New Licensee

Guest James

Guest James

I had to get a new Liense as my old GMRS License expired so I just got it but I was wondering Would anyone know if I can use GMRS Channel 19 as my regular  channel or is it an Emergency only channel as channels 18&20 are

No channels are reserved for anything except for repeater input frequencies being reserved for repeater inputs. Even that has some exceptions. 

§ 95.1731 Permissible GMRS uses.

The operator of a GMRS station may use that station for two-way plain language voice communications with other GMRS stations and with FRS units concerning personal or business activities.

(a) Emergency communications. Any GMRS channel may be used for emergency communications or for traveler assistance. Operators of GMRS stations must, at all times and on all channels, give priority to emergency communications

§ 95.1763 GMRS channels.

(c) 467 MHz main channels. Only mobile, hand-held portable, control and fixed stations may transmit on these 8 channels. Mobile, hand-held portable and control stations may transmit on these channels only when communicating through a repeater station or making brief test transmissions in accordance with § 95.319(c).

32 minutes ago, WRQX963 said:

I have a similar question:
There are no repeaters on a particular channel for well over a hundred miles from my area.
Would it be legal to talk simplex with low-power handy talkies on that input frequency?

Technically, its a rule violation, not a law violation... but to answer your question, no, you are not authorized to have a simplex conversation on those input frequencies.

35 minutes ago, WRQX963 said:

I have a similar question:
There are no repeaters on a particular channel for well over a hundred miles from my area.
Would it be legal to talk simplex with low-power handy talkies on that input frequency?

Why not have a conversation on the output frequencies? Or are those in use already?

4 hours ago, back4more70 said:

Why not have a conversation on the output frequencies? Or are those in use already?

Just a little bit more privacy, like say, as a last resort, I absolutely had to use GMRS to transfer some credit card information really quickly and were afraid of scanners?

9 hours ago, WRQX963 said:

Just a little bit more privacy, like say, as a last resort, I absolutely had to use GMRS to transfer some credit card information really quickly and were afraid of scanners?

Scanners can monitor the repeater input freq just as easy. I have repeater input freq programmed on my radio for RX as I can then scan for the tone/dsc for that repeater input as well.

21 minutes ago, Screech said:

Scanners can monitor the repeater input freq just as easy. I have repeater input freq programmed on my radio for RX as I can then scan for the tone/dsc for that repeater input as well.

+1

I also have repeater input frequencies programmed in my scanner.  With 200 channels available, I struggle to find frequencies to scan, so why not put in the repeater input frequencies as well? 

Also, if I hear someone on a repeater input frequency, it tells me they are close enough to me that I could talk to them on simplex, possibly even better than using repeater duplex, as the repeater may be 10 or 20+ miles away.  If I can hear his repeater input, he's probably within just a few miles from me.

31 minutes ago, Citizen said:

+1

I also have repeater input frequencies programmed in my scanner.  With 200 channels available, I struggle to find frequencies to scan, so why not put in the repeater input frequencies as well?

You could always turn to bettersaferadio's "SHTF scanner list" for ideas 

(because fedex and nascar are just who I need in the radio in an emergency? ? )

On 6/8/2022 at 11:20 PM, WRQX963 said:

There is no such thing as privacy on any GMRS channel. They are all open frequencies free for any licensed user to transmit and/or receive. Just ask @OffRoaderX and he will tell you about all the "privacy" you get on GMRS.