MXT275 Receives but doesn't Transmit

gjbartel

Question

Hi Guys, I'm an old CB'er & new to GMRS, and I'm puzzled by my new Midland MXT275. Everything functions, but it won't transmit. Privacy codes are off, factory default settings. I was out with my 4WD group this weekend, received fine, but no transmit. Transmit meter pegs, Tx icon is right, Transmit light is on. I pick up a repeater in Albuquerque, so I don't see an antenna problem. What am I missing?

Gary J.

WRKK288

Tucson

Look in the Owners Manual. 

Try resetting the unit back to its original setting.

- Be sure the radio is turned off (see Power On/Off).

- Press and hold the PTT and the Weather button simultaneously..

- With the buttons still held, turn on the radio.

▪ All user settings will be cleared, returning the radio to all default settings

Just a hunch  - if you are using an external speaker ensure it is plugged in all the way.

I did the factory reset, no go, as far as trying a different antenna if I'm receiving a repeater that's 455 miles away (albeit scratchy) and others in my group, I don't know? I've got a ticket in to Midland, they've yet to get back other to acknowledge receipt

The plug/connector for for my 400 has a very stiff rubber seal that I have to ensure I push it into the radio harder than I care to.I suppose that helps to form a seal (some what).  Might want to check that the connector is all the way into port. 

After completing the reset ensure you have reset the PL code (if being used) for the channel you are using.

- Press and release the Menu button to a place the radio in “Menu” mode.

- Use the Volume Up or Volume Down button to scroll through the menu options until the LCD display shows Pt, then press the Lock button.

- Use the Volume Up or Volume Down button to select the privacy tone type you would like to use: oF, Ct, or dC

- Press the Lock button to confirm your selection. The (for CTCSS) or (for DCS) icon will show on the LCD
display, according to your selection
Note: The (for CTCSS) or (for DCS) icon will show on the LCD display, according to your selection

- Use the Volume Up or Volume Down button to scroll forward or backward through the available Privacy Codes until the desired Privacy Code is shown on the LCD display.

NOTE: DCS Privacy Codes 100-104 are shown on the LCD display as A0-A4.

NOTE: Selecting a Privacy Code of “oF” will disable the Privacy feature.

edited

I determined it's not transmitting while with a group on the same channel, I receive, and the unit mimics transmission ie. lights, bars, icons, but nobody receives. I thank y'all for the positive suggestions and advice. Midland tech service is sending another unit. Think its just defective.

Have you tested GMRS channel 15-22 simplex, non-repeater?

The Repeater channels will only work with a Repeater, unless you have a fully programable radio where you can invert the TX/467.xxx and RX/462.xxx, so you can hear your radio's TX.

Also if you have a meter, SW-102, that shows the Freq, verify that your actually TXing on the correct Freq.

Has the radio ever worked with the Repeater channels, even with a full reset?

So to clarify, a repeater channel TXs on 437.xxx and RX on 462.xxx, duplex.

The repeater more that likely is using tones.

Then depending on the repeater is might be doing split tones, which your radio does not support.

Were the TX is one tone and the RX is a different tone.

When I was testing my MXT275, I had no issues hitting my local linked repeater about 35-40 miles away the time.

It uses duplex with a single tone.

good luck.

The transmit has never worked, brand new out of the box, after total reset, w/o Privacy codes, & after going through the menu & turning everything off (doesn't have a transmit kill), & having the monitor switch "off". Receives great, excellent range. Sorry, I don't have a meter. On the shopping list.

Midland is stumped as well, they're sending me another unit. 

Thanks for all the suggestions, I learned a few things.

AND THE FINAL ANSWER IS: There is nothing wrong with my MXT275. The others in my 4x4 group we're all using hand held radios that had an unswitchable CTCSS code of which they were unaware. I was able to monitor but not get through. I purchased a Retrevis RT76P for my wife, and after matching codes, we're good. 

I want to thank everybody for helping out...

BTW, I struggled with posting this and really lookin like a newb...but if you can't laugh at yourself...

Good Morning gjbartel.

Do you own a second GMRS radio? What model do you have?

