Wouxun KG-UV9GX

MarkAG

I have one right here on my desk.. It's a nice upgrade the the UV9G.. The release has been delayed due to supply chain/shipping issues, but it should be available soon (my GUESS is 30-60 days, but this is only a guess)..

Some new stuff on the UV9Gx:

• theme able color schemes
  • much brighter LED flashlight
  • stiffer knobs
  • can receive down to 219Mhz
  • more power control settings for better battery life
  • a priority channel button, pre-set to the official highway channel, CH19
  • more pre-programmed frequenicies
  • and most important a ROGER BEEP

.................affiliate link below..

Oops.. sorry.. bad habit.

Some of the early UV9GPro and the UV9GLite had Roger beeps, but IIRC, the bulk of the UV9GPro units do not have a Roger Beep.. Due to the outcry of customers from around the world, they added it back for the UV9GX.

Mid power is now 2watts, high power is still 5watts.. I dont remember what low power is, but its the same as the the UV9GPro.

I'm only telling you this because YOU are my favorite user here at MyGMRS ...

• 4 weeks later...
I have one right here on my desk.. It's a nice upgrade the the UV9G.. The release has been delayed due to supply chain/shipping issues, but it should be available soon (my GUESS is 30-60 days, but this is only a guess)..
Some new stuff on the UV9Gx:
  • theme able color schemes
  • much brighter LED flashlight
  • stiffer knobs
  • can receive down to 219Mhz
  • more power control settings for better battery life
  • a priority channel button, pre-set to the official highway channel, CH19
  • more pre-programmed frequenicies
  • and most important a ROGER BEEP
.................affiliate link below..
Oops.. sorry.. bad habit.

Ugggh, I thought the GMRS travel channel was 20?

• 3 months later...
On 5/26/2022 at 1:12 AM, flashover52 said:

Channel 20, .675, had been the FCC regulated Emergency/Traveller Assistance frequency back when a GMRS license specified two of the 8 main channels.

Channel 19 had been a common CB road channel (and 9 is still considered an emergency channel)

On 5/25/2022 at 10:12 PM, flashover52 said:

It is, and the previous poster has some incorrect info. The UV9GX comes with the Priority Channel set to GMRS Ch 28, the Travel Channel repeater. :)

Also, there are no new battery saving features over the UV9G PRO and the new color screens aren't thimble, but rather 3 new fixed (yellow, white or red on a dark background) schemes. :) The power levels are also tweaked from the UV9G PRO and are close to what the UV9G LITE had way back when.

1 hour ago, BSRMark said:

It is, and the previous poster has some incorrect info. The UV9GX comes with the Priority Channel set to GMRS Ch 28, the Travel Channel repeater. :)

Back in the day that I referenced, GMRS didn't go by channel numbers (as any authorized frequency could be assigned -- by a radio shop/dealer -- to any of the two channel slots in that class of radio), hence my inclusion of the kHz portion of the frequency, which was how one commonly referred to the authorized frequency programmed into the radio. Those radios typically had a switch or button to toggle between repeater and simplex. There was no requirement that only repeaters were usable for emergency.

My mention of channel 20 was just to indicate where the .675 first appears in the "modern" consolidated channel listing. On my Midland MXT115, there is no channel 28 -- if repeater channels are active, it shows up as "20rp" when scrolling through the channels. On the hand-helds (and the DB20-G that may be getting returned for excessively LOW power output) I have named the channels similarly: simplex is named "G20 Em/Tr" and repeater is "R20 Em/Tr" (the Line A exclusion frequencies were similarly named with "...LinA" so it is easy to avoid them).

On 9/7/2022 at 12:32 PM, KAF6045 said:

Correct. I was referring to the physical channels in the KG-UV9GX, where ch 28 is the repeater configuration for what is now commonly assigned as GMRS channel 20 (i.e. .675). There's no requirement that repeaters be used only for emergencies - in fact, all channels must give priority to any emergency traffic, including ch 20 (675) simplex or repeater, etc.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/8/2022 at 5:47 PM, BSRMark said:

Correct. I was referring to the physical channels in the KG-UV9GX, where ch 28 is the repeater configuration for what is now commonly assigned as GMRS channel 20 (i.e. .675). There's no requirement that repeaters be used only for emergencies - in fact, all channels must give priority to any emergency traffic, including ch 20 (675) simplex or repeater, etc.

In the old days, .675 was an FCC designated emergency channel usable by any licensee for /emergencies/ (this is back when one applied for TWO of the main frequency pairs, and they were listed on one's license -- you could NOT use any other main frequency; if your radio was, as many business radios of the era, only a two-channel radio [A/B toggle switch], and your license did not include .675, you had no access to the emergency frequency. If you specified .675 as one of your two frequencies, then it was available for general use. When I got licensed, the Maxon GMRS 210+3 was a desirable radio: it had the 462MHz interstitials (in 1-7), .675 (as channel 8), and channels 9&10 were "shop" programmable for the two frequencies on one's license. [While FCC regulations specified a radio shop must do the programming, they included the programming manual -- take the back off, press some button to enter #9 mode, rotate dial to select frequency, press button to enter #10 mode, turn dial to select frequency] Repeater vs Simplex was handled by a front-panel button which would toggle the current channel's state.

Note the age of my call-sign -- a 3x4 vs the current crop of 4x3.

• 3 months later...
On 1/1/2023 at 11:39 AM, WRVR429 said:

What antenna pins do they use? It would be nice to be able to use all the antennas I have for my Btech gmrs v2 without adapters. Im on the long wait list for mine. Its hard to float $200+ for a radio. Any comments??

I'm on the list as well. As far as I know the use SMA male antennas so you just need an adapter.  I just received a package of them so I can use anything including my Midland MXT12  mag mount on my roof mounting an MXT26  6db gain antenna for my truck. Also got a super flexible cable to attach to the roof antenna to any HT. Hoping my 9GX gets here soon!

• 1 month later...

After 5 months on the waiting list, I received notice my KG-UV9GX has shipped.  My order # was in the 130xxx range.  I also ordered the Smiley Slim Line Whip.  Received my Ed Fong DBJ-UHF antenna kit last week.

I completed a CERT program via our county sheriff's office a couple of months ago.  Now studying for my HAM Extra class exam.  Major snowstorm will impact us middle of the week.

WA7HPK