This is an introduction to the KG-935G more IMHO positioning within my radios inventory.

MacJack

1 hour ago, SteveW said:

I'm testing my newly-arrived KG-935G now.  So far, I've encountered two issues:

A minor issue is that the FM broadcast radio implementation is poor:  unless I am missing something, the only way you can use it is to do a channel scan, which only picks up a couple of very strong stations.  There is no way to manually tune to a station frequency.  I haven't tried the software yet, and I am hoping it has a way to store whatever FM frequency you wish.

A major issue is the GMRS channel scan.  I don't know if this is a firmware bug or if I have a defective radio:  When running the channel scan, it will briefly indicate a full-bars signal reception on several channels before the scan continues.  When I open the squelch and scan, those signals are from a VHF NOAA weather channel.  I'd appreciate it if y'all can test this.

And oh yes, the terrible Chinese fonts.  They're ubiquitous on a lot of Chinese products.  I just hate 'em.

The software makes programming FM stations very easy. There is a specific menu page for this. You just input the frequencies to one of the 20 memory slots. After that, while you're in FM mode, press MENU and you'll see 'Radio-MEM.' Press MENU again and you will see 'RECALL.' Now you have accessed those 20 memory slots. You can just use the frequency knob to scroll through the memory slots. When you're done press EXIT.

Yeah, scanning with 'WX-ALERT' set to ON is very noisy. As already mentioned, just set WX-ALERT to OFF and don't look back. I forgot about that until I read this thread.

I agree fonts could be better, but, the display is a HUGE improvement over the dot-matrix and mono-color LED displays on most other radios. I always use BLACK-2 in the THEME MENU setting.

PXL_20.jpg

Thanks for your reply.

I actually spent more time reading the manual after I posted here, and then I also downloaded and used the software.  The sequence of key-presses and up-down keys to operate the FM radio from the keypad, if you haven't already programmed in some stations, is the ultimate secret handshake.  Yeah, it works, but you'll never remember how you did it a month from now.  However, the software is an improvement, in that you can very easily store stations.

Thanks for the tip about WX-ALERT.  It does make WX-ALERT useless, if it interferes with scanning, but I have other radios that do a fine job of working with the NOAA alert system, so that's ok.  It's at least better than the Retevis or BaoFeng radios' NOAA abilities.

You all are making me very impatient! I never got an order confirmation email on mine, so I called last week and spoke to someone who said they did in fact receive my order, and a few more shipments were going out thurs/friday. Unfortunately I don't believe mine was one of them!

I'm taking the technician license exam tomorrow on a whim this week so I almost wished I'd got the parent model, the KG-UV8H, but I believe that one is locked down to not go higher than 450MHz. 

Yes nice looking.  Looks like it all Zello/EchoLink where as the B1 has a real RF radio in UHF/VHF/DMR plus BrandMeister Network with internal hotspot.  I use Zello/EchoLink on my iPhone all the time.

On 10/1/2021 at 12:48 PM, MichaelLAX said:

For a cost of 80% less than the cost of the RFinder B1 (Less than $200 and for which I have no experience with), check out this Network Radio:

Inrico T320 4g Internet Mobile Radio WiFi Bluetooth Radio Unlocked GSM Compatible with Zello Real PTT Android 7.0 Network Radio

I learned about it listening to the Thursday Night Net on the 700 repeater of @OffRoaderXlast night (through Zello).  Actually the Net was cancelled due to the Moderator's vacation (really?!?  What kind of dedication is that! hahahaha ?) and those of us frustrated listeners created our own Rogue Net in its place.

He mentioned it routinely takes his T-Mobile SIMM card to allow full cell service use, as well.

28 minutes ago, MacJack said:

Yes nice looking.  Looks like it all Zello/EchoLink where as the B1 has a real RF radio in UHF/VHF/DMR plus BrandMeister Network with internal hotspot.  I use Zello/EchoLink on my iPhone all the time.

No wonder the RFinder is so expensive!

On 10/2/2021 at 10:35 PM, BKmetzWRKZ843 said:

The software makes programming FM stations very easy. There is a specific menu page for this. You just input the frequencies to one of the 20 memory slots. After that, while you're in FM mode, press MENU and you'll see 'Radio-MEM.' Press MENU again and you will see 'RECALL.' Now you have accessed those 20 memory slots. You can just use the frequency knob to scroll through the memory slots. When you're done press EXIT.

Yeah, scanning with 'WX-ALERT' set to ON is very noisy. As already mentioned, just set WX-ALERT to OFF and don't look back. I forgot about that until I read this thread.

I agree fonts could be better, but, the display is a HUGE improvement over the dot-matrix and mono-color LED displays on most other radios. I always use BLACK-2 in the THEME MENU setting.

PXL_20.jpg

Yes, thanks; after I returned from a trip that interrupted my new radio play time, I explored the Wouxun software and programmed my local FM broadcast stations.  I also programmed some local 2m/70cm ham repeaters, and reception on the ham bands is more sensitive and clearer than my Baofeng BF-F8HP.  I also added my local NOAA channel, and again, the Wouxun's receive sensitivity on that frequency is better than both my Retevis RT76P and Baofeng radios. 

