Michigan GMRS

Guest Hobbyaddict1

Guest Hobbyaddict1

Hello GMRS users,

I decided to pick up a GMRS HT.  Before buying something to mount in my vehicle.   Not a HAM user and had a CB years ago.   The first thing I noticed is that GMRS does not seem to be popular here in Michigan.  Unlike a CB scanning channels the scanning of GMRS is not picking up any chatter.

yes I still need to learn a bit about the radio but I did think I would hear a few locals.   Looking at the repeater map it also looks like there is not a whole lot of them in the Metro Detroit area. Actually I don’t see a whole lot in Michigan period.  Could be good could be bad depending on how you look at it.  I am correct on this being unpopular or should I be hearing a lot going on.   

wouxun KG-935

Comments?

Thanks,

Ed

Guest Hobbyaddict

To add the plan is to use it when trailing with others however I was hoping to be able to use in emergency both local and if out on a trip where we find no cell coverage (using repeaters when possible)

Realistically, Gmrs doesnt have as much of a "hobbyist" crowd as other services, at least in many areas. Central CA is similar, though there are a couple repeaters up, and a few people on them here and there. It was a bit of a letdown at first, but there's starting to be a little growth.

Emergency use...I'll say it really varies based on the area. from what you describe I wouldn't want to depend on it. There's a lot of repeaters out there, quite a few open, and a few under the radar and unlisted (nor are they are they required to be). There's definitely the occasional outdated listing that isn't still up or operable.

Good choice on first radio, imo. One other limiting factor (and lack of repeaters plays into this) is that gmrs is much more of a line of sight signal than cb. I'd be surprised if you aren't hearing a little bit of kids or businesses, though.

GMRS/FRS isn't as popular or widely used as CB. As the service is still growing, there are a lot of "holes" in the service area. Unlike CB, GMRS won't work for long distances as the frequency dictates line-of-sight communications. Unlike CB, you can use repeaters in GMRS, but each repeater is privately owned, and the owner of the equipment has control over who is allowed to use it. As to equipment, for mobile use anything over 25W is unnecessary as higher power doesn't equate to longer distances because of the line-of-sight characteristics. The biggest improvement for any installation is centered around the antenna. The location and height are the two biggest elements. Installing something as short as a 1/4 wave whip (about 6") on the roof of your vehicle will give you all the range possible with a 25W or higher watt radio.

Guest Hobbyaddict1

Guys Thank you…. I think I may have mis interpreted how used.  Now I am thinking use case  is the ability to communicate with others during a trail ride or travel trip with multiple cars all having GMRS.  I kept hearing Ham for dummies, thinking using repeater/ strings can boost a signal for miles..  Not even sure that is true knowing that there are not many repeaters out there.  Wife and I will be taking a trip, was going to listen to see what was out there.  I am now thinking we will be listening more to the car radio.

I guess I can leave it on with very low expectations. I am able to hear weather reports and warnings  :)

Yea it maybe a bit of a letdown as mentioned in the first reply. I was hoping to get more use out of it.  I probably should have done more research on “GMRS” rather than radio type.

I will keep my expectations low, learn a bit and give it some time before coming to a conclusion.

1 hour ago, Guest Hobbyaddict1 said:

Guys Thank you…. I think I may have mis interpreted how used.  Now I am thinking use case  is the ability to communicate with others during a trail ride or travel trip with multiple cars all having GMRS.  I kept hearing Ham for dummies, thinking using repeater/ strings can boost a signal for miles..  Not even sure that is true knowing that there are not many repeaters out there.  Wife and I will be taking a trip, was going to listen to see what was out there.  I am now thinking we will be listening more to the car radio.

I guess I can leave it on with very low expectations. I am able to hear weather reports and warnings  :)

Yea it maybe a bit of a letdown as mentioned in the first reply. I was hoping to get more use out of it.  I probably should have done more research on “GMRS” rather than radio type.

I will keep my expectations low, learn a bit and give it some time before coming to a conclusion.

In a convoy, it should serve you well over reasonable distance; strictly handheld, the vehicle isn't entirely helpful with the signal getting out, but you can set up an external (mag mount) antenna pretty easily. Gmrs is gaining popularity in the off road realm, especially with Midland throwing its marketing behind it at some of the events.

Function wise, ham-lite is fairly apt, as it works pretty similar to 70cm ham band; some antennas can cover both.

Repeater wise, there are still holes, yes, but the number is growing, including as linked networks. Midwest gmrs is a big one in the region, and might be worth keeping an ear for on your trip. 

While I believe this site is head and shoulders the best listing, there are others that may have some not listed here. Repeaterbook, while mostly aimed to hams, has been adding gmrs listings for the last year or so, and 'USA gmrs association' has some as well.

The license covering family can be a bonus here; there's a lot of family use on gmrs, while still room to experiment  with what works, what your coverage is like, etc. Maybe you can get the wife on board with her own 935g, or something simpler like an 805g. ?

12 hours ago, Guest Hobbyaddict1 said:

...The first thing I noticed is that GMRS does not seem to be popular here in Michigan...

