New model Baofeng appears to be a great improvement

jc1240

I always get a kick out of those that buy Baofeng radios, then tune them to some TV station frequency, thinking they are outsmarting well funded government agencies that are most likely using an Oscar Green/Blue spectrum analyzers, or some other signal detecting hardware. The groups I would worry about, would be carrying something more like the Motorola DTR series frequency hoppers, and keep them hidden inside a pocket, using remote PTT earpieces or speaker mics. Baofeng has received some interesting street cred with them prominently displayed by many LARPers, even if they are getting built to better specs now. Interesting thread for sure. 

On 12/21/2021 at 9:14 AM, axorlov said:

Baofengs are only good for tickling girlfriends. And for this better tools exist. Useless from every point of view.

You and @gman1971are entitled to your opinions about never recommending Baofengs for any purpose, but I still contend they are a wonderful way to get Newbies into either GMRS or Ham Radio and sometimes, Both!

I speak from experience...

2 hours ago, MichaelLAX said:

You and @gman1971are entitled to your opinions about never recommending Baofengs for any purpose, but I still content they are a wonderful way to get Newbies into either GMRS or Ham Radio and sometimes, Both!

I speak from experience...

And what would my opinion be? 

So, to clarify my opinion, b/c Michael seems to be putting words in my mouth that are not true: A Baofeng, or any cheap CCR its perfectly fine as your first radio, maybe even your second radio. That is my opinion. However, if you like the hobby, then anything after that the money should be better spent in a quality gear.  And personally, I would just cut to the chase and go straight to Motorola, why? B/c my range problems ended when I switched to Motorola... how ironic... the one brand that hams seem to despise the most... turned out to be the brand of radios that reaches the furthest...  but hams openly suggested buying more CCR garbage bags... I guess you can't argue with cheap.

Buying CCRs is just adding a lot of unneeded frustrations, especially if you are trying to setup your own repeater, and a waste of money in the long run... b/c just like me, you'll end up with ... Motorola.

Also, experience is just like an opinion...

G.

10 hours ago, PACNWComms said:

I always get a kick out of those that buy Baofeng radios, then tune them to some TV station frequency, thinking they are outsmarting well funded government agencies that are most likely using an Oscar Green/Blue spectrum analyzers, or some other signal detecting hardware. The groups I would worry about, would be carrying something more like the Motorola DTR series frequency hoppers, and keep them hidden inside a pocket, using remote PTT earpieces or speaker mics. Baofeng has received some interesting street cred with them prominently displayed by many LARPers, even if they are getting built to better specs now. Interesting thread for sure. 

Yep, DTR radios are pretty darn nice, for sure.

G.

Have seven here, DTR410's when they first came out. If you bought six, you had the choice of getting either a seventh radio, or a six bank charger. In 2021, I realize many users of the DTR/DPL series radios leave them defaulted. If some LARPer group were to make their own "TalkGroup" with a custom hopset set, then things get interesting. I only wish Motorola came out with a higher power version of this. (Knowing that the 410's were already limited by their fixed antenna.) I'll stick with Motorola when my life is on the line, and as you and others mentioned, CCR as a gateway to something better. As I mentioned in another thread, it was a little scary seeing a state emergency department with Bridgecom repeaters, Radioddity DB25-D mobiles, and other cheap radios alongside Yaesu, Kenwood, and Motorola. But in that case, at least they are cheap.....as they will need to stack spares deep when they are needed. I live in a state that has lots of tax revenue, but has no clue how to spend that money. At least the protesters have Baofeng's, which are very easy to listen in to with a twenty plus year old scanner. 

DTR410s.jpg

2 hours ago, PACNWComms said:

At least the protesters have Baofeng's, which are very easy to listen in to with a twenty plus year old scanner. 

Protestors rarely need to have any form of wireless communications.

Conspirators, insurrectionists and reprobates: well that's another story altogether!

16 hours ago, gman1971 said:

Also, experience is just like an opinion...

There are people with an opinion that have no experience.

There are people with experience that have no opinion.

I'd give greater value to an opinion from a person who has experience.

16 hours ago, gman1971 said:

And what would my opinion be? 

So, to clarify my opinion, b/c Michael seems to be putting words in my mouth that are not true: A Baofeng, or any cheap CCR its perfectly fine as your first radio, maybe even your second radio. That is my opinion. However, if you like the hobby, then anything after that the money should be better spent in a quality gear.  And personally, I would just cut to the chase and go straight to Motorola, why? B/c my range problems ended when I switched to Motorola... how ironic... the one brand that hams seem to despise the most... turned out to be the brand of radios that reaches the furthest...  but hams openly suggested buying more CCR garbage bags... I guess you can't argue with cheap.

