FRS Mobile?

5 hours ago, WRXP381 said:

So get one of the many radios that does use chirp.  Loads of options. 

Agree WRXP381, just overwhelmed with all the options out there? Also installing into a Jeep so limited space, although want to use as a dual unit with the capability of mobile and home base. 

10 hours ago, koni13 said:

Agree WRXP381, just overwhelmed with all the options out there? Also installing into a Jeep so limited space, although want to use as a dual unit with the capability of mobile and home base. 

Every mobile radio can be used as a mobile or base unit.  If used as a base, you just need a decent power supply.  For the mobile mount of the DB20G, you may want to spend a few $ on an external speaker, depending on mounting location and road noise.

Appreciate all the insight and laughing with all the comments provided, loving the GMRS world. Just received my Radioditty DB20-G mobile radio, along with my Nagoya UT-72G antenna also DHT cable SMA female to UHF SO-239 female connector. 

12 hours ago, koni13 said:

Appreciate all the insight and laughing with all the comments provided, loving the GMRS world. Just received my Radioditty DB20-G mobile radio, along with my Nagoya UT-72G antenna also DHT cable SMA female to UHF SO-239 female connector. 

I see that Amazon's listing of that antenna includes a SMA to 239 adapter cable, for $35.  Was that your experience.

On 5/5/2024 at 9:19 AM, WRYS709 said:

I see that Amazon's listing of that antenna includes a SMA to 239 adapter cable, for $35.  Was that your experience.

It sure was, connecting today after work in hopes can transmit on stations and repeaters. 

4 hours ago, koni13 said:

Sure will WRYS709, by the way how does the $20 Dual Band Mag Mount work out.

I like it; it does not go too far above the top of my vehicle's roof, so it only hits my garage door lightly twice.

But it seems that yours with a coil with have better mobile range.

On 5/4/2024 at 7:17 PM, OffRoaderX said:

Wow, that sounds serious!  What happens if I disassemble my FRS radio and attach it to a larger, removable antenna? 

I've seen your hands on those videos, I'm not so sure SOC radio disassembly would be your forte?

9 minutes ago, Davichko5650 said:

Never built an AR-15, but could take apart and reassemble  my M16A1 with bare hands. Seems to work with my AR's here in the Civilian world as well.

Haha funny statement  since they are the exact same. 

One of our club members has been considering how to make a FRS base station for his grandson. We talked about taking the guts of a FRS radio and installing everything in a 3D printed body to keep the antenna permanently attached. His grandson is about 7 years old and loves talking on the radio with his grandpa.

As far as assembling an AR. I use nothing but simple hand tool for the lower while sitting at my desk or on the couch. I only use a vice and torque wrench for attaching the barrel and muzzle device on the upper. Otherwise I hand assemble the rest of the upper at my desk too.

@Davichko5650 your post made me smile remembering all the gags we would pull on each other when I was in the Army. 😆

17 minutes ago, WRQC527 said:

There's always this if you want to go the expedient route for about a hundred bucks.

Yes that is an option as is using a regular GMRS mobile programed with CHIRP to keep it set on low power, etc. No one in that family has a GMRS license and they are not interested in getting one. Grampa has been licensed for amateur radio since the 60's and will get his grandson licensed when he gets a little older. I will pass on the information though.

1 hour ago, WRYZ926 said:

Yes that is an option as is using a regular GMRS mobile programed with CHIRP to keep it set on low power, etc. No one in that family has a GMRS license and they are not interested in getting one. Grampa has been licensed for amateur radio since the 60's and will get his grandson licensed when he gets a little older. I will pass on the information though.

Except for the fact that FRS is a system where the license is provided by rule.  If you make a DIY FRS radio, no matter what wattage you set it for it becomes unlicensed and all users are violating Part 95E.

Maybe you don't care, in which case, what we answer is irrelevant.

If you want FRS, buy FRS.  If you use GMRS, get a license.

1 hour ago, WRYZ926 said:

Just have grandpa get a gmrs license then grand son can use it. Buy any base station you want and use it.  No need for all the junk building and FRS radio that is so limited in power.  Heck you could even do an unlocked ham and only put in 1 frequency 

12 minutes ago, WRYS709 said:

Except for the fact that FRS is a system where the license is provided by rule.  If you make a DIY FRS radio, no matter what wattage you set it for it becomes unlicensed and all users are violating Part 95E.

Maybe you don't care, in which case, what we answer is irrelevant.

If you want FRS, but FRS.  If you use GMRS, get a license.

And that is why this project hasn't gone beyond talking about it. Yes all involved are aware of the regulations. And this is why it was discussed using a legal FRS radio inside a 3D printed case to make it look like a mobile/base station.