Jeep Jamboree Updates for GMRS users

gortex2

Saw this in a registration package today. Was happy they are talking about it this year. Last year they just said get a radio. This year it does say a license is required. See if it affects anything. Last year at one of the events I asked a guide who said he had no license. I tried to explain the rules to him but that not something we can fix anytime soon. Sadly the more popular GMRS becomes I see license' going away just like CB. 

image.png.855eb68c7b0ecd1d642a957c75ee7f6b.png

…Sadly the more popular GMRS becomes I see license' going away just like CB. 
image.png.855eb68c7b0ecd1d642a957c75ee7f6b.png

And when the license goes away, I predict civility and adherence to rules go away too as anonymity is officially sanctioned. While there are those that use GMRS now that ignore the rules, removing the license opens a flood gate I hope does not get opened.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

I agree. Had a license for many years, before I even got ham. I use GMRS more than ham also. I remember my father having a CB license and when I got my first CB there was no license at that point. Now its a mess. Sadly GMRS is a mess in some areas already. Another topic for anther day. 

Just happy JJ finally put it in writing for folks. 

5 hours ago, mbrun said:

And when the license goes away, I predict civility and adherence to rules go away too as anonymity is officially sanctioned. While there are those that use GMRS now that ignore the rules, removing the license opens a flood gate I hope does not get opened.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

Well, in a way they already have with FRS and upped the allowed power to 2 watts on most channels.

When you start hearing digital communications pop up and no meaning full enforcement then you know it's headed down hill. By my work place I monitor FRS and several local business frequencies on the cheap BTECH tribander in my office. I did catch some brief DMR traffic on channel 17 or 18 a few times. You know it was DMR due to the rapid pulsing of digital noise you hear. I did bring in my D878UV once and decoded it just to verify it was DMR. No FRS radio can do DMR so it had to be either a commercial grade radio or a Ham rig programmed for FRS/GMRS. No idea who or where in the local area it originated from. 

I'm expecting to hear more DMR stuff and wait to see if the FCC steps in. I haven't heard it in a while so maybe something happened.

• 9 months later...

So being I just got back from another JJ event and have another this month thought I'd share my experience. Friday group had 3 mobiles and all rest were portables. All radios were midland 275 mobiles and a mix match of bubble packs with one CCR mobile. I didn't see a model number but it came from rugged radios. For 90% of the comms all was good. Had one guy who sounded horrible all day. At the end of the day realized it was the RR radio and was set for wideband and everyone else was narrow. We had 15 of us in the group. Saturday everyone had either a 275 or a bubble pack. I used my Motorola T265 as did one of the guides while they were out of the jeep (as I did also). We had a decent group of about 15 again. Did scan some other channels from the event on my 275 but had my T265 locked on the channel for my trail. 

I didn't ask everyone about licenses but the couple folks I asked had no clue what I was talking. I plan to take another case of the 265's I have on the next event in case anyone needs one. JJ had a box of the midlands for folks who forgot their radio. No CB was used at all.

34 minutes ago, gortex2 said:

I didn't ask everyone about licenses but the couple folks I asked had no clue what I was talking.

I know a lot of people hate the licensing process and think there should not be any, but the FCC keeps big business and people with more money than Joe Q. User from bullying their way into radio spectrum that individual private users access.  The only way the FCC can track exactly how popular the bands are and how many users are actually using it, is via the licensing process.  If there isn't enough traceable activity, the FCC will sell the space to commercial users and we will lose our allocations. 

I only mention this because, I think if we run into people that are unlicensed in a services that they should have one, we should explain this situation to them in encourage them to spend the little bit of effort and funds so we can all continue to enjoy the services over the coming years.

11 minutes ago, MichaelLAX said:

What distinguishes Midland radios from CCRs (besides their much higher price)?

One is a CCR, the other is an ECR.  LOL

How was the Ozarks (assume) this year?  Been doing the KY Cumberland's for years now.

Comms have been much clearer for us too since using the GMRS.

JJAM doesn't follow the rules either and focus on better comms  for the the overall event.  

I get along well with the MXT-400.  I do have some Uniden HH I purchased too many years ago don't even remember buying them.  I'll take these too with me as well this year.  IIRC we all used FRS channels anyway for the trail comms and don't know what the guides were using overall.

13 hours ago, marcspaz said:

I only mention this because, I think if we run into people that are unlicensed in a services that they should have one, we should explain this situation to them in encourage them to spend the little bit of effort and funds so we can all continue to enjoy the services over the coming years.