Rather than go back and point out your earlier quotes, which at a minimum lead me to believe you felt all CCRs were garbage and trash (and why would anyone use garbage and/or trash, even if cheap, to start out in communications on any personal level), I'll just take the high road and say I am sorry for confusing your earlier statements and I will thank you for your clarification.

23 minutes ago, MichaelLAX said:

There are people with an opinion that have no experience.

There are people with experience that have no opinion.

I'd give greater value to an opinion from a person who has experience.

True, but remember that all opinions are valid, regardless of the level of experience. Why? because somebody's experience might not translate to your situation, so the opinion will not result in a favorable outcome for your situation. 

Fair point. I am sorry if I came too strong.

G.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, gman1971 said:

I really think Michael still has something he wants to tells us... 

And here it is:

According to the seditious conspiracy indictment, the defendants conspired through a variety of manners and means, including: organizing into teams that were prepared and willing to use force and to transport firearms and ammunition into Washington, D.C.; recruiting members and affiliates to participate in the conspiracy; organizing trainings to teach and learn paramilitary combat tactics; bringing and contributing paramilitary gear, weapons and supplies – including knives, batons, camouflaged combat uniforms, tactical vests with plates, helmets, eye protection and radio equipment – to the Capitol grounds; breaching and attempting to take control of the Capitol grounds and building on Jan. 6, 2021, in an effort to prevent, hinder and delay the certification of the electoral college vote; using force against law enforcement officers while inside the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021; continuing to plot, after Jan. 6, 2021, to oppose by force the lawful transfer of presidential power, and using websites, social media, text messaging and encrypted messaging applications to communicate with co-conspirators and others.

Leader of Oath Keepers and 10 Other Individuals Indicted in Federal Court for Seditious Conspiracy and Other Offenses Related to U.S. Capitol Breach

Bringing a CCR  to violently demonstrate at the Capitol of the United States of America! Have you NO shame?!??

Screen Shot 2022-01-13 at 2.02.53 PM.png

1 minute ago, gman1971 said:

Its easy to make fun of uninformed people for purchasing CCR garbage radios... except these informed radio people making fun are also purchasing those pieces of crap themselves like they are something special... 

G.

Might have it all wrong. Maybe they got the CCR's because the FBI undercover agents wouldn't take them seriously, leave them alone, and just follow the guys around using Motorola radios. The FBI would figure those guys are the smart ones.

28 minutes ago, gman1971 said:

Its easy to make fun of uninformed people for purchasing CCR garbage radios... except these informed radio people making fun are also purchasing those pieces of crap themselves like they are something special... 

G.

1) They are informed enough that they will get the opportunity to defend ALL of their actions before a jury of their peers; one of the birthrights that they themselves hope to take away from you, me and all of US (like the right to have a peaceful transition of power to the persons who won their elections)!

2) Last time I checked @Lscottand I did not claim:

• It is the China Virus
  • The election was stolen

It's not funny; it's TRAGIC!

@Lscott

And you are right, I certainly don't know how informed or uninformed those people are/were, but do you?

The fact is that some people make fun of people using CCRs (regardless of where, and how they are/were used) but they are using CCRs themselves too... that is the hilarious part.

@MichaelLAX

And how do you know those facts? I support that CCRs are garbage with data from ISO-tee tests I've performed, and that is where it ends. You were the first person to post J6 pictures on this thread, did you not? And now you are claiming that those people knew well what they were doing,

election?, virus?, an eye patch? what are you talking about. Once again: don't put words in my mouth, because you seem to do that quite often...  

Tragic is the fact that this being a radio forum and here we are talking about matters that are not related to radios pretending to use radios as an excuse.

So, if you want to be cheap and use garbage radios, then go for it. 

Then lets leave politics to politicians... and I am NOT a politician. Now, if you don't like what you see in politics, then its very simple: you vote for what you'd like to see then; then after the results are in, accept that if you lose, it is the way it has to be, and that if you win, be mindful that others might not be as happy as you are. That's it!! Now, If just voting alone is not enough for you, then get involved in politics, start your own political career, etc. Otherwise, conspiracy theories, whining, moaning and whatever other nonsense you spew in a radio forum are not going to help solve anything.

G.

4 hours ago, gman1971 said:

@Lscott

And you are right, I certainly don't know how informed or uninformed those people are/were, but do you?

