Midland MXT575 Drops Next Week.

WRFE959

On 4/28/2022 at 6:41 AM, WRQB993 said:

Received that as well. Very interested as I'm leaning toward the MXT275 but want to see if this is more than just the extra power. Looking forward to some hands on reviews.

UPDATE: Midland has confirmed that as of 4/26/2022 (Thanks @WRQB993) there is a firmware/configuration available for the USB-C hardware revision that has wide band enabled on the repeater channels.

The MXT575 should also support wide band, the MXT275 is narrow band only.  I've had people tell me I'm quite on repeaters that are setup for wide band with my MXT275.

32 minutes ago, Screech said:

The MXT575 should also support wide band, the MXT275 is narrow band only. I've had people tell me I'm quite on repeaters that are setup for wide band with my MXT275.

The new MTX275 is wide band - check my posts in this thread -

3 hours ago, WRQB993 said:

The new MTX275 is wide band - check my posts in this thread -

That "MTX275 is wide band" should also note the rest of the info. That any currently on a retail shelf do not. It is not user configurable or programmable and only applies to repeater channels. Must be sent in for firmware update (if that is an option they will support, they just mentioned field updates are not possible) or order new and request the updated firmware. The worst part is I don't see where they have indicated a way to determine the current firmware on the radio so you even know if your repeater channels are wide/narrow.

1 hour ago, Screech said:

The worst part is I don't see where they have indicated a way to determine the current firmware on the radio so you even know if your repeater channels are wide/narrow.

As they said - <<The MXT275 with the USB-C on the front is the updated wide/narrow band . The older USB-A model is Narrow band only. >>

1 hour ago, WRQB993 said:

As they said - <<The MXT275 with the USB-C on the front is the updated wide/narrow band . The older USB-A model is Narrow band only. >>

We do have a firmware update for the MXT275 with USB-C that makes the repeater channels wide band. 

That is not how I read it, it reads like there are 2 firmware versions the USB-C model could ship with, otherwise there would be no need to them to updated it before shipping. I have the updated USB-C version and on the repeater I've been reported as quite by others.

7 minutes ago, Screech said:

That is not how I read it, it reads like there are 2 firmware versions the USB-C model could ship with, otherwise there would be no need to them to updated it before shipping. I have the updated USB-C version and on the repeater I've been reported as quite by others.

I would contact Midland for clarification. I only passed along what they told me.

Midland contact us

I did reach out back in March right after I got this unit. And they told me this unit was narrow band only and I complained a little about the issue (others reporting that I'm quiet compared to everyone else) that was causing while using repeaters. Maybe they reviewed the config and decided on this update because I contacted them and complained a little. I don't know. I'll reach back out though and see if mine can be updated.

Previous emails with support:

On Wed, 30 Mar at 6:04 AM , Screech wrote:

I'm visiting an area where I finally heard some repeater use from my scanner. I went to nearby Bass Pro Shop and bought the MXT275, requested access to the repeater and once granted started talking with the locals. They said I was really quiet, after some discussion and research it appears that the MXT275 radio is narrow band, even on the repeater channels. Is this truly narrow band only? Is there a way to update than, perhaps a file on a USB thumb drive with updated config file that is inserted into the radio and/or a service menu accessed on the controls?  

On to the MXT575, I was looking for the manual online and didn't see it. I would consider this radio if it supports wide band on the repeater channels.

In my opinion any radio that advertises repeater support should support wide band, even if only configurable through menus on the radio.

Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2022 10:48
To: screech
Subject: Re: MXT275 inquiry and MXT575 manual/details

Hi Screech,

The MXT275 is narrow band, there is not a setting to switch to wide-band. 
Our newer MXTs, 500 and the unreleased 575 are both narrow and wideband capable. 

You won't be able to find the 575 manual as it is an unreleased product. 

Warm Regards,
Midland Radio

And, I have a reply. They state that I would have to ship the radio to them (Roger) with a note that states what I would like updated and a return address. So, if you have this MXT275 w/USB-C odds are unless you just got it directly from Midland you are still narrow band everywhere. But being able to ship the radio in for update is good. But I'll likely wait for a replacement to be on hand to do that.