wanting to get into GMRS and HAM radio need some help

Guest leo k

Guest leo k

I am a disabled vet and I'm interested in GMRS and HAM radio. I recently got my gmrs license and I am working on getting my HAM

I was given a UV-5X baofeng radio  recently and I just want to see what it's all about. 25 yrs ago I had a friend that was into ham radio which got me started in it but due to life was not able to follow through

so now that I've got more time I want to try again

I am in ne ohio

The nice thing about both GMRS and HAM is you can put as much effort into it as you want and enjoy radio. I got a HAM license years and years ago and upgraded to General. I recently got into GMRS because my family can get involved and don't have to take the test. There is not much traffic on GMRS where I live. I still listen to 2m and 70cm via local repeaters. I also still listen to SW. Enjoy whatever part of the radio world you choose to use. These days there are a lot of good resources on the web.

Sean

Oh, since you indicated you’re in NE Ohio you might want to try and go to a large regional Ham Radio flea market next month. If you’re looking for new or used equipment you will likely find something there.

I typically travel there with some friends up in the Detroit area to the swap. There is a large outdoor market area, and an indoor area where most of the commercial vendors are located. 

https://www.findlayradioclub.org/hamfest

seconding @Lscott that it's never too late.  the fact of the license covering family is a great aspect of gmrs, making it easier to share the interest with the younger generations, giving that "connection" (both literal and figurative), and perhaps planting the seed of their future involvement in the radio hobby.  likewise, a ton of directions you can go under the general heading of 'ham', be it morse, data, experimentation, or just the basic 2m/70cm voice modes.

there's a ton of knowledge and help to be had here (for both services).

So far the only radio I have come across that will work Ham 2 meters, 70 cm and GMRS is the Anytone AT-779UV a/k/a Radioddity DB-20G.

Amazon has the Anytone for $99 and the Radioddity for $129.

I have the Anytone in my car as my first ever mobile radio and I am really enjoying being able to scan all my favorite repeaters on all 3 bands at once and jump into a conversation, as desired.

It operates so efficiently in the shack connected to my rooftop Comet tri-band vertical that I am thinking about buying another one for the shack.  It is hitting repeaters on 2 meters and 70 cm that I am unable to hit with my Yaesu FT-857d, when connected to the same Comet!

5 hours ago, WRBU527 said:

So far the only radio I have come across that will work Ham 2 meters, 70 cm and GMRS is the Anytone AT-7 79UV a/k/a Radioddity DB-20G.

Amazon has the Anytone for $99 and the Radioddity for $129.

I have the Anytone in my car as my first ever mobile radio and I am really enjoying being able to scan all my favorite repeaters on all 3 bands at once and jump into a conversation, as desired.

It operates so efficiently in the shack connected to my rooftop Comet tri-band vertical that I am thinking about buying another one for the shack.  It is hitting repeaters on 2 meters and 70 cm that I am unable to hit with my Yaesu FT-857d, when connected to the same Comet!

The TYT-8600 will also "work" as well. However you have to "unlock" the frequency range through the software. It comes by default locked down to just the amateur bands. There is a hidden keyboard command using the programming software to allow changing the TX and RX frequency limits. This is NOT documented. I had to get the procedure directly from TYT.

https://www.tyt888.com/?mod=product_show&id=39

There are two FCC ID's for this radio. One is for general Ham use while the other is for a special version just for GMRS. I'm guessing the only real difference is the firmware.

POD-GMRS25

POD25W-WP

I have one. The RX isn't that good on the radio, selectivity and overload issues. If you live in an area without strong transmitters this radio would likely be OK. Anyway what do you expect from a $130 CCR mobile unit. I wanted something cheap I could throw in a vehicle and plug into the 10 amp accessory outlet.  There is a water proof model which would be of interest to off road and trail users for a bit more money.

https://store2.rlham.com/shop/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=72969&osCsid=3m9th4o282aljgm1qrmid3not1

2 hours ago, Lscott said:

The TYT-8600 will also "work" as well. However you have to "unlock" the frequency range through the software. It comes by default locked down to just the amateur bands. There is a hidden keyboard command using the programming software to allow changing the TX and RX frequency limits. This is NOT documented. I had to get the procedure directly from TYT...

I have one. The RX isn't that good on the radio, selectivity and overload issues. If you live in an area without strong transmitters this radio would likely be OK. Anyway what do you expect from a $130 CCR mobile unit. I wanted something cheap I could throw in a vehicle and plug into the 10 amp accessory outlet...

I am just amazed how good the reception and transmission range of my Anytone AT-799UV retail at $99 (and I got it discounted from Let's Get Ready as a PAPA System member): 

I am able to communicate with a very interesting crowd on 446.86 in Santa Clarita to the Northwest and the Keller Peak 2 meter repeater from my Comet on my roof!.

The Santa Clarita repeater was actually once a GMRS repeater than he converter to Ham 70 cm and the owner is amazed that I can get in.

I may have to buy another Anytone to stop bringing it in and out my car (my first mobile rig in 60 years of being a Ham!)

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with OldRadioGuy, start by reaching out to the club and go to the lunch meetings.  My 12 yo grand daughter "GD" and I started with GMRS, the some fellow GMRS people we meet who where Hams as well suggested that we get our Ham Ticket.  So I asked around for a Ham coach from the club which they call Elmers.  Most suggestions was to study online which we did for a month and we took test and back in May we past.  It was great time with my 12 yo GD study buddy, we even bonded more.  So I put vanity plates with GD call sign and she on the air every Sunday night Net.  So if you want go find one of your kids/Grand kids to be a study buddy.

Enjoy the journey,

MacJack