The fact is that some people make fun of people using CCRs (regardless of where, and how they are/were used) but they are using CCRs themselves too... that is the hilarious part.

@MichaelLAX

CCR’s have their place. But I wouldn’t recommend one if you’re depending on it to save your life.

Articles I’ve read the people in the photos likely got the radios more for appearances. It’s part of the “costume” to impress people along with the military type fatigues. Any of them that truly thought they were reliable never tested a sample, bounce one off the cement a few times and get it soaked with rain water, see if it still works. I dropped my BTECH tri-band HT on the floor from a high top table at Twin Peaks just once. The speaker got buggered up. Those cheap radios are fragile.

21 minutes ago, Lscott said:

CCR’s have their place. But I wouldn’t recommend one if you’re depending on it to save your life.

Yes, absolutely.

21 minutes ago, Lscott said:

I dropped my BTECH tri-band HT on the floor from a high top table at Twin Peaks just once. The speaker got buggered up. Those cheap radios are fragile.

That is a similar experience to what I went through with my 2nd Alinco MD5. It didn't survive very long as an EDC radio on my belt.

G.

Apparently your opinion on many issues "is blowing in the wind..."

Your style of discourse makes it difficult for a person like me to attempt to show agreement where appropriate and yet rebut where it is not.

The problem is that you often call me out to go into more detail about something I may have posted and yet...

When you get more information from me, if you disagree you paint it with side issues, like: politics, or worse:

Otherwise, conspiracy theories, whining, moaning and whatever other nonsense you spew in a radio forum are not going to help solve anything.

So, in the future I will attempt to ignore your protestations for more information from me, so I will not fall into your trap once again

2 hours ago, MichaelLAX said:

Apparently your opinion on many issues "is blowing in the wind..."

Your style of discourse makes it difficult for a person like me to attempt to show agreement where appropriate and yet rebut where it is not.

The problem is that you often call me out to go into more detail about something I may have posted and yet...

When you get more information from me, if you disagree you paint it with side issues, like: politics, or worse:

So, in the future I will attempt to ignore your protestations for more information from me, so I will not fall into your trap once again

My opinion about radios is pretty crystal clear, is it not? and which happens to be exactly what this forum is all about, radios and GMRS.

Now, your style of discourse seems (to me) like you just like throwing some "hints" that appear (to me) to be either really bad jokes, or bait, perhaps hoping that someone like me bites so you can then twist their argument(s) against them, something you seem quite good at that...

To me, there was no reason to state that my CCR collection picture was related to the spread of anything, even if it is a joke, its a pretty poor joke, let me tell you. Otherwise its just bait, and choosing a political subject that I know its a very polarizing subject because of what I see at dealing with personnel at work in the real world; also happens to be unrelated to the thread as well. Then posted an unrelated J6 picture on a Baofeng thread, that casually shows a Baofeng... Again, either your taste for jokes is pretty poor, or you are just trying to bait, because just like the spread matter, the J6 subject is also a very polarizing issue as well, and totally uncalled for on a "reduced spurious emissions Baofeng thread". Then, on the Paypal thread that I started just to state a fact, you came and started posting things like "one side jacking up taxes..." again its your opinion on another polarizing subject, which again, for the purpose of the thread, who cares... well I guess you do, but I don't care, and I am sure as heck that a lot of people in the forum don't care either.

You see, that seems to be the problem. I am not looking for your approval, nor your agreement in here, Michael, what you and I believe is not something that your rebuttal, or perhaps your agreement is going to change our opinions on the subject. Proof of what I speak is that even me showing the data that proves CCRs are trash, yet you still buy them... there is nothing I can do, except keep repeating that they are trash.

The subject of CCRs, on the other hand, first off, its related to the forum: its a radio subject, and then, its pretty easy to prove they are junk, and that is my position on the matter. We can discuss radios all day long, but in the end I have 2+ years worth of collected data around multiple sites, using RF RSSI meter, spectrum analyzers and ISOTee test that allows me to be combative and blunt as a brick to call random "opinions, feelings or voodoo magic" total and utter BS. I am sorry if I don't share your warm and fuzzy feelings when holding a GD77 in my hands, but I can't interpret the data in any other way. I also stand behind what I am so vehement about, as I've helped several members in this forum board get started on their Motorola journey, much the same way that some kind souls at Communication Support helped me get started on Motorola equipment when I was a total noob lost in the CCR junk field.

The hope is that if I can convince just one more person to steer clear of the CCR junk field... then mission accomplished.

G.