Midland MXT575 Drops Next Week.

WRFE959

On 4/28/2022 at 6:41 AM, WRQB993 said:

Received that as well. Very interested as I'm leaning toward the MXT275 but want to see if this is more than just the extra power. Looking forward to some hands on reviews.

UPDATE: Midland has confirmed that as of 4/26/2022 (Thanks @WRQB993) there is a firmware/configuration available for the USB-C hardware revision that has wide band enabled on the repeater channels.

The MXT575 should also support wide band, the MXT275 is narrow band only.  I've had people tell me I'm quite on repeaters that are setup for wide band with my MXT275.

3 hours ago, WRQB993 said:

The new MTX275 is wide band - check my posts in this thread -

That "MTX275 is wide band" should also note the rest of the info. That any currently on a retail shelf do not. It is not user configurable or programmable and only applies to repeater channels. Must be sent in for firmware update (if that is an option they will support, they just mentioned field updates are not possible) or order new and request the updated firmware. The worst part is I don't see where they have indicated a way to determine the current firmware on the radio so you even know if your repeater channels are wide/narrow.

1 hour ago, Screech said:

The worst part is I don't see where they have indicated a way to determine the current firmware on the radio so you even know if your repeater channels are wide/narrow.

As they said - <<The MXT275 with the USB-C on the front is the updated wide/narrow band . The older USB-A model is Narrow band only. >>

1 hour ago, WRQB993 said:

As they said - <<The MXT275 with the USB-C on the front is the updated wide/narrow band . The older USB-A model is Narrow band only. >>

We do have a firmware update for the MXT275 with USB-C that makes the repeater channels wide band. 

That is not how I read it, it reads like there are 2 firmware versions the USB-C model could ship with, otherwise there would be no need to them to updated it before shipping. I have the updated USB-C version and on the repeater I've been reported as quite by others.

7 minutes ago, Screech said:

That is not how I read it, it reads like there are 2 firmware versions the USB-C model could ship with, otherwise there would be no need to them to updated it before shipping. I have the updated USB-C version and on the repeater I've been reported as quite by others.

I would contact Midland for clarification. I only passed along what they told me.

Midland contact us

I did reach out back in March right after I got this unit. And they told me this unit was narrow band only and I complained a little about the issue (others reporting that I'm quiet compared to everyone else) that was causing while using repeaters. Maybe they reviewed the config and decided on this update because I contacted them and complained a little. I don't know. I'll reach back out though and see if mine can be updated.

Previous emails with support:

On Wed, 30 Mar at 6:04 AM , Screech wrote:

I'm visiting an area where I finally heard some repeater use from my scanner. I went to nearby Bass Pro Shop and bought the MXT275, requested access to the repeater and once granted started talking with the locals. They said I was really quiet, after some discussion and research it appears that the MXT275 radio is narrow band, even on the repeater channels. Is this truly narrow band only? Is there a way to update than, perhaps a file on a USB thumb drive with updated config file that is inserted into the radio and/or a service menu accessed on the controls?  

On to the MXT575, I was looking for the manual online and didn't see it. I would consider this radio if it supports wide band on the repeater channels.

In my opinion any radio that advertises repeater support should support wide band, even if only configurable through menus on the radio.

Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2022 10:48
To: screech
Subject: Re: MXT275 inquiry and MXT575 manual/details

Hi Screech,

The MXT275 is narrow band, there is not a setting to switch to wide-band. 
Our newer MXTs, 500 and the unreleased 575 are both narrow and wideband capable. 

You won't be able to find the 575 manual as it is an unreleased product. 

Warm Regards,
Midland Radio

And, I have a reply. They state that I would have to ship the radio to them (Roger) with a note that states what I would like updated and a return address. So, if you have this MXT275 w/USB-C odds are unless you just got it directly from Midland you are still narrow band everywhere. But being able to ship the radio in for update is good. But I'll likely wait for a replacement to be on hand to do that.

• 3 weeks later...

I just recently purchased 2 MXT575 units.  They are wide and narrow capable on repeater channels.  At first I was using the included antenna and was pleasantly surprised at the distance but the girlfriend didn't like the look of it on her car.  I didn't care for it either.  I installed Larsen thru glass mount antennas on both vehicles and they work great.  I noticed improvement on the transmit side and receive was much better than the included antenna.  The Larsens weren't cheap by any means but I've used them in the past with good results.  I know some have had bad luck with thru glass antennas.  I used to run Icom radios but I have to admit I do like the simplicity of the Midland and finding a place to mount a full size radio in a 21 Durango is almost impossible so this fits the bill.  I just keep a list of repeaters and tones on my phone if I need to program one on the fly when I get out of my area.   I was able to get the SWR down to about 1.3:1 and one unit is putting out exactly 50W and the other is about 48W.  I have to say I'm pretty impressed.

On 5/19/2022 at 10:46 AM, jdoolin said:

I just recently purchased 2 MXT575 units.  They are wide and narrow capable on repeater channels.  At first I was using the included antenna and was pleasantly surprised at the distance but the girlfriend didn't like the look of it on her car.  I didn't care for it either.  I installed Larsen thru glass mount antennas on both vehicles and they work great.  I noticed improvement on the transmit side and receive was much better than the included antenna.  The Larsens weren't cheap by any means but I've used them in the past with good results.  I know some have had bad luck with thru glass antennas.  I used to run Icom radios but I have to admit I do like the simplicity of the Midland and finding a place to mount a full size radio in a 21 Durango is almost impossible so this fits the bill.  I just keep a list of repeaters and tones on my phone if I need to program one on the fly when I get out of my area.   I was able to get the SWR down to about 1.3:1 and one unit is putting out exactly 50W and the other is about 48W.  I have to say I'm pretty impressed.