Looking at the repeater map it also looks like there is not a whole lot of them in the Metro Detroit area. Actually I don’t see a whole lot in Michigan period...

Ed

Ed,

I don't know where you live in Metro Detroit, but if you are within 15 miles radius from Livernois and Big Beaver you can ask permission to join Troy575 repeater:

https://mygmrs.com/repeater/4676

I am a member of that repeater group for several years. We have open chat every second Sunday of the month. 

And now we have Rustbelt Exigency Radio Network (RuBERN) preppers net chat every Tuesday at 8 pm.

13 hours ago, Guest Hobbyaddict1 said:

I took a few GMRS and FRS radios with me on a fishing trip, and they were awesome for keeping in contact when we each wander around lakes and streams, letting each other know about fishing luck and current locations. I've also taken them hiking, and my brother takes them hunting.  Even using them between my house and the community pool ("bring me another beer") has been worth the price :)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest hobbyaddict1

Thanks guys...  I am about 30 miles south west from Livernois and Big Beaver.  Seen a possible repeater in Garden City, however I think that too is out of reach...

Probably won't get used as much as I had hoped for... *For now anyway.  Will have to get family members on board

2 hours ago, Guest hobbyaddict1 said:

Thanks guys...  I am about 30 miles south west from Livernois and Big Beaver.  Seen a possible repeater in Garden City, however I think that too is out of reach...

Probably won't get used as much as I had hoped for... *For now anyway.  Will have to get family members on board

Have you asked for permission to use the Troy575 repeater? If not you have nothing to lose. I’ve had some luck running 15 watts and a high gain mobile antenna from Oxford to the north. I’ve also heard a few mobiles almost out to Novi to the west. I’m in Sterling Heights so that puts me about 4 to 5 miles from the repeater. Works pretty well at 1 watt on a portable.

TROY 575 Repeater Group: [143] Members: 07/03/2022 

1.              ADMINISTRATOR: Dave R.: WRAB 719 / K8RDG / Mio / wrab719@gmail.com 

• 3 months later...

Just bought my first mobile, it seems that ch 16 is the unofficial off road channel, I'm in the lower south central area of Mi. Some offroaders are switching to gmrs so its gaining in popularity but still in its developing stage. I probably will be limited to who I can talk to until more people start using this service. Time will tell. Nice that I can converse with walkie talkies (FRS- limited) as well as gmrs HT's. Might do a base station in the future. Youtube has limited videos on GMRS, most are a year old. So far there's not alot of options for equipment, hopefully that will change with time.

18 hours ago, Guest taz911 said:

Just bought my first mobile, it seems that ch 16 is the unofficial off road channel, I'm in the lower south central area of Mi.

Said channel may not be of use if you are in lower Kent County.

Grand Rapids has a grandfathered license and a repeater on 575. Mostly used by the downtown parking lot staff -- calls about gates stuck up/down, machines refusing to accept cash (or cards) for lot payments, etc. Worse, the city is experimenting with DMR (I presume that low bzz-bzz-bzz... is DMR -- really need to see if I can set my Anytone DMR HT into promiscuous mode accepting anything on the frequency, to confirm)... Back in 97 PRSG repeater guide states that the repeater was available for /emergency/ only -- suspect these days if you made a call for help the dispatcher would just say "What's wrong with your cell phone?" 300ft tower, 200W ERP -- on a "bad" day I can hear them from Lowell (~15-20 miles east) and even into the county south...

On 6/16/2022 at 8:48 PM, Guest Hobbyaddict1 said:

Hello GMRS users,

I decided to pick up a GMRS HT.  Before buying something to mount in my vehicle.   Not a HAM user and had a CB years ago.   The first thing I noticed is that GMRS does not seem to be popular here in Michigan.  Unlike a CB scanning channels the scanning of GMRS is not picking up any chatter.

yes I still need to learn a bit about the radio but I did think I would hear a few locals.   Looking at the repeater map it also looks like there is not a whole lot of them in the Metro Detroit area. Actually I don’t see a whole lot in Michigan period.  Could be good could be bad depending on how you look at it.  I am correct on this being unpopular or should I be hearing a lot going on.   

wouxun KG-935

Comments?

Thanks,

Ed

Mr. Ed

If you're looking for a mobile radio, but want the ability to add channel with same repeater pair, different channel guard or PL. You may want to look at BTEC or WOUXUN, these radios have the ability to store same  repeater pairs with different tones or same or split tones. Midland well known in radios and excellend quality, but I would lean tward BTECH or WOUXUN KG 1000, because they offer Wide Range Recieve, especially if you like monitor AAR channel or Aircraft. Than again, the AAR channels are slowly migrating to IDAS/NXDN, but put shortline RR and VHF MARINE BAND

• 1 month later...
On 7/5/2022 at 1:09 PM, Lscott said:

Have you asked for permission to use the Troy575 repeater? If not you have nothing to lose. I’ve had some luck running 15 watts and a high gain mobile antenna from Oxford to the north. I’ve also heard a few mobiles almost out to Novi to the west. I’m in Sterling Heights so that puts me about 4 to 5 miles from the repeater. Works pretty well at 1 watt on a portable.

