WRQZ406

Hello everyone, I was wanting to possibly start a net/hub for GMRS users in the WHITE , PUTNAM, DEKALB , and VAN BUREN County region . Currently there is little to no channels being used In this area . If possible I would like help from enthusiasts in this area to come together to make this happen and possibly connect to Oak Ridge and Lebanon repeaters to connect the state . Comment your thoughts please . I’m new to GMRS and just want to help the community grow and connect more people ! 

Thank you !

WRQZ406 

Hello everyone, I was wanting to possibly start a net/hub for GMRS users in the WHITE , PUTNAM, DEKALB , and VAN BUREN County region . Currently there is little to no channels being used In this area . If possible I would like help from enthusiasts in this area to come together to make this happen and possibly connect to Oak Ridge and Lebanon repeaters to connect the state . Comment your thoughts please . I’m new to GMRS and just want to help the community grow and connect more people ! 
Thank you !
WRQZ406 
I'm in Putnam county and would love to help.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

Awsome ! How often do you listen in ? Do you know of any local GMRS repeaters ? 
To my knowledge there are NO repeaters in the area. I've listened on my HT but hear nothing. Sometimes you'll hear somebody that working traffic but it's FRS.

I'm just getting started in GMRS, and disabled, so me doing a repeater is not going to happen. There needs to be something between Lebanon and Crossville.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

There are quite a few repeaters coming online in East TN.  The one nearest me is on a mountain up 4860 feet.  It has a very long reach.  It can go a little past Knoxville but it won't make it as far west as youall.  Would be nice if we could link them up and cover the state like MTEARS.

7 hours ago, Gearhead said:

There are quite a few repeaters coming online in East TN.  The one nearest me is on a mountain up 4860 feet.  It has a very long reach.  It can go a little past Knoxville but it won't make it as far west as youall.  Would be nice if we could link them up and cover the state like MTEARS.

We are really talking more East central TN . Around Putnam County White county there is little to no GMRS coverage that I know of . The 150 mile oak ridge repeater doesn’t connect in this area neither does the crossville 100 mile repeater . 

But I was hoping to get a community together to do exactly that . Connect at least the state . 

But I was hoping to get a community together to do exactly that . Connect at least the state . 
The suck thing is we have some sad hams in the area in question which have ruined the hobby and will fight tooth and nail to keep a GMRS repeater out.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, TNRonin said:

The suck thing is we have some sad hams in the area in question which have ruined the hobby and will fight tooth and nail to keep a GMRS repeater out.

That's really sad.  Sounds like a great group of guys.  If someone had the funds and skill to set up a repeater there really isn't much they could do to stop you.

6 hours ago, TNRonin said:

Well they control the towers and actively block people.

They may control there own towers but thats it. I doubt they manager the public safety towers nor any of the commercial providers. With that said depending on location most of the commercial providers (american tower & crown castle) are going to require liability insurance as well as a hefty monthly fee for antenna at x feet up the tower. Your better off finding a private tower owner (not many) at a business or something that is no longer using his tower. In the NE there are many towers with UHF antenna's sitting on top for when they had SMR radios before cell. 

Alternatively a good piece of property and a 50' tower is not a hard thing to accomplish as long as there are no restrictions with the town/municipality involved. 

Our first tower site for our SAR team was owned by a concrete company. You could almost not see the building with growth. We told them we would clean up the site, mow all year and help fix windows doors etc. We were there for 5 years until we moved to a county site. It was a great partnership and we left the place much better than it was. With that said we were a 501C3 with insurance. Without that it may be a stumbling block in these days. 

1 hour ago, TNRonin said:

the people with the towers control access.

That's true everywhere, whether the tower is owned by a corporation or an individual.  "My tower, my rules."

As others have said, your choices would appear to be: a) find a company or organization that has a tower and would be willing to let you rent space on it or b) put up your own tower.

That's true everywhere, whether the tower is owned by a corporation or an individual.  "My tower, my rules."
As others have said, your choices would appear to be: a) find a company or organization that has a tower and would be willing to let you rent space on it or B) put up your own tower.
Thanks

Another idea.  Find a farmer with a high hill.  See if he would lease you a spot for a tower and small utility building.  If you could get a group together to share the expense it wouldn't be too bad.  You might also offer to provide a public service to the community during severe weather etc.   Sometimes folks will be willing to donate a little towards something like that.  If the local sad hams are a bunch of a-holes I'd get real creative and make something happen.

Another idea.  Find a farmer with a high hill.  See if he would lease you a spot for a tower and small utility building.  If you could get a group together to share the expense it wouldn't be too bad.  You might also offer to provide a public service to the community during severe weather etc.   Sometimes folks will be willing to donate a little towards something like that.  If the local sad hams are a bunch of a-holes I'd get real creative and make something happen.

Towers and farmer's fields don't go together well if the farmer uses ariel spraying.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a location on the Putnam White County line I’m sure I could place the setup . Just getting the complete knowledge to build the set up and funds is a different story . I just got into GMRS and don’t have much knowledge on what it would take to legally and physically do it 

From what I’ve looked up and read , all the things I’ll need for a 50w repeater will be around 500-600$ . Then whatever it cost to run It . 

On 7/10/2022 at 5:22 PM, WRQZ406 said:

From what I’ve looked up and read , all the things I’ll need for a 50w repeater will be around 500-600$ . Then whatever it cost to run It . 

That's not what I've heard from repeater owners.   i believe you are way under estimating the cost. (Of course, a repeater owner could tell you better than I. )

10 hours ago, WRDB702 said:

That's not what I've heard from repeater owners.   i believe you are way under estimating the cost. (Of course, a repeater owner could tell you better than I. )

The duplexer I’m going to use is 50watt output and cost around 180$ . Then 250$ ish for the antenna and wiring . Then hardware to mount it , a post to set it to , and a bag of quick create . Add about another 150$ maybe . But that’s off what I know …. So very little lol 

I think a lot of repeater owners stretch the truth when it comes to how much they paid or maybe when they bought there equipment it was expensive and now a days it’s cheaper . But from the research of done myself I’ve found that 800$ can get you a pretty nice set up 500-600 will get you out there with GMRS but hams is different. The max output is different so you get different results. 

please correct me if I’m wrong 

Fumei UHF 400-470MHz 50W Duplexer for Radio Repeater with Preseted Low Frequency 462MHz & High Frequency 467MHz & N Female connectors https://a.co/d/3Ttyvr4

Diamond X510HDM Base Antenna, 2m/70cm, UHF, 17ft https://a.co/d/34dh5hu

YOTENKO CB Coax Cable,RG58 Coaxial Cable 49.2Ft,UHF PL259 Male to Male Cable + 2PCS UHF SO239 Female to Female Adapter for CB Ham Radio,SWR Meter,Antenna Analyzer,HF Radio,Amateur Radio https://a.co/d/hpcVv4b