured out the simplex mode, but the range was a little disappointing. I suppose its possible that they are not set up correctly or something. Anyway, I could sure use some advice from some of you vets on basic things to do to be sure we are getting the most out of these radios. I will be joining onto the repeater in Columbia area s soon as I hear back from the admin.

Thanks and I look forward to getting to know the group!

WRKI386

Chris

new guy here...     Im not sure how to start a new topic but maybe its because I'm new to the site..  I've programmed one of my handhelds (V1)  to connected to my local repeater and I can hear a little activity, but no reply when asking for a "check".. so I'm not sure its actually connected correctly..   not sure how to confirm transmission is set up right.

tia

WRKI386

Chris