Wouxun KG-1000 G

WRMG216

I finally got my hands on the Wouxun KG-1000G to replace my Midland MXT 400 as my Mobile. The removable face plate is great! You can put the box under the back seat and have the faceplate up front. So far so good. Went to check my swr and power and saw I only was sending about 20 watts with an swr of 1.4. The radio has three power levels and I checked them. The display says “H” so I should be putting out closer to 50 watts. Well, looks like I have to disassemble everything and return it costing even more. I am hoping someone here van maybe shed some light on the subject.  Just for info.. My Midland had an swr of 1.2 and about 35 watts. The antenna is the same. Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

I finally got my hands on the Wouxun KG-1000G to replace my Midland MXT 400 as my Mobile. The removable face plate is great! You can put the box under the back seat and have the faceplate up front. So far so good. Went to check my swr and power and saw I only was sending about 20 watts with an swr of 1.4. The radio has three power levels and I checked them. The display says “H” so I should be putting out closer to 50 watts. Well, looks like I have to disassemble everything and return it costing even more. I am hoping someone here van maybe shed some light on the subject.  Just for info.. My Midland had an swr of 1.2 and about 35 watts. The antenna is the same. Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Did you use a dummy load instead of your antenna when checking your power? If not, odds are good the power number you are getting from your SWR meter is inaccurate. I personally have experienced power readings that have been off by as much as 43% when using an antenna versus a proper dummy load.

I own a 1000G also and have previously tested it with power meter and dummy load. I found the radio to be within 5% of its rated output. In fact, each of the Wouxun radios I own have tested to within 5% of their rated output when properly tested.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

Ok I think I got the answer. Let me get a hold of a dummy load and test again. I am using a MFJ-894 SWR meter for the test. The meter works as I have used it on other radios with self-test functions that show the same readings. I will get a dummy load and have a look. Thanks!

• 3 months later...
I just got my license and have been researching what radio to get. This seems to be what I want. Unfortunately I have been unable to locate one, everyone is "out of stock" and the Wouxun website does not even show this as one of their products. Any help would be appreciated.
Bill
WRNW698

I recommend just placing you order if that is the radio you want. They come back in stock frequently but get snatched up quickly. The only place to buy that model is still BTWR. Not sure how long they have an exclusive on that model.

BTW, I own that radio for use in my home and do like it.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

I ordered one from btwr and it is backordered.  Does anyone know how long it usually takes for them to get them in stock?  I've got a trip in 3 weeks and will have to cancel and order a different radio if it doesn't arrive in time to properly install it.

I recommend giving BTWR a call. They should be able to give you a pretty good idea where you stand in the queue.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, DanW said:

Anyone know if the screen backlight can be dimmed?  It's just too bright for my liking at night.  I've gone through the manual many times and cannot find anything about adjusting it.

Man, I can't find anything about brightness either, only thing I found was color, maybe try a different color that is easier on your eyes.

These color settings do not affect the screen color like they do on the 805. They are truly just affecting the color of the single front panel LED that is located next to the channel indicator. If I understood correctly, the OP wants to tone down the screen brightness at night.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM