FRS Mobile?

This topic about FRS mobiles not FRS / GMRS, but Family Radio Service Mobiles I guess the individual who was asking if any exist. I believe another individual has answered their question. As far as newer FRS mobile, I haven't seen any. I doubt that manufactures, such as Midland or Motorola will produce one. I take that back Midland may, but the FCC has to approve remove able antennas, which I don't see that happening anytime soon. 

44 minutes ago, Adamdaj said:

This topic about FRS mobiles not FRS / GMRS, but Family Radio Service Mobiles I guess the individual who was asking if any exist. I believe another individual has answered their question. As far as newer FRS mobile, I haven't seen any. I doubt that manufactures, such as Midland or Motorola will produce one. I take that back Midland may, but the FCC has to approve remove able antennas, which I don't see that happening anytime soon. 

You may want to look a the first reply in the thread. You’re right about not seeing it anytime soon but the reason is it’s not allowed. FRS is hand held only as well as a fixed antenna. 

58 minutes ago, axorlov said:

Posts #5 and #6 in this very thread. Contraption seems to satisfy the FRS requirements.

Perhaps it does, at the very least it did back in the day. Complete with all 14 FRS channels this baby can be yours from eBay for $39.99. Just remember the radio is in the antenna so maybe don’t get this and put it on your car if you’re in a warm sunny climate. As a novelty it’s a tempting purchase. 
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-RadioShack-21-1850-14-Channel-Mobile-Marine-Personal-Radio-OPEN-BOX-Shrink-/144665973719?pageci=9091b0ac-2f59-4fe2-acbf-54bcce57b3d8&redirect=mobile

image.thumb.jpeg.1587e048b4bbe64616a3a810cbf648fc.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e6250e36aa72d6d8e44737a536e48cde.jpeg

10 hours ago, WRUU653 said:

Perhaps it does, at the very least it did back in the day. Complete with all 14 FRS channels this baby can be yours from eBay for $39.99. Just remember the radio is in the antenna so maybe don’t get this and put it on your car if you’re in a warm sunny climate. As a novelty it’s a tempting purchase. 
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-RadioShack-21-1850-14-Channel-Mobile-Marine-Personal-Radio-OPEN-BOX-Shrink-/144665973719?pageci=9091b0ac-2f59-4fe2-acbf-54bcce57b3d8&redirect=mobile

image.thumb.jpeg.1587e048b4bbe64616a3a810cbf648fc.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e6250e36aa72d6d8e44737a536e48cde.jpeg

And at 0.5 watts, which was the power limit at the time on FRS, not terribly useful.

20 hours ago, WRUU653 said:

You may want to look a the first reply in the thread. You’re right about not seeing it anytime soon but the reason is it’s not allowed. FRS is hand held only as well as a fixed antenna. 

I guess I wasn't reading the entire post, which I thought I understood what I read. I apologize for putting my 2 cents without reading the entire post. 

43 minutes ago, Adamdaj said:

I guess I wasn't reading the entire post, which I thought I understood what I read. I apologize for putting my 2 cents without reading the entire post. 

No apology necessary, I just thought I’d point out the answer was there. Not like I’ve never missed something in a post ?

18 hours ago, WRUU653 said:

I had one of these ‘back in the day’, and they were very effective, including a most sensitive receiver. The radio itself survived years living on top of my Land Rover in the desert sun, but all the exposed wiring finally broke down in the heat and that was the end.

On 4/22/2023 at 4:09 PM, WRUU653 said:

No apology necessary, I just thought I’d point out the answer was there. Not like I’ve never missed something in a post ?

I guess I shouldn't apologize for being too quick on the comments. You can say that folks from Philadelphia Pennsylvania don't always look before they leap. Ha Ha!  Seriously, I sometimes don't read the entire post or I confused about what I have read.  But I do try to stay on subject / topic. 

On 4/22/2023 at 2:23 PM, WRUU653 said:

You might have to wire it in to the 12 battery but it would be perfect for this vehicle ?$199.99 on Amazon. Get the grandkids started early ?81HK22bTGmS._AC_SX679_.jpg

I remember back in late 1970's early 80's, I had POWERWHEELS motorcycle, but I did not appreciate, because it did not have a workable 2 way radio. POWERWHEELS could have put a 49mhz radio with a portable for Mom Dad or Older siblings to communicate as they were on road.