I agree to a point. We used channel 7 and 21 for the trails I was on. Most folks had bubble pack that requires no license. I did talk to one guy last year about the license stuff and he brushed me off. This year I asked him again (same guy) about it and he said he had his ham license and didn't need a GMRS. I tried to explain to him the difference but he didn't want to discuss. The issue with GMRS use is the guys who buy mobiles and either dont think they need or dont care about the license. I did ask the "sales" lady at the event that was selling mobiles if she told folks they need a license. She said the paperwork says you do. So I think their take on it is its Midlands deal and not theirs. This is my issue with them merging the services together. IN the end as said GMRS/FRS is a much better option for trail use than CB was. I still run a CB for other events.

Greenbrier is in a few weeks. Hopefully my transfer case is back together in time. 

5 hours ago, gortex2 said:

I agree to a point. We used channel 7 and 21 for the trails I was on.

7 is one of the original (pre-FRS) interstitials, allowed up to 5W ERP

21 is one of the eight original MAIN GMRS channels, allowed up to 50W output.

Channels 8-14 were originally FRS only, 0.5W ERP NFM-only; now allowed to GMRS since the 2017 reorganization (with same limitations). Original FRS was 1-7/8-14 with both groups limited to 0.5W NFM; it was the "FRS/GMRS" bubble packs that provided higher power on 1-7 (and also 15-22) that complicated the system.

7 hours ago, gortex2 said:

I agree to a point. We used channel 7 and 21 for the trails I was on. Most folks had bubble pack that requires no license. I did talk to one guy last year about the license stuff and he brushed me off. This year I asked him again (same guy) about it and he said he had his ham license and didn't need a GMRS. I tried to explain to him the difference but he didn't want to discuss. The issue with GMRS use is the guys who buy mobiles and either dont think they need or dont care about the license. I did ask the "sales" lady at the event that was selling mobiles if she told folks they need a license. She said the paperwork says you do. So I think their take on it is its Midlands deal and not theirs. This is my issue with them merging the services together. IN the end as said GMRS/FRS is a much better option for trail use than CB was. I still run a CB for other events.

So much to unpack here:

"Most folks had bubble packs that requires no license." -- End of discussion: even if they have a Ham license.

"I talked to one guy last year... The issue with GMRS use is the guys who buy mobiles and either don't think they need or don't care about the license." -- Is he one of these guys?!?  If he is using a bubble pack FRS no need for the debate.  If he is using the mobile, how will paying $35 for a no-test GMRS license instill any qualifications for the ethical use of GMRS that he does or does not have now?!?

At least a Ham has studied operational use of radios.

Why not let these guys enjoy themselves in the middle of nowhere, where they are not causing any disruptions, and if they are, paying $35 for a license will not teach them how not to disrupt! 

3 minutes ago, Lscott said:

So what else are people going to excuse because the rules are inconvenient?

Pointless replies to Forum posts!

He said he brought it up to the guy TWO YEARS IN A ROW and he is not interested in getting a GMRS license.

Why don't you go next year and have a chat with him, too!

And this is why I don't argue with folks over licenses. The hams all know better than most in regards to GMRS. Its really no different than the hunters that use 2m channels while chasing the dogs. I try to educate when I can. And yes he was the one using the crappy mobile that was distorted as heck and basically the only guy we couldn't understand all day. So the bubble pack rule doesn't apply on his Rugged Radio. After his "excuse" of why he doesn't need a license I went and opened a beer by the campfire. Your never going to get everyone to get a license as much as you say we should. Unless it comes in a box with a "mail your check with this form" it wont happen. 

18 hours ago, MichaelLAX said:

Why don't you go next year and have a chat with him, too!

The part that's sad is when people act like it's OK. That's how non compliance starts and grows. It can simply start with those that are licensed simply refusing to communicate with those who are not and using GMRS radios.

I had a buddy that thought the same thing messing around with his UV-5R unlicensed. I finally got him to get his Ham Tech license and then he got his GMRS some months back on his own. He later found out the FCC was looking for the source of the unlicensed operations and interference. He realized he was lucky he quit when he did, had no idea about the complaints made, and got legal. The reasons why people don't bother, they think nobody gives a crap, nothing is going to happen me, and finally just being lazy and cheap.

2 hours ago, Lscott said:

He later found out the FCC was looking for the source of the unlicensed operations and interference. He realized he was lucky he quit when he did, had no idea about the complaints made, and got legal.

Cool story!  So we should be able to find that in the FCC enforcement database and read up on the details - got a link? 
Also curious how he "found out" ... 

3 hours ago, Lscott said:

The part that's sad is when people act like it's OK. That's how non compliance starts and grows. It can simply start with those that are licensed simply refusing to communicate with those who are not and using GMRS radios.

No one here acts like its OK: we're just tired about hearing all the preaching to the choir about the issue.

45 minutes ago, OffRoaderX said:

Cool story!  So we should be able to find that in the FCC enforcement database and read up on the details - got a link? 
Also curious how he "found out" ... 

No, it won't be in the database as no action was taken. An investigation is just that, someone looking into something. You may find emails talking about investigations,  but those require a FOIA petition to access.