Signal received but all static

WRPT260

I have my GMRS radio scanning all GMRS/repeater channels on my radio. My squelch is set at about 5, but I keep receiving a pretty strong signal on channel 19.   All I hear is static/white noise when the transmission is coming though.  

what could be causing this?   

1 hour ago, WRPT260 said:

..I keep receiving a pretty strong signal on channel 19.   All I hear is static/white noise when the transmission is coming though.  

Could be abazallion things causing it, but most likely some kind of controls-system on that frequency.  For example there is a wind-turbine farm in our area that does that.. Also In my area any time road crews put up certain types electronic road-work signs this happens.. It could be bleedover from some other kind of strong signal in a neighboring frequency, or, as we also have in our area, it could be a jammer trying to jam-up a repeater (and doing a good job of it) .. Or as I've seen posted here lately, it could be a cheap baby-monitor, car-battery charger, or adult toy.

Or, it could be something else. 

I have a lcd monitor that throws lots of RFI on channel 3, and a lower level on channel 6. Turn off the monitor and it's gone.

I'd start looking at electronics close by firstban see if I could quell the interference;failing that, I'd try setting a rx tone on ch 19 so the radio (hopefully) bypasses the offending rfi, or just excluding it from the scan.

1 hour ago, WRPT260 said:

I have my GMRS radio scanning all GMRS/repeater channels on my radio. My squelch is set at about 5, but I keep receiving a pretty strong signal on channel 19.   All I hear is static/white noise when the transmission is coming though.  

I don’t know.  I just want to make that clear up front.  It may be noise from some device in your house or in a neighboring house (assuming you live near someone else.) But here are some things you can try to discover the answer for yourself:

1. See if another GMRS radio is affected as well.  If not, then perhaps it’s a problem with your radio.
  2. If another radio is affected or if you cannot easily check, then turn off all the power to your house.  Do you still receive the static?
  3. If so, turn your house mains back on then turn off your breakers one at a time to try and eliminate the circuits that are not causing the problem. If you find a circuit that is connected to the static do some detective work to determine what’s plugged into that circuit. I would suspect an LED light or fluorescent light with a solid state ballast, a computer or other device.
  4. If turning off the whole house power didn’t help, go for a drive.  Do you still receive the interference when you’re away from your home or neighborhood?  

Good luck!

3 hours ago, Sshannon said:

I don’t know.  I just want to make that clear up front.  It may be noise from some device in your house or in a neighboring house (assuming you live near someone else.) But here are some things you can try to discover the answer for yourself:

1. See if another GMRS radio is affected as well.  If not, then perhaps it’s a problem with your radio.
  2. If another radio is affected or if you cannot easily check, then turn off all the power to your house.  Do you still receive the static?
  3. If so, turn your house mains back on then turn off your breakers one at a time to try and eliminate the circuits that are not causing the problem. If you find a circuit that is connected to the static do some detective work to determine what’s plugged into that circuit. I would suspect an LED light or fluorescent light with a solid state ballast, a computer or other device.
  4. If turning off the whole house power didn’t help, go for a drive.  Do you still receive the interference when you’re away from your home or neighborhood?  

Good luck!

It wasn't in my house, it was while driving on an interstate highway near Albany, NY.    I've never had the issue while in my house.   

Guest Im new to GMRS. WRQ1704

I have tried to register on here but it cant find my call sign (license). I got licensed on the 27th of this month.  I live in deep south Texas down by Brownsville. What Im trying to find is a list of repeaters down here that I can use to extend my communication. Any ideas where I go about looking for these??

1 hour ago, Guest Im new to GMRS. WRQ1704 said:

I have tried to register on here but it cant find my call sign (license). I got licensed on the 27th of this month.  I live in deep south Texas down by Brownsville. What Im trying to find is a list of repeaters down here that I can use to extend my communication. Any ideas where I go about looking for these??

It takes a few days sometimes for the forum software to be able to access your license information. Plus the changes the FCC implemented to fees for ham and GMRS licenses has caused some problems with processing (at least for ham licenses).

Besides this site there’s also repeaterbook: https://www.repeaterbook.com/gmrs/index.php?state_id=none

On 4/27/2022 at 9:21 PM, Sshannon said:

Or, does it only happen in your car?  Many modern cars have some kind of wireless devices. 

Yes...in the car.  I think this is it.    I've found on various channels if I aim the antenna in specific part of the headliner it happens.    Could be the satellite or GPS antennas interfering.

• 1 month later...