info required when applying for GMRS license ?

Guest mike

When I apply for my GMRS license, will I be required to provide names of , or other information on the family members which I want to be able to operate under my license ?  Or, can they just operate under my license without being documented at the time of application ?

Hi Mike,

No, you don't need to list the family members on the license. Your immediate family members can use it if you extend permission to them to use the license. They would just use your GMRS callsign when they operate under the authority of your license.

The FCC defines "immediate family members" as the licensee's spouse, children, grandchildren, stepchildren, parents, grandparents, stepparents, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, and in-laws. (see 47 CFR § 95.1705 ( c ) ( 2 ))

You'll need an FRN number to apply.  It's like a "customer number" for the FCC.  Again, you just fill out the online form, and you'll get it.  So, technically, first you get your FRN number, then you can buy the GMRS license paying with your credit card on the FCC website.  There's a great 10 minute video on youtube showing this process.  Super easy, you probably don't even need but it couldn't hurt.

BTW: What's the difference between in-laws and outlaws?  Answer: Outlaws are wanted.

• 1 year later...

It appears the Social Security Number and one's personal address are required.  Is there a way to get the gmrs license without providing the social security number and the address (this does not seem very safe)

34 minutes ago, Guest LLL said:

It appears the Social Security Number and one's personal address are required.  Is there a way to get the gmrs license without providing the social security number and the address (this does not seem very safe)

No, get your FRN and then you don’t need to use your SSN. 

https://apps.fcc.gov/coresWeb/publicHome.do

2 hours ago, Guest LLL said:

You can absolutely use an address other than your home. The only requirement is that it be an address where you can receive mail.

Myself and a number of others use PO boxes, while there's also a number in my area using private mailbox stores as their mailing address.