Callsign visibility

wayoverthere

Posting here as an extension of this post in the Private Discussion section.  Other members have noted that many callsigns seem to be visible to all site visitors, even those not logged in (confirmed this just now in a different browser). 

I'll note that I had previously set my profile options to display my GMRS call as "ask", and it shows as such when not logged in; however, I went looking for the option now, and I don't see it in either the privacy options, account options or profile options. I do see that I can (and have) set my ham call to "ask" (it's an open text field), but nothing for the GMRS sign.

Did something change in the site settings?

9 minutes ago, wayoverthere said:

Posting here as an extension of this post in the Private Discussion section.  Other members have noted that many callsigns seem to be visible to all site visitors, even those not logged in (confirmed this just now in a different browser). 

I'll note that I had previously set my profile options to display my GMRS call as "ask", and it shows as such when not logged in; however, I went looking for the option now, and I don't see it in either the privacy options, account options or profile options. I do see that I can (and have) set my ham call to "ask" (it's an open text field), but nothing for the GMRS sign.

Did something change in the site settings?

I can't say if something has changed as I am fairly new, however, I did confirm on Chrome OS that it is visible while not logged in as a user. I hope that helps. 

Not sure if this will be the official spot for this discussion since more visibility or not, but this will be enough to make me leave.  It is not hard to Google a screen name, and most people use the same name in several forums.  I don't want my entire online identify linked to somewhere my address and name can be accessed.

3 minutes ago, SkylinesSuck said:

Not sure if this will be the official spot for this discussion since more visibility or not, but this will be enough to make me leave.  It is not hard to Google a screen name, and most people use the same name in several forums.  I don't want my entire online identify linked to somewhere my address and name can be accessed.

1,000% agree. If forum owner cannot fix problem with exposure of PII (Personal Identification Information) in forum software I will leave too.

1 hour ago, SkylinesSuck said:

Yeah, I saw the potential of a link between username and call sign (which has a direct link to public info) so deliberately used a username I'm not using outside this radio stuff.

1 hour ago, MozartMan said:

1,000% agree. If forum owner cannot fix problem with exposure of PII (Personal Identification Information) in forum software I will leave too.

Realistically, while the forum is added a bit of a link between the two, the information issue is really with FCC and the amount of information available there, though that's something I've never been entirely okay with, just grudgingly accept as part of the rules.

I disagree.  By holding people accountable to their real identity, it helps reduce trolling and abusive posts.  IMHO, social networks which allow for fully anonymity (like Twitter) are overflowing cesspools of harassments and hate.

At the end of the day, we are all required to identify ourselves when we transmit, and the FCC publicizes our information.  If you want to communicate with some level of anonymity, then GMRS is not for you.