The included antenna is excellent.  I don't expect that changing antennas would be worth it.

Yep, that antenna is great, and I want it on my other two. Curious how it's built—says it's tuned for 462-467 but it's longer than the dual-band that was on my Btech, and the SignalStick I cut down slightly for that range. Wonder if it's an end-fed half-wavelength, but I'm not going to tear it open to find out! The antenna on the 805 is the shortest, and the 905's isn't much longer, but more a length I'd expect for a run of the mill 1/4 wavelength.

Nice and springy too. 

On 10/3/2021 at 12:04 PM, pcradio said:

Don't despair. You can carry up to four radios (to cover all the bands you need) by wearing two of these.

radio.jpg

As I mentioned in another thread, I *did* get the 8H, but I am passing on the tactical vest! 

And an edit-- @pcradio, just noticed that the harness is from True North. Used to live next door to their facility; nice group of people who let us hang out for a while when my apartment had a fire. They make some cool and durable stuff here in Seattle and a buddy of mine that does summer wildfire fighting (wild-firefighting?) swears by them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2021 at 12:15 PM, TOM47 said:

VERY TRUE.  WISH BTWR WOULD OFFER THAT ANTENNA AS A INDIVIDUAL ITEM, COULD NOT FIND IT!

Just get the Smiley SuperStick IV 465MHz telescoping antenna.  Stock number 46510, for $25.50 plus shipping.  It's awesome.  You will need to specify a SMA female or male adapter, depending on your radio; the Baofeng and Wouxon radios need a SMA female adapter; the Retevis radios need a SMA male adapter.  And no, I am not worried about bending the telescoping sections; it is easy to carry it in the retracted position and then just extend it if you need the extra range while in use.

On 10/19/2021 at 5:25 PM, SteveW said:

You will need to specify a SMA female or male adapter, depending on your radio; the Baofeng and Wouxon radios need a SMA female adapter; the Retevis radios need a SMA male adapter.

For Baofeng and Wouxon radios, the antenna type required depends on the radio. Both of these brands have models requiring differing types of antennas. For example, my Wouxon KG-UV9G requires an SMA Male antenna, as does (I believe) the Baofeng UV-5G GMRS radio.

• 8 months later...
On 9/6/2021 at 4:04 PM, OffRoaderX said:

Using CHRIP Build 20210830 I'm not able to get it to work with my 935G using the KG-816 (or any) config - Even though I have to use the horrible Wouxun software, its still my favorite radio.

Just your old post.

I am getting a UV-935G shipped this week after watching your YouTube review and positive comments regarding the radio. 

Have you found a work around for programming the radio using Chirp? 

From comments I have read, the Wouxun software is alot to be desired but does work with a bit of effort.

Like on my Baofeng radios I do like the ability to group, copy and paste frequencies as new channels are discovered and dropped them in the corresponding groups.

Enjoying your videos!

22 hours ago, WRTJ905 said:

Just your old post.

I am getting a UV-935G shipped this week after watching your YouTube review and positive comments regarding the radio. 

Have you found a work around for programming the radio using Chirp? 

From comments I have read, the Wouxun software is alot to be desired but does work with a bit of effort.

Like on my Baofeng radios I do like the ability to group, copy and paste frequencies as new channels are discovered and dropped them in the corresponding groups.

Enjoying your videos!

I had one of the first KG-935G and used CHiRP and made a backup img file if I screwed it up like I did on my 805...  While my local repeater was down I offered to RT Systems if they would like my 935 to write software.  They took me up and within 2 weeks we have this great software.  https://www.rtsystemsinc.com/RPS-KG935G-Programming-Software-and-USB-K4Y-cable-brfor-the-Wouxun-KG-935G_p_1993.html

CHIRP only works for those programers who have a 935 to play with and sometimes it work and not.  O true confession... on my 805 I blow away all the channels and it bricked my radio so that is why I offer a CHIRP img file to fix it because I had two 805 and had one radio to make the file....

935 is a great radio and I monitor my HAM channels.

Hope this helps.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

January 7, 2023

All:

I just got my KG935 and started programming with the Wouxun software.  The issue I am now having is I can not figure out how to enter my local public safety (LE & Fire) frequencies.  In the software I am entering the freq info from RadioReference but once programmed to the radio, I am not able to hear any communication.  I am sure some of the freq details is what I am not getting correct.

My area is West Virginia, Barbour County, Philippi.  Not sure what else I need to enter into the software.

Thoughts?

Sorry for restarting an old thread.

edspilot

• 1 month later...

I have a KG-935 also. Seems like a well built solid radio. I use it as my personal radio and hook it up to a base antenna when home. I also bought a KG-905 basically for testing purposes. I have used FRS radios for years for summer campground activities, but they gobble up AA batteries and don't always make the trip. I like the fact that the KG-905 is simple to use for radio dummies. I can set it, lock it and there is not much someone can do to mess it up. I'll get more KG905's and get the extra batteries for the KG-935 since they are heavier and always have a set on charge all weekend.