Jeep Jamboree Updates for GMRS users

gortex2

21 minutes ago, MichaelLAX said:

No one here acts like its OK: we're just tired about hearing all the preaching to the choir about the issue.

Exactly.  We can educate and advise, but incessantly nagging does nothing but make the nagger and everyone around that person miserable.  

18 minutes ago, BoxCar said:

No, it won't be in the database as no action was taken. An investigation is just that, someone looking into something. You may find emails talking about investigations,  but those require a FOIA petition to access.

Correct. My buddy found out about it when reading the local news paper where the party involved used the interference to justify switching to a digital radio system. He showed me the news clipping. And no I'm not going to provide any details.

7 minutes ago, Lscott said:

Some of my radios I've purchased new. Most were found at local Ham swaps or eBay auctions.

Exactly: Long before there were CCRs generating unlicensed users the monthly TRW swap meet sales would generate their own pool of unlicensed users on the Ham bands!

It's really old news.

Just now, MichaelLAX said:

Exactly: Long before there were CCRs generating unlicensed users the monthly TRW swap meet sales would generate their own pool of unlicensed users on the Ham bands!

Yeah. If you have cash or a CC they'll sell you a radio. At least a few swaps I've been too, that give away radios for door prizes, will substitute a gift certificate equal to the cost of the radio if the winner is not licensed. At least on the way home they won't be talking to the local fire department, for example, on the new CCR they have no idea how to use other that turn it on and press the big button on the side to see what happens.

12 minutes ago, Lscott said:

At least on the way home they won't be talking to the local fire department, for example, on the new CCR they have no idea how to use other that turn it on and press the big button on the side to see what happens.

I thought I read somewhere that all the new Baofengs are "locked" in that they will not transmit outside of the bands for which they are sold (e.g., ham or gmrs). 

Is this really a "thing" or just an issue that you cannot resist posting about?!?

Maybe we should just get all Jeeps declared illegal! ?

26 minutes ago, MichaelLAX said:

I thought I read somewhere that all the new Baofengs are "locked" in that they will not transmit outside of the bands for which they are sold (e.g., ham or gmrs). 

Is this really a "thing" or just an issue that you cannot resist posting about?!?

Maybe we should just get all Jeeps declared illegal! ?

For every lock there is a key.

42 minutes ago, MichaelLAX said:

If I can find this in less than 30 seconds I doubt anyone else will will have a problem either.

https://fieldradio.org/unlock-baofeng-uv-5r-frequencies/

52 minutes ago, Lscott said:

If I can find this in less than 30 seconds I doubt anyone else will will have a problem either.

https://fieldradio.org/unlock-baofeng-uv-5r-frequencies/

Except that your "off the cuff" comment was:

1 hour ago, Lscott said:

At least on the way home they won't be talking to the local fire department, for example, on the new CCR they have no idea how to use other that turn it on and press the big button on the side to see what happens. (emphasis added)

5 hours ago, BoxCar said:

No, it won't be in the database as no action was taken. An investigation is just that, someone looking into something. You may find emails talking about investigations,  but those require a FOIA petition to access.

I was just calling BS in a nice way without coining right out and calling BS ...

12 hours ago, Lscott said:

He later found out the FCC was looking for the source of the unlicensed operations and interference. He realized he was lucky he quit when he did, had no idea about the complaints made, and got legal.

If he'd been "active" on the Amateur bands, it may have been (former) Official Observer/(now) Volunteer Monitors https://www.arrl.org/news/arrl-thanks-official-observers-as-volunteer-monitor-program-is-set-to-debut that detected him, and forwarded the information to the FCC. You may have gotten him to stop before the FCC itself could verify the behavior.

3 hours ago, Lscott said:

So what's you major malfunction with that?

I think we've beaten the point to death: The Culprits you reference are probably not going to join a radio forum and be persuaded by your continued cries for licensing.

But feel free to have the last word on the topic...

Don't have to join a forum. If they don't have a license and using GMRS equipment don't talk to them. Enough people do that they will either quit using the radios or get licensed when they run out of people to talk too. Either way it's a win.

I got my GMRS license to be able to talk to friends and family with GMRS. I didn’t sign up to become the radio police.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/4/2022 at 9:28 AM, Lscott said:

The part that's sad is when people act like it's OK. That's how non compliance starts and grows. It can simply start with those that are licensed simply refusing to communicate with those who are not and using GMRS radios.

The reasons why people don't bother, they think nobody gives a crap, nothing is going to happen me, and finally just being lazy and cheap.

I'm guilty too. specially when in a group and no one uses their call sign (CS).   We usually have an intro going to trails early in the morn.  Names are mentioned etc.  Would actually be a wonderful time to start the effort and use their CS just to stay in practice (and legal).  Kinda like running through intersections in the woods and not looking both ways for cross-traffic.  It becomes a relaxed atmosphere and no one pays it any mine...  Yes there are those that do not have a license too.  A cool shoulder might be enough to push them in the right direction.

And why can't JJAMUSA require it as a part of their entry requirements?  I'll ask.  I think I know what the answer is all ready.

9 hours ago, H8SPVMT said:

And why can't JJAMUSA require it as a part of their entry requirements?  

I asked on my last one a couple weeks ago. The reason the dont require it is as we all know a portable doesn't need a license. The only ones technically that need it are on mobiles. Granted 75% of the jeeps have mobiles but thats the reasoning. The do post on the site that a license is required. 

https://jeepjamboreeusa.com/gmrs/

DO I NEED A LICENSE?

Because Jeep® Jamboree requires GMRS, it is important to note that the Federal Communications Commission does require a license to operate these radios. 

That being said, it is super easy to get your license on the FCC website. The license covers you and your family for 10 years. After finishing up the application process, most people receive their license within 48 hours. 

As of April 19, 2022, the FCC just slashed the license cost in half, bringing it to $35 rather than $70. 

10 hours ago, gortex2 said:

I asked on my last one a couple weeks ago. The reason the dont require it is as we all know a portable doesn't need a license. The only ones technically that need it are on mobiles. Granted 75% of the jeeps have mobiles but thats the reasoning. The do post on the site that a license is required.

If the HT is capable of exceeding 2W output or is capable of accessing repeaters, it WILL require a license. The 2017 FCC reorganization granted FRS radios up to 2W output (likely ERP, so fixed antenna to prevent adding a gain antenna -- except for the 0.5W ERP 467MHz channels). Radios sold after that reorganization must specify either FRS or GMRS -- no more bubble-pack FRS/GMRS radios.

On 11/1/2022 at 6:11 PM, gortex2 said:

All the midland handhelds meet that requirement. Thats the issue. The ones using baojunk of various models dont care. Hence the issue.

And the bottom line is: It IS up to the individual using the equipment to get the license.  And many just either don't know or care not to know.  The same was the issue with the CB radios...

The best option we have is to not converse with them on the air.  It's your choice.

On 11/1/2022 at 6:11 PM, gortex2 said:

All the midland handhelds meet that requirement. Thats the issue. The ones using baojunk of various models dont care. Hence the issue.

My pre-reorg (decade old) GXT1050s have three power levels -- H approaches 5W. With the reorg it is now classified as GMRS (my Motorola bubble packs, similar era, meet the power requirement, but has repeater ability, so also is now classed as GMRS)