Wow that is good info thanks!

• 2 months later...

I purchased two MXT575's.

My mobile with the 6db midland antenna is working great for my needs.  I can work all my local repeaters very reliably with my setup (20-30 mile range).  And if I am stationary with a clear view of the north sky, I can check in on a repeater just over 90 miles from my location.  Couldn't ask for much more with the MXT575 + 6db antenna.

I particularly like the simplicity.  Yes, I have a couple of Wouxon's where I can program in 1,000 channels.  But honestly, all those channels turn into clutter.  Let's face it, I am generally working 8 frequencies or less.  I know some of you have multiple repeaters on the same freq with different tones - which has not been a problem for me - and from the map I look at around the country most do not have this problem.   And I do enjoy checking in on other repeaters when I travel.  But as mentioned above, I can make note on my phone of the repeaters I want to try.  It takes 5 seconds tops to swap TX tones.  I leave the RX tones open to listen for traffic.

My second is for a base station.  Still working on antennas for that one.  I need more height at home to really get the performance I want.  But I am able to check in on local repeaters.  And it makes a very clean installation.  I can hide away the main unit.  I purchased a RJ45 extension cable (for mobile and base).  With all the controls on the mic, the base unit and power supply are hidden.  Very nice install.

For my base installation, I even put a WIFI power outlet on the power supply.  So when I am around town, if I want to contact Unit 2, I can turn on the base station from my phone, and call out to my base station from the mobile.   The 575 returns to the last state, so powering on the power supply turns on the 575 to the last channel.   

Couldn't be happier with the 575.

33 minutes ago, WRFE959 said:

For my base installation, I even put a WIFI power outlet on the power supply.  So when I am around town, if I want to contact Unit 2, I can turn on the base station from my phone, and call out to my base station from the mobile.   The 575 returns to the last state, so powering on the power supply turns on the 575 to the last channel.   

What a cool idea!

• 2 months later...

Hello folks…. new user here. I just installed the MTX575 in my rig yesterday, along with the hood lip mount and 3db Midland stubby antenna. I plan to relocate the antenna to an NMO roof mount, along with the same for my Wilson WeBoost Drive Reach.

Once I figured out how to access the local repeater I was absolutely impressed by this radio. I look forward to adding more radios and getting familiar with local users in the area. So far, it’s been a welcoming and helpful group I’ve encountered.

• 4 months later...

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I've been looking at one of these radios, but I haven't been ably to find out much about technical details. Does anyone know what type of receiver this radio has (superheterodyne, SOC, etc.), receiver sensitivity, and so on. The tech specs from Midland are pretty dumbed down, but their product info has been that way for a long time. Would it even be worth my time to shake this info out of Midland?

2 minutes ago, WRUU653 said:

Well @buttholejim if that’s your name ? I do believe Midlands are SOC. 

buttholejim is what I'm called in polite company... But you can call me worst things. My wife certainly does...

I watched Randy's video... twice. There was no mention of the type receiver. But I am old, half deaf, and can't see worth a crap at anything closer than an arms length away. Thank god I get such great free healthcare at the VA.

4 minutes ago, buttholejim said:

buttholejim is what I'm called in polite company... But you can call me worst things. My wife certainly does...

I watched Randy's video... twice. There was no mention of the type receiver. But I am old, half deaf, and can't see worth a crap at anything closer than an arms length away. Thank god I get such great free healthcare at the VA

??? you got me man. Getting older myself. I hadn’t watched it in a while but I’m fairly certain if superheterodyne is what you want in a mobile the Wouxun radios are going to be the ones. Though I think solid and simple the Midlands have a good reputation though I don’t have one. Thanks for the laugh and thank you for your service. 

57 minutes ago, WRUU653 said:

??? you got me man. Getting older myself. I hadn’t watched it in a while but I’m fairly certain if superheterodyne is what you want in a mobile the Wouxun radios are going to be the ones. Though I think solid and simple the Midlands have a good reputation though I don’t have one. Thanks for the laugh and thank you for your service. 

Yeah, generally, Midlands quality is pretty good. But if it's $400 and SOC, the price is a little high. I do like the idea of controls in the mic and stuffing the box under the seat of my Jeep. I also didn't see any extension cable for the mic. Looks like standard RJ45 stuff. I found lots of RJ45 extensions on Amazon but not sure if there something a little more robust that's specific for the MTX575. Many moons ago, I remember when Radio Shack first started selling a CB with the controls in the mic. I think they were the first to do that back in the 1970's. Always thought it was a cool idea. My pop put one of those Radio Shack CB's on his 1976 Honda Goldwing...

15 hours ago, buttholejim said:

I do like the idea of controls in the mic and stuffing the box under the seat of my Jeep

I like the idea of controls on the mic as well. Retevis has one now also. I think it’s 20 watt. Looks like it has RX on the lower wattage 8-14 channels. Midland doesn’t bother to put them in since you can’t TX on them. I’m not ready to pull the trigger on the mobile yet, I’ve been just watching what comes out. I’m sure as soon as I’ve made a decision and purchase something new will come along ?