• 1 year later...

SO let me see if I have this right the Radioditty DB20-G is strictly a GMRS radio. Although receives FRS channels, but you won't be able to transmit on those channels? Based on the FCC regulations and also the radio won't transmit, yet can monitor the FRS frequencies. However all other communications GMRS, repeater capabilities are accessible on the unit. 

3 minutes ago, koni13 said:

SO let me see if I have this right the Radioditty DB20-G is strictly a GMRS radio. Although receives FRS channels, but you won't be able to transmit on those channels? Based on the FCC regulations and also the radio won't transmit, yet can monitor the FRS frequencies. However all other communications GMRS, repeater capabilities are accessible on the unit. 

FRS and GMRS channels are the same except for the 467 MHz frequencies that you transmit to a repeater using GMRS. If you have a GMRS radio and license you can transmit at higher power on some of them. 

Steve, thanks for the quick reply, yes I do have a GMRS license. I'm new to this and have seen reviews on the Radioditty DB20-G, however still confused as to can I transmit also on the FRS channels or solely monitor despite having a GMRS license. Ask as the radio is listed as a GMRS radio, any input is greatly appreciated. Already own handhelds which there are no limitations as are dual. Seeking the radio mentioned as an additional setup for mobile and or home base station and ensuring as with other radios can receive and transmit via both FRS and GMRS. 

9 minutes ago, koni13 said:

Steve, thanks for the quick reply, yes I do have a GMRS license. I'm new to this and have seen reviews on the Radioditty DB20-G, however still confused as to can I transmit also on the FRS channels or solely monitor despite having a GMRS license. Ask as the radio is listed as a GMRS radio, any input is greatly appreciated. Already own handhelds which there are no limitations as are dual. Seeking the radio mentioned as an additional setup for mobile and or home base station and ensuring as with other radios can receive and transmit via both FRS and GMRS. 

Yes, the regulations state that you can use a GMRS radio to communicate with FRS radios. Both services use the same frequencies. Either service can transmit to the other.

6 hours ago, koni13 said:

Let me clarify this a little.  There are 22 FRS frequencies established by FCC regulations. Modern certified FRS radios can transmit on all of them.  Those frequencies are grouped into three groups: 1-7, 8-14, and 15-22.  The frequencies established for those channels are not sequential.

The two groups with channels 1-7 and 15-22 are limited to 2 watts ERP (effective radiated power).

But channels 8-14 are limited to 1/2 watt ERP.

All of that is laid out in the FRS regulations here: https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-47/chapter-I/subchapter-D/part-95/subpart-B

GMRS regulations allocate those same 22 frequencies for use by GMRS radios and add 8 more channels which handheld and mobile GMRS radios may use to transmit through repeaters. Those eight channels are referred to in regulations as the 467 MHz Main channels. So, the groups are channels 1-7, called the 462 MHz Interstitial channels; channels 8-14, called the 467 MHz interstitial channels; channels 15-22, called the 462 MHz Main channels; and finally the eight repeater channels which the FCC calls the 467 MHz Main channels, but some manufacturers refer to as 23-30 while others call RP15-RP22 or something similar.

The GMRS regulations limit mobile (including handheld portables), repeaters, and base stations to 50 watts on the Main 462 and 467 MHz frequencies, but on the two Interstitial groups, output power is limited. On the Interstitial 462 MHz channels (FRS 1-7) GMRS radios are limited to 5 watts ERP. On the Interstitial 467 MHz channels (FRS 8-14) GMRS radios have the same 1/2 watt ERP limit as FRS. Furthermore, for GMRS, only handheld portable units may transmit on the Interstitial 467 MHz, so base and mobile GMRS radios are officially prohibited from transmitting on 8-14.  Various radios handle that differently, but that’s the regulation.

However, by regulation, FRS and GMRS radios are permitted to communicate with each other on those 22 channels which are shared between the two services. That’s clearly established in 95.531(c) in the FRS regulations and 95.1731 in the GMRS regulations.

Here’s a link to the GMRS regulations: https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-47/chapter-I/subchapter-D/part-95/subpart-E

I hope this helps.