New model Baofeng appears to be a great improvement

jc1240

For you Baofeng lovers and haters, seems they have a new version for 2021 that is pretty good regarding spurious emissions. It is also Tx locked to the ham bands.

From Dave Casler's most recent live stream, here are the emissions of a UV-5R and the new GT-5R, both at 146.520MHz.

UV-5R (the hourglasses are due to when I snagged the screenshot while he was moving his mouse):

post-3986-0-14528400-1616253685_thumb.jpg

GT-5R:

post-3986-0-40731300-1616253724_thumb.jpg

New video just about the radio:

https://youtu.be/1JyM8oNtoaE

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

LOL, it only took a decade to fix the obvious... not sure how it even got an FCC license in the first place... and sorry if I am skeptical, but its yet to be seen it that radio the guy tested wasn't cherry picked just for the tests.... but if the spurious crap is indeed, fixed, maybe in another decade or so they'll improve the RX section so it doesn't score the worst dynamic sensitivity ever recorded among the 200+ radios I've ISO-tee to date... can't argue with cheap tho.... 

G.

32 minutes ago, gman1971 said:

aside from the piss poor garbage bag UV-5R, is there any other purpose for the picture you might want to share with us? Michael?

What’s the topic of this thread that YOU decided to post YOUR thoughts in?

Oh, right: Baofeng!

I wonder if they were compensated for their “celebrity endorsement?!” ?

My thoughts are clear, CCR = garbage bag... and I will not miss the opportunity to say it... maybe repeating it 1000 times sticks and people stop buying them... that's the hope...

So, with that said, I don't think anyone in this forum who has been around for the past few months is unclear about those thoughts :) ... but now, the J6 picture.... that might have other connotations that perhaps you might want to enlighten us with? political statement.... maybe?

4 hours ago, gman1971 said:

My thoughts are clear, CCR = garbage bag... and I will not miss the opportunity to say it... maybe repeating it 1000 times sticks and people stop buying them... that's the hope...

So, with that said, I don't think anyone in this forum who has been around for the past few months is unclear about those thoughts :) 

Well that's too bad that you feel that way because $27 radios can be a "gateway drug" into the wonders of radio transmission, and in my anecdotal experience here in Southern California, they are!

Then people see the advantages of a more quality and hence more expensive radio and by that time have the knowledge to know what to buy next! ?

4 hours ago, gman1971 said:

... but now, the J6 picture.... that might have other connotations that perhaps you might want to enlighten us with? political statement.... maybe?

No, but it is clear that YOU are dying to tell us what it means to YOU; so please end our suspense! ?

19 minutes ago, axorlov said:

Nope, you posted the pic, so it's you who tell us why. I'm intrigued too.

There you go; sniping at me again: I guess you didn't bother to read my earlier reply:

7 hours ago, MichaelLAX said:

What’s the topic of this thread that YOU decided to post YOUR thoughts in?

Oh, right: Baofeng!

I wonder if they were compensated for their “celebrity endorsement?!” ?

Perhaps you are unaware that: "a picture is worth 1,000 words."

Feel free to give us a few of YOURS about this photo!

2 hours ago, MichaelLAX said:

I wonder what frequency their Baofengs were programmed to on January 6th?

My guess: FRS or MURS; but I pick MURS with better VHS propagation!

My guess is their radios were "programmed" with multiple frequencies. Regardless of their programming, though, I expect most of them were tuned to either FRS or MURS channels (or perhaps both).

12 hours ago, MichaelLAX said:

Well that's too bad that you feel that way because $27 radios can be a "gateway drug" into the wonders of radio transmission, and in my anecdotal experience here in Southern California, they are!

Then people see the advantages of a more quality and hence more expensive radio and by that time have the knowledge to know what to buy next! ?

No, but it is clear that YOU are dying to tell us what it means to YOU; so please end our suspense! ?

Changing subject?... what does the radio being "gateway drug" have to do with my original post, where I stated a fact, not an opinion, that it took the UV-5R short a decade to fix the spurious emissions problem, or is than an opinion? how is that?.... maybe you took offense in the word cheap? projecting? can't argue with cheap...

I still own a vast CCRs collection myself, probably a lot larger than yours (uh oh... measurement context.... love those!!) .... also... I did get interested in radios again thanks to a UV5R knockoff... something that I've also stated time and time again, but you seem to ignore as well. Any reason for that?

The problem is that people are being mislead and encouraged into buying these pieces of garbage radios as their 2nd, 3rd, ... etc... 40th radio... thinking that a more expensive CCR will be better, thus perpetuating the sale of garbage radios.

And coming back to the UV-5R, just because the UV5R doesn't spew harmonics all over the band anymore it doesn't make the radio any better, in fact, it just makes it legal trash now... whereas before it was technically illegal trash.... b/c it would've failed the "Part 15 shall not cause harmful interference, etc"... but hey, its a "gateway drug"

Lastly, regardless of whatever "reading your previous post" might mean to you, and just like axorlov said, YOU were the one who posted the picture in the first place... did you not?

G.

13 hours ago, Sshannon said:

That is just an incredible find: THANK YOU! ?

"Apparently there is a TV channel in use nearby that 477.985 MHz falls within. Was that a deliberate choice?"

50 minutes ago, gman1971 said:

That's right, Wisconsin... where its cold as heck during the winter...

So, I'd take former wife implies you got a new one... so, is the newer one more reLAXed?

:D

G.

Now THAT'S FUNNY! ?

"Fool me once, shame on me; fool me twice: I won't get fooled again!"* -- I'm enjoying my return to bachelor life!

I grew up in Chicago and moved to join my grandparents in Los Angeles when I was 15.  Looking back at it; not sure how I endured those winters! 

*President George W Bush

LOL... yeah, Chicago is cold as heck too... I had a good run in FL (Orlando) for a while... from the Wisconsin Frozen Tundra I miss being outside during the winter... but then, I also remember that I don't miss melting down during the FL summers either... so... CA has a nicer weather, certainly, but with all the tax pillaging and plundering, among other things I won't utter here... it seems like that perfect place to live keeps eluding me, one way or another... :D

ah... yes... the bachelor life was fun while it lasted...  a long time ago...

G.