KSG1000G Coming Out....Moving to Midland MXT575

DanW

The KSG1000G just has too many features that I don't use and it clutters the dash of my Jeep.  Since I had to mount the base under my seat, it isn't loud enough. I had to add an external speaker.  The mic speaker is nice, but still not loud enough for a Jeep with the top opened up.

I've got a lot going on with a Garmin Overlander, CB, and the GMRS.  (The CB is an all-in the mic Uniden)  So it'll be a cleaner setup.  The KSG1000G has been a great radio, though.  Lots of power and I like being able to monitor two channels.  

So I'll be selling the Wouxun.  It is less than a year old.  I've got the original box and a RAM mount ball on the remote faceplate mount.  PM me if interested.  I'll be taking it out and boxing it up this weekend.  

I'll post the setup with the MXT when I get it mounted up.  It will be hidden and very clean.  Can't wait to get it set up.  

PXL_20211015_152831724.jpg

We need to be supportive of them coming out.  It takes a huge amount of courage to face yourself and openly admit to who you are.  That courage needs to be admired.  Oh, wait... you are talking about pulling your radio and getting a different one.  Nevermind.

I was picturing the Village people all dancing around with the KSG1000 radios with Diana Ross singing her coming out song.  Sorry.

11 hours ago, gortex2 said:

Thats the reason I have the 275 in both my JT and JK. Overlander in the center. CB is the CMX series all in head. Simple and effective.

Yeah, I had the 275 before and will be mounting it in my wife's Jeep.  I love the 2 channel monitoring of the KG-1000G but I really miss the quality feel of the 275, and the simplicity.  I also miss the loud speaker, as I mentioned before.  Its just a better radio for a Jeep.  If I was a big time GMRS hobbyist, the Wouxun would be better.  

I had a 275 for years, and now I own two 575s.   The 575 covers all the gaps for me that I felt were missing in the 275.

I know some are not fans.  But for me, they are great.  I have mine mounted under the truck seat with a RJ45 cable up to my dash, and plug the 575 mic in there.  Clean.  Simple.  Does everything I want it to, and it doesn't do the things I don't need.  I understand that others have different needs and are fans of other radios.

I like the extra power, wide band, and split tones on repeaters.  I am not a HAM and don't need to monitor stations I am not planning to participate on.  

Simplex or Duplex, I have been impressed so far.  I have them paired with the 6db gain Midland antenna, and am more than pleased with the performance.

• 4 weeks later...

I can relate when I "jumped" into the GMRS pool I got the same radio, overwhelming features for me too. I mounted mine in different spot in my JT. But picked up 3 hand held too, but not much GMRS activity near me. But I figured I'd start with a high quality do all radio.

On 6/10/2022 at 12:54 PM, WRFE959 said:

I had a 275 for years, and now I own two 575s.   The 575 covers all the gaps for me that I felt were missing in the 275.

I know some are not fans.  But for me, they are great.  I have mine mounted under the truck seat with a RJ45 cable up to my dash, and plug the 575 mic in there.  Clean.  Simple.  Does everything I want it to, and it doesn't do the things I don't need.  I understand that others have different needs and are fans of other radios.

I like the extra power, wide band, and split tones on repeaters.  I am not a HAM and don't need to monitor stations I am not planning to participate on.  

Simplex or Duplex, I have been impressed so far.  I have them paired with the 6db gain Midland antenna, and am more than pleased with the performance.

As mentioned, I have the XMT275, but I also have a KG1000G. I'm still working on the install in my truck, but one of my requirements is the radio behind the seat and for it to support both radios, just not at the same time. I've run a straight through Cat5 to the dash from a RJ45 jack on the radio mount platform to a RJ45 jack behind where the KG face plate mounts. With the faceplate removed I can plug my 275 mic in right there and use the patch in the back between the radio and the radio mount platform. I've thought about running 2 cat5 Cables so that connect to the programing port on the KG so I can just plug the laptop into it for programming up front.

I understand the speaker too quiet issue, to try and counter this is I'm installing the OE dash speaker into the dash of my truck that was not there for my trim level and connecting that speaker to the radio in the back. I just got a used high current battery junction box (HCBJB) from eBay to pull some parts from so I can add the 50A fuse for the radio to a blank location in my truck's HCBJB for a very OE looking install. 

@Screech I'm curious why you are installing a 50 Amp circuit? Even poor efficiency 50 watt radios only draw 7 or 8 amps on full power.  I have a 50w GMRS radio, 50w VHF/UHF radio, 100w HF radio, and a 300w VHF amplifier on a 40 amp circuit and never max it out.  I could literally transmit full power on all of them at he same time and still fall short of 50 amps.

26 minutes ago, marcspaz said:

@Screech I'm curious why you are installing a 50 Amp circuit? Even poor efficiency 50 watt radios only draw 7 or 8 amps on full power.  I have a 50w GMRS radio, 50w VHF/UHF radio, 100w HF radio, and a 300w VHF amplifier on a 40 amp circuit and never max it out.  I could literally transmit full power on all of them at he same time and still fall short of 40 amps.

I'm putting a fuse box on the platform as well. I'll be adding lighting in the bed of the truck from there. Also plan to have room to add more later, only using 4 of 6 fuses in the box. using good heavy power wire and 50A up front just saves me from having to disassemble the truck for a while to add more things later. Thinking in time I may look into a higher rated inverter than the truck came with too.  Also, fuses in the engine bay area may blow at lower Amps depending on temp. At 180F a midi 2 hole fuse may only be rated for 41A.

10 hours ago, chappys4life said:

I have been looking at the mxt575 and the gmrs-50x1 radio for my f250 camper tow rig. Curious to see how yours comes out

I'm loving it so far.  It is louder and seems a little more clear than the Wouxun.  But I've only used it on simplex channels.  It plays really well with the Radioditty GM30 handheld and my Baofengs.

• 3 weeks later...