Flying with Ham radio or GMRS HTs

lnelson007

Good Question! If I were to answer this, I would strongly suggest NO, only because of possible interference with cockpit and other technology onboard, just a guess. I do believe nowadays the internals of newer planes are like faraday cages anyway. Someone will be along shortly.. just my .02

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/radio

Yes, you can carry it on your carry-on bag. Make sure you carry a copy of your FCC License (GMRS/HA). Also know the restrictions on batteries you can take, and the maximum amp-hours you are permitted to carry (including the total in your phone, power bank, radio batteries, etc.).

10 hours ago, lnelson007 said:

Is it ok these days to get on a plane with ham radios? Obviously they would not be on but I would like to take them in my carryon.

Yes. There are some caveats. As a few others pointed out be careful with the batteries. Read the guide lines at this link.

https://www.faa.gov/hazmat/packsafe/resources/media/Airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf

Now if you want to operate your radio onboard you need to request permission from the airline(s) prior to boarding. Usually by email or snall mail. I also believe you will need the captains permission as well.  I have a buddy do this a few times and the above is in general what he did. I don't have the specifics so you're going to have to make some inquiries.

http://www.arrl.org/news/view/passengers-now-must-be-able-to-power-up-some-electronics-during-tsa-screenings

Fun fact, pilots are required to have a "restricted radiotelephone license", it's free and it never expires. I'm a corporate pilot and new to GMRS, thinking of carrying my HT with me to mess with on my down time. Airlines are a different story though, they don't like anything they don't recognize, keep it off and hidden and no one will care. 

On 11/11/2021 at 2:10 AM, phottomatt said:

Fun fact, pilots are required to have a "restricted radiotelephone license", it's free and it never expires. 

I have one of them. When I went to work as one of the first civilian dispatchers for the Rochester NY Police Department, they required us to get them. 

It’s interesting that an RP license holder is authorized to operate, repair, and maintain several types of radio stations, no specific tech requirements. However most employers require a GROL. 

5 hours ago, SteveC7010 said:

I have one of them. When I went to work as one of the first civilian dispatchers for the Rochester NY Police Department, they required us to get them. 

It’s interesting that an RP license holder is authorized to operate, repair, and maintain several types of radio stations, no specific tech requirements. However most employers require a GROL. 

Whoa, I grew up Rochester. My best friend was a police officer back in the late 90s, he then went to fly choppers for the state police. Small world. 

Lithium Ion batteries are the big issue with aircraft and radio equipment. Some aircraft incidents have been a direct result of high density battery failure, sometimes built into the aircraft, or some device brought on board. As for use, even though emitters are tested by aircraft manufacturers, there is often a combination of legal issues and technology impacts that drive policy for use while aboard aircraft. For those that order radio batteries in quantity, you may notice large labels that mention ground shipping only, or cargo aircraft only.

That being said, I have carried everything from a Motorola Talkabout FRS/GMRS handheld, Garmin Rino GPS/radio, and many XTS/APX series radios on board aircraft. Often times TSA just looks at me like I am some amateur enthusiast as I might have a radio better than the one on their hip. The only odd look and pull aside was when I had a Harris Unity XG-100P when they first came out, and a TSA agent asked questions, like when he would be getting one.

• 4 weeks later...