What radios do people use for MURS?

• 6 months later...
33 minutes ago, mitzvah said:

I went cheap and got a Retevis RB38V and learn a lesson. Out of the box the radio is a paper weight. You need to buy a programming cable and get the program off of the company website. 

Most radios are like that. Nothing new.

• 1 month later...

Motorola Spirit VHF with 2 watts on "green dot" and "blue dot", selected via toggle switch

Motorola Radius with two watts on one channel of the latter two

Motorola Radius with two channels selected by a rotary switch, and support for CTCSS unlike the two-channel Spirit units

Dakota Alert handhelds, which feel a lot jankier than the Motos, but take AA batteries.  I feed them Eneloop 2000 mAh NiMH LSD cells.  They also interoperate with Dakoda Alert's proprietary signaling and perimeter sensors, which I haven't had opportunity to fuck with yet.

Anytone TERMN-8R

And I listen to wal-mart on ham radios whenever I'm bored and in the vicinity.

Don't really use MURS -- have three radios. More likely, if the family gathers, to hand out GMRS (have 5 assorted HTs, not counting some flaky pre-reorganization bubble packs that are now GMRS [one has repeater channels, other has three power levels, and I'm sure H is >2W]) and have them operate under my license ("immediate family" clause in the regulations).

MURS: a pair of, essentially, bubble-pack. No makers name on it, just a model on the FCC label and that just reads "MURS 2". Only thing I find using the FCC ID is: Columbia Telecommunications Group. Even the user manual has no name. FCC accepted in 2001.

BTech MURS-V1 (which claims "15 channels" -- basically three sets of five configured with different CTCSS/DCS tones -- though one can modify the tones. Haven't checked if one can duplicate frequencies within a set...

• 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I know this is an old thread, but just in case someone is still reading it:

- there are a LOT of MURS radios out there now. Radioddity has a good one that goes for around $30

- as with any 2 watt vhf radio, any discussion of range is meaningless. The range of a MURS HT is somewhere between 1/10 of a mile and 10-12 miles. It all depends on a multitude of factors. But my personal experience is that the rubber ducky antennas are good for about 1-2 miles over water, up 3 miles with external mag mount antennas. 
- being able to use external mag mount antennas makes MURS far better than FRS when it comes to vehicle to vehicle communication. It is great for maintaining group comms when traveling in a “pack”.