TROY 575 Repeater Group: [143] Members: 07/03/2022 

1.              ADMINISTRATOR: Dave R.: WRAB 719 / K8RDG / Mio / wrab719@gmail.com 

Can i ask a question as a noob?  So ive just been listening on gmrs channel 16 and have heard ppl from 40 mikes away. I assume thru a repeater and seeing one in Troy. I assume that one. So did my radio just automatically hook up to it?  And all these different ppl on it, you’re saying asked permission to use it?  I get there’s etiquette involved here. Its just confusing that my radio is picking these distances up without me doing anything 

It's normal to hear a repeater on simplex. Just because you hear them dosn't mean you are going through the repeater but rather you are able to hear it's output. Unless you have the repeater input tone they won't hear you. The repeater output tone is what selects only hearing the repeater. If you don't set the the output tone from the repeater you will still hear it as you are. You just hear everything that isn't going through the repeater as well. Some people won't set the output tone until they are sure they are accessing it with the input and others just leave it off altogether.  That's not to say it's an absolute that what you are hearing is from a repeater depending on line of site you might hear them on simplex.  Short answer, no you aren't hooked up to it unless you set your radio to it's parameters. 

8 hours ago, Guest Chevy said:

Can i ask a question as a noob?  So ive just been listening on gmrs channel 16 and have heard ppl from 40 mikes away. I assume thru a repeater and seeing one in Troy. I assume that one. So did my radio just automatically hook up to it?  And all these different ppl on it, you’re saying asked permission to use it?  I get there’s etiquette involved here. Its just confusing that my radio is picking these distances up without me doing anything 

It's not so much "hooking up to it" like it's a connection ....the repeater is transmitting on a frequency (the "output"). The way gmrs is arranged, the repeater output channels each share a frequency with a simplex (direct user to user) channel. If you're listening on the same frequency that it's transmitting on, you'll hear it if you're within range (unless some other setting prevents it).

In most cases, yes, either those people are part of a group that set up the repeater, asked permission, or the repeater was set up as "open" use.

Granted we have a little more elevation here in CA, but there's repeaters 30ish and 60ish miles out (both gmrs and 70cm ham) that I can reach with a handheld.

11 hours ago, Guest Chevy said:

As of last Monday the repeater has officially 224 registered users.

If what you hear is routine and frequent it is likely a wide area coverage repeater. The Troy machine is on top of a building at about 150 to 200 feet above ground level, I don't have an accurate figure for it. The radius of coverage should be about 20 miles, and might be further if the other station has a good height for it's antenna as well.

Some of what you might hear is referred to as "tropospheric ducting" which occasionally occurs on VHF and UHF frequencies. This has resulted in stations being heard 100's of miles away or more.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropospheric_propagation

1 hour ago, Lscott said:

The Troy machine is on top of a building at about 150 to 200 feet above ground level, I don't have an accurate figure for it. The radius of coverage should be about 20 miles, and might be further if the other station has a good height for it's antenna as well.

This summer I was sitting in my car on DTW South Cell Phone Lot on Eurika road waiting for airplane to arrive. At that time I had Wouxun 905g mounted in my car as mobile radio and 15" antenna on top of my trunk. I could hear conversation from Troy575 repeater loud and clear. And it is 28 miles distance.

distance.jpg

24 minutes ago, MozartMan said:

This summer I was sitting in my car on DTW South Cell Phone Lot on Eurika road waiting for airplane to arrive. At that time I had Wouxun 905g mounted in my car as mobile radio and 15" antenna on top of my trunk. I could hear conversation from Troy575 repeater loud and clear. And it is 28 miles distance.

distance.jpg

That's stretching it a bit! I tried once from the old Place location, by the land fill, and it was a bit noisy. When I got to Lake Orion, nothing. That's with a big high gain mobile antenna. 

• 3 months later...
Guest Hobbyaddict1

Popped back on again to peruse since it has been a while...  Seen my original posting and additional replies.  A family member is going to be picking up a radio and I have been scanning and picking up more chatter recently.  Seen the possibly of hitting the Troy repeater and another in Detroit so once again started to read up on repeaters.  Thanks for the feedback...

-Ed

1 hour ago, Guest Hobbyaddict1 said:

Popped back on again to peruse since it has been a while...  Seen my original posting and additional replies.  A family member is going to be picking up a radio and I have been scanning and picking up more chatter recently.  Seen the possibly of hitting the Troy repeater and another in Detroit so once again started to read up on repeaters.  Thanks for the feedback...

-Ed

The Detroit and Mount Clemens repeaters are linked. My understanding is the group that owns them is planing on another one in Pontiac. The Troy repeater is a stand alone.

One other thing there is a repeater at the Lakeside Mall, maybe good for 4 to 5 miles. It's used by the mall's house keeping staff. Funny thing is their license to use it expired on 10/2015 and was NEVER renewed. I double checked that on the FCC's database. They lost any legal ability to use it, but they continue to do so. It's on the same frequency pair as the Troy repeater but uses a different tone, 186.2Hz. If it got high-jacked I guess they can't complain without the FCC asking why they're on GMRS without a license. Oops. The mall security sometimes call them on it, or the other way around too.