Just heard very strong signal on GMRS repeater 19 (Northern Virginia)

SemperFidelity

VERY strong and clear signal. At first I thought it might be the one in Ellicott City MD, but then the main guy said it was in Gainesville Va/Bull Run.

He also said he has hit it as far south as Fredericksburg.

As I listened more there was even a faint contact from BALTIMORE.

I am in Sterling , Va and was listening on a KG-805G.

I did not see it listed on the map.

MG

From ehat I can tell there is a repeater on 19 in nova. Alexandria I think. Haven't been able to get the repeater I'd, apparently its been running for a long time. I catch it college park, MD. Lots of picket fencing in the truck. Much stronger in Rockville Md.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, SemperFidelity said:

I did not see it listed on the map.

Unfortunately, (or fortunately, depending on your point of view) there is no "one stop shop" for all GMRS repeater information. What you'll find on this site is the best collection of data that I've found, but it certainly isn't all-inclusive. In addition, if a repeater isn't listed on this site, yet seems to be actively used, it can be very difficult to find out anything about it, as may be the case with the repeater you've identified.

There is no requirement that GMRS repeater information be made public, and many repeater owners prefer not to publish that information, but rather, wish to keep it private so they can have a private repeater system of their own. Granted, they don't have exclusive use of the frequency, but by keeping their repeater information unpublished, they may very well be keeping people from trying to hack into and use their repeaters.

There are both advantages and disadvantages to publishing your repeater information. If you do so, you inform others about your repeater. This can be helpful to inform other repeater owners about the frequency pair and PL/DCS code you're using, so they can use a different pair and/or code. At the same time, it invites others to use your repeater, whether they have permission or not. Some repeater owners want to keep their repeater for private (family) use, while others welcome anyone and everyone (who is properly licensed) to use their repeater.

6 hours ago, WyoJoe said:

Some repeater owners want to keep their repeater for private (family) use, while others welcome anyone and everyone (who is properly licensed) to use their repeater.

For the most part those self-labled "private repeaters" are very low profile "garage repeaters" and have a very tiny footprint anyway... Very few people can afford to pay monthly rent for tower space.