Spars GMRS license - Can my GF use that license which is not being used?

Guest Glen Collins

Guest Glen Collins

Hello everyone! I have an interesting question about GMRS licensing. And perusing the FCC site is very painful whcih is why I'm here! I was wondering if I had an unused GMRS license/Call sign, can my GF just use that license with he call sign even though it's got my name on it? Or must I transfer into her name. And if I have to do that, could I just do that on my own FRN or must she have her own FRN.

Thanks!

Glen

First the easy one. In order for a license to be in her name she will need to have her own FRN.

Regarding  your GF using your license... I'm no expert, but the FCC has defined "family" in their licensing rules and I don't recall seeing GF, BF, BFF, or significant other among those included.  

4 hours ago, Guest Glen Collins said:

Hello everyone! I have an interesting question about GMRS licensing. And perusing the FCC site is very painful whcih is why I'm here! I was wondering if I had an unused GMRS license/Call sign, can my GF just use that license with he call sign even though it's got my name on it? Or must I transfer into her name. And if I have to do that, could I just do that on my own FRN or must she have her own FRN.

Thanks!

Glen

She’s not in your family, so technically she can’t use it. If you marry or adopt her she could. ?

I doubt that there’s a way to transfer the license to her anyway. If there were it would probably cost the same $35 as just paying for a new license. 

Unfortunately, she will have to apply for her own license. There are two legalese passages— IANAL —that prevent your girlfriend from using your unused license.

On 6/17/2022 at 6:07 PM, Guest Glen Collins said:

And perusing the FCC site is very painful whcih is why I'm here!

I agree, and I don't envy the task she has ahead. I recommend Notarubicon's guide for applying for a GMRS license; it's what I used to get mine. As for FRNs, after looking at the FCC's page about FRNs, it appears she will need her own, too, and the guide goes over that also.

Onto the legalese. First, the legalese for GMRS actually has provisions for something close to what you want to do, but no cigar: a GMRS license may be used by "immediate family members" of the licensee. Part 95.1705(c)(2), the legalese in question, defines that term rather generously IMO, but it does not extend to boyfriends or girlfriends (weird, it extends to parents and stepparents, but only siblings and not stepsiblings):

Any individual who holds an individual license may allow his or her immediate family members to operate his or her GMRS station or stations. Immediate family members are the licensee's spouse, children, grandchildren, stepchildren, parents, grandparents, stepparents, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, and in-laws.

Second, while IANAL, I asked someone who is (obligatory disclaimer: they're not your lawyer) about what the "Conditions" section of my GMRS license means when I got my license. Incidentally, I believe part (or most) of her answer was along the lines of "you can't give it to someone else if you're bored with it and don't want it anymore." I'm guessing that that was conveyed by the following sentence from said section:

Neither the license nor the right granted thereunder shall be assigned or otherwise transferred in violation of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended.

Perhaps your conditions are different and more lenient... so YMMV? I don't know.

Edited by WRQV528

I've seen posts here and there referencing having more than one FRN, generally related to having lost access to the first...with that in mind I could see it as possible to have two FRNs, and a gmrs license under each

On transferring one, the legalese seems more to say you can't transfer one in a way that violates the Communications Act, rather than a blanket prohibition on transfers altogether. 

Word is that while the FCC website is a trainwreck, the help desk is actually pretty helpful. It might be worth giving them a call to ask if they'll be amenable to updating one of the two to girlfriend's info (whether you have more than one FRN, or need to set her up with one). Also, high probability she'll need to be present to do so. If not, they should at least be able to set yours straight under one license and one FRN.

1 hour ago, MichaelLAX said:

How does someone have a "spare" GMRS license???

A search of the ULS shows only one GMRS license under the name "Collins, Glen E" (Somewhat humorous call sign too -- starts WRTH... Wasn't that the abbreviation for the old World Radio/TV Handbook ?).

Said license was granted June 18 2022 -- one day after the OP posted ? (with, it appears, the application having been June 16)

26 minutes ago, KAF6045 said:

A search of the ULS shows only one GMRS license under the name "Collins, Glen E" (Somewhat humorous call sign too -- starts WRTH... Wasn't that the abbreviation for the old World Radio/TV Handbook ?).

Said license was granted June 18 2022 -- one day after the OP posted ? (with, it appears, the application having been June 16)

Good looking out. Perhaps the OP was intending to try to register a 2nd and then transfer it?

11 minutes ago, wayoverthere said:

Good looking out. Perhaps the OP was intending to try to register a 2nd and then transfer it?

One wonders if the "GF" might be ineligible for a GMRS license (under age -- there doesn't seem to be a requirement that they be a US citizen in Part 95E)

2 minutes ago, KAF6045 said:

One wonders if the "GF" might be ineligible for a GMRS license (under age -- there doesn't seem to be a requirement that they be a US citizen in Part 95E)

Or just trying to give her a nudge when she lacks the interest to complete the process herself. I know my better half (and kiddo) couldn't be any less interested....as soon as I mention the words "radio" or "antenna", their attention is gone.