Recommend sub $60 radio

Guest Ferro

Guest Ferro

I need a couple radios for my family to stay in contact when we go camping. I have two motorola T200s that are disappointing and dropping out of range too quickly. 

Currently looking at the following radios:

Btech GWRS-V1

Radioditty GM-30

Is there a better option available for me? Do one of these stand out in terms of range and ease of use? I'd prefer something that can be charged via USB or 12V DC, but that isn't a dealbreaker. 

I'd recommend a used Vertex, Kenwood, or Motorola  commercial radio.  Plenty of choices under $100 - and they have resale value to boot. Many online sellers will program the radios for you to the frequencies/codes of your choice.

Vehicular chargers from Impact like the DC-1 allow you to plug into a cigarette lighter or hard wire a mounted charger pocket.

Guest Ferro
3 hours ago, MacJack said:

Keep an eye out for deals coming up at this site... Great firm to do business with and they stand behind what they sell.  FYI some new products are coming out and some great GMRS radios will be reduced....  

https://www.buytwowayradios.com/consumer/gmrs-radios.html?tw_radio_type=734

Thank you for the advice. Do you know details for what I should be looking for?

Guest Ferro
3 hours ago, Radioguy7268 said:

I'd recommend a used Vertex, Kenwood, or Motorola  commercial radio.  Plenty of choices under $100 - and they have resale value to boot. Many online sellers will program the radios for you to the frequencies/codes of your choice.

Vehicular chargers from Impact like the DC-1 allow you to plug into a cigarette lighter or hard wire a mounted charger pocket.

What model numbers should I be looking for? Is the a common online marketplace where those used radios are sold?

I bought a Radiodditty GM-30, it was a bundled kit with a DB20G mobile. It works ok for GMRS, but also has some little issues being a cheap radio. One is that even with external power applied, the LCD display dims slightly on transmit. It also came with a programming cable that required some searching for drivers. But, for a cheap radio it does work. 

+1 on commercial radio though. There are many UHF handhelds out there for $60 or less, Kenwoods, Icoms, etc. I sometimes use Motorola EX500's and EX600-XLS radios for GMRS use. they can both be had for about this price point, but you need the programming cable and software. That is cost prohibitive to anyone that does not already have that. 

For someone that really wants to stay below that price point all inclusive, I just tell them to buy a Motorola TalkAbout radio, or even the DeWalt ones at Home Depot. They work, but have less/or no ability to program them via computer.

Kind of depends on what is important to you. You would need to read through more than a few threads on here to get the gist of what people's favorites are. I could list a few of mine, but that doesn't mean they're going to be what suits you.

For small, simple, cheap, and with easy to acquire software, it's hard to beat the Vertex VX-231/261. They'll put out an honest 4.5 watts and can do either Wideband 25 KHz or narrowband 12.5 on a per channel basis.

If you have to ask where to look, you're probably not familiar with all the tricks and traps of Ebay. So I'd say to go take a look at used-radios.com  The products and prices there are fair, and they will program what they sell.

11 hours ago, Radioguy7268 said:

So I'd say to go take a look at used-radios.com

Great source of radios for amateur and pro use. Use them often for cheaper radios that will be used in a commercial environment. Have six XPR7550e UHF radios that just came from them, San Mateo trade ins that they re-cased, look like new. However, they left the Capacity Plus programming in them, as they know I do my own programming.....had to do a recovery on them to set to factory default. 

Great source, and as you said, will program for you when you buy a radio if needed. Has great customer service, and I have purchased about 300 radios for corporate use through them, but only one for personal use.

On 3/29/2022 at 1:11 PM, Guest Ferro said:

I need a couple radios for my family to stay in contact when we go camping. I have two motorola T200s that are disappointing and dropping out of range too quickly. 

Currently looking at the following radios:

Btech GWRS-V1

Radioditty GM-30

Is there a better option available for me? Do one of these stand out in terms of range and ease of use? I'd prefer something that can be charged via USB or 12V DC, but that isn't a dealbreaker. 

I would bet those two, and most other new radios in your price range, have the same hardware inside. It basicly comes down to features you like.

Charger type and waterproof rating for instance.

On 3/30/2022 at 7:02 PM, Radioguy7268 said:

Vertex VX-231/261

Had some UHF Vertex VX-261's myself, and they were very rugged little radios. They were cast off from a corporation that was standardizing on radio models and these were the odd model out for them. I did not need more radios, but will not turn down a gift.....and in turn they went to new amateur radio Technician's. One mentioned using them for GMRS use as well as a couple of local repeaters....and accessories were readily available. There were some wired remote speaker/mics with some of them as well. Reminded me of some of the Vertex amateur radios made with the heavy metal chassis, which seem to last forever, even when dropped many times. Great suggestion for an economical radio.

• 1 month later...

I just purchased 4 Retevis RB27's for our family from Amazon for $135.  They are available for different prices depending on the number of radios you purchase.  They don't have too many buttons, software programmable, and in 4 days of ownership mine has already passed the drop test.  I wish there were more characters available for text labels, but that is just my personal preference.

Eric

The GMRS V2 from Btech just came out. I believe it’s $69. Just a tad over your $60 desired limit. First gmrs-only radio I bought and really like it. It’s Chirp programmable. Programming via the keyboard is pretty easy after you give it a shot or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk