Radioddity DB25g issues

WRPE755

I just ordered a Radioddity DB25g off of Amazon, and after doing so started hearing about a batch of bad units, which do not allow for the programming of addition repeater channels. Has anyone noted or heard of such issues? According to reviews one is supposed to be able additional repeater channels (yes, I know that just means differing CTSS codes, not actual channels) up to the limit of open memory slots, which total 200. This capability is why I ordered the radio!

Yes, I know 2 people that got 'bad' DB25G radios.  IIRC they could not program them correctly but I dont remember exactly so I txt'd one of them to confirm. In both cases they sent them back and had them replaced with ones that actually work.  This was a few months ago so I would hope/guess that they are no longer shipping bad units.

Edit/Update:  Turns out it was 3 people that got bad units, and the issue was as you described, not being able to additional repeater channels and also not being able to do a factory reset.  All got replacement units that worked, but it was a PITA.  Have not been able to confirm if bad units are still being shipped.

Edited by OffRoaderX

1 hour ago, WRPE755 said:

TOM47, if you don’t mind, what issues did you have? I only have 30 days to return it, and it would be nice to know what to look for!

CAN'T REALLY TPPE BUT ONE TURNED INTO A BRICK ANOTHER STOPPED ACCEPTING SOFTWARE CHANGES FORGOT THE THIRD . HAD OTHER SMALL PROBLEMS,ALL THIS DURING FEBRUARY. NO SUCH PROBLEMS WITH A NUMBER OF DB-20'S I BOUGHT SET UP AND GAVE TO FRIENDS.

My only issues with the DB20-G:

1) It's not CHIRP compatible and it's software does not import, so you must type out all of your channels.  My advice: leave space between different categories of channels for later growth and easy insertion; 

2) It does not scan for tones; and

3) a 50 watt model would be great! ?

That being said: I have one in my EV and the other in my shack; both opened up to transmit on 2 meters, 70 cms, and MURS as well as GMRS.

On 4/21/2022 at 8:51 AM, MichaelLAX said:

My only issues with the DB20-G:

1) It's not CHIRP compatible and it's software does not import, so you must type out all of your channels.  My advice: leave space between different categories of channels for later growth and easy insertion; 

2) It does not scan for tones; and

3) a 50 watt model would be great! ?

That being said: I have one in my EV and the other in my shack; both opened up to transmit on 2 meters, 70 cms, and MURS as well as GMRS.

As for number 2, it does not scan for tones automatically. But, you can manually scan for tones. If you have a RX signal and you go into the menu for RX CTS or DCS, you can manually click through and it will break squelch once you hit the tone. Not ideal, but it does work. 

On 4/22/2022 at 10:38 AM, donniefitz2 said:

As for number 2, it does not scan for tones automatically. But, you can manually scan for tones. If you have a RX signal and you go into the menu for RX CTS or DCS, you can manually click through and it will break squelch once you hit the tone. Not ideal, but it does work. 

I suppose that workaround is true for any radio.

For me purchasing a $30 HT with tone scanning solved that problem!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I have the DB-25G and have had 0 issues with it, using it that is. There are some things I've noticed about it, I know I'm going to get flack/wrong answers, BUT, for my radio, the channels 8-14 don't show up period (even using CHIRP to Program them into their respective slots, the radio simply WON'T allow those channels to be added back in). I KNOW THEY ARE LOW POWER!! I KNOW WE "CAN'T" TRANSMIT ON THEM. That's not the issue, I'm wondering is there are other DB-25G users out there that are able to have those SPECIFIC Channels show up WITHOUT "adding" them on to the end of the Programs. See attached picture. My programing will NOT allow for those channels to be added. The other issue I had with mine is that the NOAA channels weren't included, I had to manually add them, not that its such a big deal, I've just been told before that: "they are already programmed..." aside from those 2 issues, I love my DB-25G and again, 0 issues with it. 

Screenshot (8).png

On 4/20/2022 at 10:57 AM, WRPE755 said:

TOM47, if you don’t mind, what issues did you have? I only have 30 days to return it, and it would be nice to know what to look for!

I NO LONGER REMEMBER BUT ALL WERE VERY SERIOUS AND PREVENTED USE.  BOUGHT THEM FOR GIFTS AS THE DB20'S I GAVE OUT WORKED SO WELL.  SORRY FOR LATE RESPONSE.

3 hours ago, WRPC600 said:

I have the DB-25G and have had 0 issues with it, using it that is. There are some things I've noticed about it, I know I'm going to get flack/wrong answers, BUT, for my radio, the channels 8-14 don't show up period (even using CHIRP to Program them into their respective slots, the radio simply WON'T allow those channels to be added back in). I KNOW THEY ARE LOW POWER!! I KNOW WE "CAN'T" TRANSMIT ON THEM. That's not the issue, I'm wondering is there are other DB-25G users out there that are able to have those SPECIFIC Channels show up WITHOUT "adding" them on to the end of the Programs. See attached picture. My programing will NOT allow for those channels to be added. The other issue I had with mine is that the NOAA channels weren't included, I had to manually add them, not that its such a big deal, I've just been told before that: "they are already programmed..." aside from those 2 issues, I love my DB-25G and again, 0 issues with it.

Ever consider that the radio may, somehow, not even have those memory slots? That is, the firmware may have something like "if channel# >14, memory# = channel# - 7"

11 hours ago, gortex2 said:

If they are included as RX only people would be on here asking why they can't transmit on them. None of the midland MTX mobiles have them either. Its not just this radio. 

That makes sense, including what everyone else has said. I wondered why my HT had them, but not the mobile. Again, makes a lot of sense. 

• 1 year later...

A little late to these comments. Just got a couple DB-25G radios. They program OK with CHIRP. Channels 8-14 are present as RX only and cannot be changed. Programming not very intuitive. One nice (for me) feature over the DB-20 is the Quad-Watch, ability to monitor four channels at once. Having a bank or group function would be nice as I travel a lot and the ability to put additional repeaters in groups for different areas would be useful. The scan is kind of slow compared to most radios these days. The manual is just shy of worthless. After watching a couple YouTube videos I finally got it set up how I like it. The WX channels are way up at the end of the list (190-199) but are not marked to skip in scan by default, so you have to go in and mark them skip if you want to scan, which was a bit annoying. There is no resume delay when scanning, so if it stops on someone talking, it resumes as soon as they stop, if you have a lot of channels programmed, it will take a few seconds to get back to that channel so you will miss part of the reply.

So far, so good. It meets my particular needs.

Michael