Wouxun KG-1000 G

WRMG216

25 minutes ago, mbrun said:

These color settings do not affect the screen color like they do on the 805. They are truly just affecting the color of the single front panel LED that is located next to the channel indicator. If I understood correctly, the OP wants to tone down the screen brightness at night.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

Darnit, I was hoping it might have been a translation thing and they really meant the screen.

I've had my Wouxun KG-1000G for a couple weeks, it's an incredible radio.

However, I'm also a little frustrated that the screen can't be dimmed.

I hope a firmware update is released that'll give us the option.

Page 23 of their admin guide mentions "Three Color Selectable Backlight", but no directions on how to change.

Anyone know if the options are available using their software?

PS, here's a shot of it mounted on the passenger side of the console in my 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon.

3D20CD96-9157-44B3-9D08-E4467247B20A_1_105_c.jpeg

12 minutes ago, donmontalvo said:

Page 23 of their admin guide mentions "Three Color Selectable Backlight", but no directions on how to change.

PS, here's a shot of it mounted on the passenger side of the console in my 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon.

I'm going to look for some smoke or tinted plastic that maybe I can jury rig onto it.  I've got mine up in the center stack, staring me in the face at night, lol!

PXL_20211010_154311823.jpg

16 minutes ago, DanW said:

I'm going to look for some smoke or tinted plastic that maybe I can jury rig onto it.  I've got mine up in the center stack, staring me in the face at night, lol!

Ouch, mine is at my side and it is distracting at night.

Have you looked at their programming software to see if there's an option to dim the display?

I suppose if there is, that wouldn't be great, since you won't be able to brighten/dim on the road. #sigh

19 minutes ago, donmontalvo said:

Ouch, mine is at my side and it is distracting at night.

Have you looked at their programming software to see if there's an option to dim the display?

I suppose if there is, that wouldn't be great, since you won't be able to brighten/dim on the road. #sigh

I don't have a Windows laptop, so not yet.  I may see if I can get my brother to connect his to it and see what it offers.  I'll be shocked if there isn't some way to do it.  If not, I'd love to see them do a firmware update that adds it to the menu.  So many cheaper radios have that feature.  

3 minutes ago, DanW said:

I don't have a Windows laptop, so not yet.  I may see if I can get my brother to connect his to it and see what it offers.  I'll be shocked if there isn't some way to do it.  If not, I'd love to see them do a firmware update that adds it to the menu.  So many cheaper radios have that feature.  

NotARubicon adds his name to the display of his KG-935G (not the one he set on fire, I don't think), it's only possible using the software, so fingers crossed.

3D20CD96-9157-44B3-9D08-E4467247B20A_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.8e0c5f7aff0eb4400c77413ca2b2cdd5.jpeg

There is no ability to change the color nor brightness of the display in the manufacturer’s software or via the radio that I have found. I have only confirmed the ability to change the colors of the little LED located beside the channel knob.

I have yet to hear of any firmware updates being offered to update any of model of Wouxun GMRS radios. I too wish that were possible as it would make to possible to remediate short-comings. As best I recall, BTWR said even they have no means to update firmware in a Wouxun radios.

If anyone has new information to share on the subject I would love to hear about it.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

BTW, something to keep an eye on as you evaluate your KG-1000G radios is a changing audio level issue. Since I obtained my radio early this year I have had multiple people report that periodically the audio level will change dramatically during a transmission. Not consistently, but randomly, and seemingly without regard to speaking level or proximity to the mic. It occurs most frequently (but not always) at the beginning of a transmission. As the person transmitting I have not been able to experience this in normal use. However, having recently played with a simplex repeater module connected to the 1000G in my shack I can now confirm that the issue is real. When the issue occurs It sounds like the radio is going into full audio compression and then gradually ramps back up to normal. Very annoying for any listening party.

If anyone else has similar experiences, I would like to hear about them.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2021 at 10:47 AM, donmontalvo said:

On 11/21/2021 at 2:43 PM, mbrun said:

There is no ability to change the color nor brightness of the display in the manufacturer’s software or via the radio that I have found. I have only confirmed the ability to change the colors of the little LED located beside the channel knob.

I have yet to hear of any firmware updates being offered to update any of model of Wouxun GMRS radios. I too wish that were possible as it would make to possible to remediate short-comings. As best I recall, BTWR said even they have no means to update firmware in a Wouxun radios.

If anyone has new information to share on the subject I would love to hear about it.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

My post on page 1 gives the menu numbers to change the back light color, menu #18,19,20.

My post on page 1 gives the menu numbers to change the back light color, menu #18,19,20.

Those menu function have been exercised on my radios. I can confirm definitively that, on my radios, these functions change only the color of the little LED next to the channel knob. They have zero affect on the display backlight color.

I would not be surprised me to learn that some factory firmware update has been made since mine were manufactured. Given that the back color on at least one Wouxun radio I own can be changed, it is quite possible that the hardware is actually capable of it.

I would love to learn if anyone reading this post owns a KG-1000G in which they are able to change the display back color. And if so, what firmware version does the radio have?

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2021 at 11:59 AM, mbrun said:

BTW, something to keep an eye on as you evaluate your KG-1000G radios is a changing audio level issue. Since I obtained my radio early this year I have had multiple people report that periodically the audio level will change dramatically during a transmission. Not consistently, but randomly, and seemingly without regard to speaking level or proximity to the mic. It occurs most frequently (but not always) at the beginning of a transmission. As the person transmitting I have not been able to experience this in normal use. However, having recently played with a simplex repeater module connected to the 1000G in my shack I can now confirm that the issue is real. When the issue occurs It sounds like the radio is going into full audio compression and then gradually ramps back up to normal. Very annoying for any listening party.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

I have what may be a similar issue, but I have intermittent drop outs of audio and RF output. I have tried wiggling the mic plug in the jack, and then I wedged it into place, and that may help...it is had to tell since the problem is intermittent, BTWR said they were sending a replacement mic incase a loose wire/contact is causing the problem. That was about one month ago, and I am still waiting for the mic. I really like the radio otherwise.

• 1 month later...
On 11/21/2021 at 12:59 PM, mbrun said:

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

I have this exact problem on my KG-1000G.  My buddy who I talk with a lot on it says it happens all the time.  I recently ordered another KG-1000G for a vehicle and will swap them out to see if there is any difference.  My buddy also has one that was bought around the same time as my first one, and his doesn't seem to do it except at the very beginning of a TX.  Mine does it then, but then will randomly do it again during the TX.  Just another datapoint.

I have this exact problem on my KG-1000G.  My buddy who I talk with a lot on it says it happens all the time.  I recently ordered another KG-1000G for a vehicle and will swap them out to see if there is any difference.  My buddy also has one that was bought around the same time as my first one, and his doesn't seem to do it except at the very beginning of a TX.  Mine does it then, but then will randomly do it again during the TX.  Just another datapoint.

I have heard it many times myself now. I can see why people listening to my radio complain about it. The issue occurs mostly at the beginning of Tx, but like you it does occur seemingly random during Tx as well. It definitely sounds like an internally maladjusted AGC in the outbound audio path of the radio. Adjustments for that are not accessible to the consumer, so there appears no chance of tuning it out. I expect I will be replacing the radio with another brand/model when something better comes along, as I expect zero support on the issue from Wouxun.

Please let me know if your new radio has the issue as well.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...