While I don’t rule out the possibility of you having a defective unit, it is truly more likely that the two radios are simply not configured correctly (not configured in a complementary way). Since you are having issues, you need to start simple.

Read the manual on your radio. Determine which memories (channels) on your radio that actually capable of being used for transmission (MicroMobile radios are not permitted to transmit on all channels and frequencies, some are receive only).

Reset your radios to factory defaults, if that is an option.

Pick a common simplex channel with frequency that both of your radios are both are permitted to transmit on. Configure both radios so they use that same frequency.

Disable CTCSS and DCS codes for the channel/frequency you picked, and do this on both radio units.

Set squelch control to minimum value, for any model you use with adjustable squelch (it may be a menu option).

Now try and communicate between the two radios while in relatively close proximity (25’ or so).

By eliminating use of any CTCSS/DCS codes, you eliminate the chance that it is your code settings that are preventing you from having success, leading you to believe your transmitter is defective.

For basic simple operation:

Both radios must be configured to transmit and receive on the same frequency.

Both radios must be capable of transmitting on the chosen frequency.

Both radios must be powered on.

Both radios must be within radio range, with squelch settings low enough to permit the receive radio to unmute when the other radio is transmitting.

Both radios must be configured with compatible, complementary CTCSS/DCS codes (or both with none at all).

Any ‘group mode’ settings on your midland radios (if they have them) are turned off.

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

Morning Michael, I have a Retevis RT76P hand held I bought for my spotter when on the 4x4 trails, & can communicate easily on like configured channels. I cannot remove the factory CTCSS/DCS codes on the RT76P w/o a cable & software which I do not have. So the Midland will transmit & receive when channels are complimentary.

My frustration comes from not reaching anyone else, receiving others, not getting replies...unclear how useful this commo method is without prior coordination of stations

Gary J.

IF others have there radio set with CTCSS/DPL they are not going to hear you regardless of what you do. If your in CSQ mode you will hear them but they will never hear you. Just as you have experienced with your RT76P. You need to determine what PL/DPL/Code the others are using. I ran into this at JJ last fall with a user that bought a radio online, didn't know how to program it and had no idea what PL/DPL he was on. After an hour of trying each tone i finally found what he had programmed and made him write it down with the channel so if others asked he could share. I have found this to be quite common with 4x4 folks cause they just buy a radio and use with no license or understanding of the radio.

For exactly the reasons/problems (plus more) you note in this thread, virtually every organization that makes serious use of two-way radio specifically instructs their members/users to not use any form of tone/code squelch.  BTW, I will not say it can't happen... But, I have never heard of a radio in which PL/DPL could not be completely disabled.  The problem is usually the operator and not the equipment.

....I have never heard of a radio in which PL/DPL could not be completely disabled. The problem is usually the operator and not the equipment.

Same here. From the original Motorola Talk-Abouts purchased in the 90s and up until now, all consumer radios I have had my hands on to date have had the ability to disable CTCSS/DCS. I would not buy a radio without this fundamental capability.

Honestly, where I live there is so little interfering traffic that when in simplex mode I do not even use them.

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

Morning Michael, I have a Retevis RT76P hand held I bought for my spotter when on the 4x4 trails, & can communicate easily on like configured channels. I cannot remove the factory CTCSS/DCS codes on the RT76P w/o a cable & software which I do not have. So the Midland will transmit & receive when channels are complimentary.

My frustration comes from not reaching anyone else, receiving others, not getting replies...unclear how useful this commo method is without prior coordination of stations

Gary J.

Did Midland finally get you squared away with a new MXT275?  I understand Midland may never divulge the issue but, did the new radio solve the problem?

i have the same problem on a midland mxt275.  to use it you would not see any reason to think it is not transmitting. 

when noone answers you it makes you wonder.  so i put a meter to it and it is not putting out anything.  it won't even register the 

frequency.  the tx bars are pegged and it receives very well. my radio worked out the box and on the meter i had a 1.2 swr.

it would get out ten miles crystal clear.  after set up i used it maybe three times before i realized it wasn't transmitting at all.

i am waiting to hear back from Midland, not the easiest to get in touch with.